Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ruger .30 M-1 BHK shoots 2" high at 11 paces with reloads loaded to 1,100 FPS...with the rear sight bottomed out...and tips in what I can do to get it to shoot to point of aim?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Can the front site be changed out, isn't it a matter of driving out the pin and putting in a front post with a different hight? Also heavy bullets hit high and higher yet with a high velocity. If your shooting a hotter load that could mean you need to take the front site down. If its pinned Ruger can send another one if soldered try adjusting your load / bullet weight first. If want to grind your front post take a little off at a time. But wait to see what others have to say. Look up Iowegan on here and send him a question see what he says.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the bullet weight changes the point of impact quite a bit in my 45 long colt.
200gr 230gr & 250gr all hit there own points of elevation.
I know zip about your caliber, but it might work the same way.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Another thought too, Ruger makes an "Express Sight" rear blade for your bhk. That gives you more adjustment. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
When all else failed, I've actually filed down the rear sight on some of my fixed sight guns to lower the point of impact. It's a drastic measure and irreversible, so explore other options, first. If you have to go this route, take a file with you to the range and go, slowly, shooting frequently for effect. I'd definitely try finding a taller front sight, first.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Um . . . all else being equal, filing down the front sight RAISES the point of impact.
Yes,-- front is opposite of the rear, shooting high, needs a taller front, It's been my experience that a slower moving bullet will shoot high,
It's in the barrel longer during recoil--faster bullet exits quicker while the barrel is lower.
More pronounced with a week grip. I don't have the stats in front of me but you may want to compare factory Vel. with your reloads.
Also check your site picture and trigger squeeze, ( just saying )

·
Registered
831 Posts
My 357 Blackhawk with 4 5/8 bbl shot high with the adjustable rear sight bottomed out, like yours. I contacted Ruger with my issue. They sent a taller front site blade and pin to me on their nickel. It is, however, my understanding that only the stainless steel guns have pinned front sight blades. A taller sight on a blued gun probably needs a 'smith.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts