Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being a huge fan of the .22-250 I recently aquired a Savage model 112 heavy barreled varminter and mounted a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC, RAPID-Z Varmint Ballistic scope and sighted it in at 200 yards using factory Remington 55gr SP's. Wind speed was under 4mph, relative humidity was 54% and temps were around 73 degrees. I was able to dial it in to print sub 1/2" 5 shot groupings consistantly at the 200 yard range. I figured it was time to go further out so we lasered out a distance of 440 yards and made the nessesary elevation adjustments. Firing from the Caldwell Lead sled I was able to dial it in to replicate the 1/2" groupings like the previous 200 yard line with only three shots. It performed flawlessly. After a thourough bore cleaning we then lasered out 625 yards and again added more elevation adjustment clicks to get it on the 10 ring. After shooting 4 shots I was able to get it to hit on center and began printing sets of sub 2" 5 shot groups at 625 yards! This is the farthest consistant string of 2" groups I have ever performed with any varmint rifle! My shooting partner was so impressed that he began searching out a Savage varminter for himself! I am very pleased with this rifle/scope combo and can't wait to put it to use in the field on roosting crows.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sounds like a Savage to me! I have been extremely impressed with my Savage rifles (Model 10 predator hunter in .223 and a MKII BV) but I've never tried a 625 yd group, that is amazing! Good shootin'!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Very good group. I am most amazed by a group I shot about 20 years ago with my ruger model 77 in 30-06. I shot 31/2 inch off hand with iron sights at 250 yards. I have never duplicated anything like this again.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry folks but I typoed the 440 yard groupings at 1/2" when I actually meant to type 1". I took it out again today and couldn't attempt any more 600+ yard groups (didn't even try) because of intermittent 10 to 20 mph wind gusts. We have a better protected 150 yard range that is cut out below grade so wind isn't as much a factor so we tried some shorter range shooting, from 125 yards I set up some steel bottle caps embedded in a 2' length of 2x4 but the .22-250 hit it so hard that it splintered the entire 2x4 on the first shot. We then set up some clay birds up on the berm at the end of the range ( 158 yards indicated on the laser) and it easily broke them up so I began targeting the broken pieces and hit each of them at will! I'm really loving this setup! Makes me wish we had woodchuck's in my area, guess I'll have to settle for crows and squirrels from a "sporting distance"!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Freedom, Thank a VET!!!
1,625 Posts
Dozer02 glad to hear about your Savage 22-250 model 112! I purchased 4 of them in various calibers last year and put Bushnell scopes on all of them. The calibers are 22-250, .223, .204 Ruger, and 25/06.

I started to work up loads shortly after by my Diabetes smacked me down and kept me from walking on my feet, terrible pain and very hot. So hoping I can get close to your results in the coming months. I really do like those Savage Rifles for accuracy you betch!!!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts