Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my newly returned from Ruger repair Redhawk out for the first time since coming back yesterday. Started with factory 45 acp, Remington and Winchester, both ball 230 gr. things started well, revolver was humming until the 5th moon clip. I went to thumb back the hammer and the cylinder froze. wouldn't turn, wouldn't open. my first thought was a squib and the bullet was jamming the cylinder but I knew that couldn't be because the last round went off like the others, nothing giving me an indication something was wrong. I put a cleaning rod down just to make sure nothing was lodged and pretty much forced the cylinder open, and it did take some force to move it. I saw nothing wrong and emptied the remaining ammo out and tried to shut the cylinder, saw the ratchet on the extractor was scraping on the frame. wtf, nothing appeared loose with the cylinder. the face of the frame where the ratchet mates up had some serious chew marks in a circular pattern. Cleaned behind the extractor thinking unburned powder was pushing the extractor out but it was clean behind there anyway.

Loaded 45 Colts, forced the cylinder shut, cocked the hammer, boom, and now my cylinder problem is gone. The Redhawk is working like a champ, through 50 rounds of 45 colt. Wish I had an answer. Got to be something to do with the full moon clips?? I have 18 Ruger moon clips, tried them all, and all seemed to bind up somehow.

I did try a few more 45 acp's after the Colts and everything was fine. One note, had a light strike on a primer with failure to ignite. Had one last time out also. I didn't try a re-strike, just dropped them in the dud bucket. Both were 45 acp's.

Came away with no indication why the cylinder was binding....again....with the moon clips.

Someone asked about accuracy since it came back from repair with the 45 acp loads. Groups seemed to have opened up a bit but honestly, my frustration and the cold weren't helping much. But 45 Colt...nice tight groups at maybe 21 feet off hand. Next time out I'll sandbag it at 25 yds.

I'm not gonna give up on this Redhawk unless it just up and dies. I will call Ruger again but I think it's going to a gunsmith this time in my area. Sounds crazy but I like this revolver too much and issues aside, it's a lot of fun to shoot. I'm sure all will be well again soon.

If there's any interest, I'll keep updating.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I tried to check them best I could, no I don't think so. When I load the revolver and close the cylinder, you can see daylight between the rear of the cartridges and the face of the frame wall, now. It was a bit tight before the return. They look like they are stamped from some sort of spring steel. This is my first experience with any type of moon clip...either half or full. I didn't send the gun back with any of the clips either. Might have been a mistake on my part not doing so.

ETA-I'm thinking next time out I should mark each clip and see if any in particular make it bind.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Are you using the same manufacturer's brass for each moon clip? If not that will be your problem plus the fact you likey are using brass shot in a pistol. This often causes burrs on the rim of the brass which will either catch on the face plate of the revolver or cause the moon clip itself to bind on the face plate.
As long as you use brass from different manufacturers in a moon clip and/or don;t keep your revolver brass separate you are going to have problems. I had a 625 Smith that drove me crazy until I figured out what the issues are with moon clips. It isn;t your gun it is the brass and moon clips.

Bob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the update. This revolver is on my list of must have Rugers. I am a Cowboy Action shooter that reloads 45 Colt and 45 acp. After reading your problem I have put this purchase on delay. Please update with your next shooting experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounded like the op is using new factory rounds from Winchester and Remington so not sure how it could be the brass.

Greencobra thanks for the post, I'm wondering if after the last shot the moon clip backs out a bit and then binds. No weight from the rounds keeping the moon clip flush and perhaps upon dentonation the clip backs out a bit.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had zero clip/loading hangups with either of the two sample guns I had, with any of the multiple factory loads & brands tested.
Dunno what you're doing wrong, but you should probably stop doing it.
Denis

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had zero clip/loading hangups with either of the two sample guns I had, with any of the multiple factory loads & brands tested.
Dunno what you're doing wrong, but you should probably stop doing it.
Denis
I'm not convinced it's a clip issue either. i'll get it out again soon and see what happens.

I have shooting pins with this revolver in my head, should be fun. Anyone can use a semi auto, but a big ole honking revolver spitting out 45 acp's, that's more fun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Might have better luck overall for that purpose with a dedicated Smith ACP.
Denis
nah, it's gotta be this revolver, hard to understand i guess. i'm at that age where i'm in the last quarter of my shooting activities. i've lusted this gun since it was announced, had to wait for it to get it on "the list" of massachusetts approved guns, then waited again cause there were none to be had. waited again while it went back for repair, i'll get it running...or die trying. :eek:

ETA...gotta give me that proverbial A for effort....and determination. :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Definitely points for both, just saying the Smith is lighter, can have a better trigger, clips are infinitely cheaper, and the dedicated Smith ACP will not be as ammo-sensitive in .45 ACP as the Ruger.

Those who buy the Ruger strictly as an ACP gun may be disappointed.
For that purpose, the Smith will be a more practical choice for most.
Denis

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's on my list too, probably in the next two weeks. Really looking forward to my first revolver purchase in ~20 years. Only my 3rd revolver.

·
Banned
586 Posts
I had (and sold ) a 6.inch S&W 25 with the same problem.

The new owner sent it back to Smith with 18 points to correct on it.

I moved to Las Vegas after that so I don't know the final outcome.

Nowdays, I do have some interest in this new RedHawk, but if it will not
run in .45 ACP, it will still run in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the update. This revolver has become my personal favorite since acquiring it about 6 months ago. My particular specimen has performed flawlessly with the Ruger moon clips using Speer and Federal factory 45 ACP ammo. However best groups have been produced using 45 Colt ammo. The less expensive ACP ammo is accurate enough for practice; but for precision shooting, the 45 Colt rounds are the cat's meow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the update. This revolver has become my personal favorite since acquiring it about 6 months ago. My particular specimen has performed flawlessly with the Ruger moon clips using Speer and Federal factory 45 ACP ammo. However best groups have been produced using 45 Colt ammo. The less expensive ACP ammo is accurate enough for practice; but for precision shooting, the 45 Colt rounds are the cat's meow.
I've noticed the same effect with my New Vaquero .45 Colt / .45 ACP convertible. No moon clips, but smaller groups with the .45 Colt. I was hoping to save money by using .45 ACP, but the .45 Colt is pretty sweet (my first one).

·
Banned
586 Posts
Unlike .44 Special and .41 Magnum, there seems to be more .45 Colt around here.

Of course, .45 ACP is very abundant.

What is a street price on this RedHawk?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts