Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In building my personal collection of firearms there have been specific guns I bought intensionally to pass on to my daughters and wife. In my recent trips to training and defense classes with my girls there choices in selecting weapons usually deviates from what I initially bought for them specifically.

Recently I took my eldest daughter to the range and offered any of the pistols brought for her to chose as a personal defense weapon for her to keep. We had quite an assortment, with the following guns, S&W 642 Air-weight 38SP, Ruger LCP 380 Two Tone, Glock 36 45 acp, Glock 42 380, Glock 43 9mm, Glock 19, Glock 17, S&W M&P Shield 9mm with Crimson trace green laser, Springfield XDE 9mm, Ruger GP100 Match Champ 357, and lastly a CZ 2075 Rami 40. Needless to say I tried to steer her into the sub compact smaller calibers & pistols. When we started she shot the LCP, Glock 42, 43, and S&W 642 DA only pistols and could only marginally perform in any simulation. We were shooting at a VR animated shooting facility with multiple target choices and ranges. Initially the best groups were with the glock 43 & 42. Next She shot the M&P shield 9mm which I bought specifically for her; this gun I shoot extremely well and its hard not to like. Next the CZ Rami 40 was a one shot nooooo way. Upon firing the Glock 19 she hit 90% of the targets and fell in love with the pistol, she never shot another gun after that. She ran an additional 250 rounds through the 19 without a malfunction.

In introducing my daughter to numerous guns with no knowledge about any specifics, brands, models, & Technical features it is not surprising to see she chose a weapon that points and shoots where she aims. This gun will be carried in a purse or car so size is not the main issue. It was neat to see her gravitate to a specific firearm having no insight to guns other than what was available during the range training sessions. So I guess the moral of the story is if you have to choose one gun and you have no knowledge about firearms brands or models choosing the weapon most comfortable that shoots where you aim is probably the best choice. Or buy what you really want and if they hate it you are pretty much guaranteed to keep that Colt Anaconda, or 2.5" Python that is soooo unpleasant to shoot.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,752 Posts
So I guess the moral of the story is if you have to choose one gun and you have no knowledge about firearms brands or models choosing the weapon most comfortable that shoots where you aim is probably the best choice. Or buy what you really want and if they hate it you are pretty much guaranteed to keep that Colt Anaconda, or 2.5" Python that is soooo unpleasant to shoot.
That's a wise moral. I never bought my wife a gun; we'd shoot many until she found what she liked best: it's a 4.2” GP100 in our case. It's not carried.

The 19 is a great choice. I'm not a fan of polymer anything, but I shoot that weapon really well. Never had a malfunction, either.

Since your daughter will carry the gun off body, do get her a sleeve for it if you've not already. You sound savvy enough to know why, and maybe you've already done so.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Great job letting her choose. I went through the same thing. We were actually trying to find a carry gun, but my daughter chose an HK VP9. Awesome choice in my book. I was trying to steer her into a Shield as well, but that can come later. Learn to shoot a larger gun well, then move to a smaller one. Always let a new shooter choose the gun they want.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All the guns have holster options included. The G19 she has chosen include a scabbard as well and kydex and ISWB options. All my carry options as well as modified magazines. My cool retrofitted G19 gen 5 is now daughter #1's personal defense pistol. Hope she never needs it but glad she has it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I also chose a Glock 19 when I actually got to choose my own pistol, which was after hubby bought one (can't even remember the brand anymore) he thought would be good for me to use and it was total junk and went marching back to the store. I became a totally dedicated Glock girl and shot them very well indeed for over 15 years. I had every 9mm model they made.

My Gen 2 17 was absolutely my favorite - perhaps because of no finger grooves on the grip. However, I had to slide my hand slightly around the grip of every double stack Glock I owned in order to reach the trigger!

One big problem is that my right hand is now totally trashed with severe arthritis of the thumb and total collapse of the wrist bones. The Glock grips were TOO LARGE for my medium size hands and I had to turn them so the center of the grip was not in the center of the web of my hand, but each and every shot recoiled back onto my thumb joint. After being slammed like that over 15,000 times over the years, there is irreparable damage.

Please check your daughter's grip and if she cannot keep the very center of the backstrap right in the center of the web of her hand, tell her that I am paying the huge price in constant pain for not ever knowing that would ruin my hand! NO ONE ever noticed that this could be a problem because I shot so very well.

I now shoot left handed, either .380 or .22, because that is all I dare use. My right hand does hurt after I shoot a range session even though it is the supporting hand now, but I WILL keep shooting, whatever it takes.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a grip that fits the hand properly, and much as it pained and saddened me to give up my beloved Glocks, the only one I have left now is my G42.

The orthopedic surgeon I went to told me he did NOT want to even consider surgery because the damage is so extensive that if he did the surgery required to ease the pain I would lose most of the use of my hand. So, with the help of Aleve and physical therapy exercises, I live with it.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Wise...to let her try several and then choose her own...on her own! She'll be that much more apt to carry one she felt she had a choice with rather than be told which one she will have.

I've applied that principle to my wife and daughter...and my wife prefers 9mm over other calibers...and my daughter prefers .38 special as she likes wheel guns!

My wife, over the holidays, actually asked me if I could build her an AR Pistol in 9mm...to which I replied, "Of course..." (Guess what I get to build this spring??? :D )

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I also chose a Glock 19 when I actually got to choose my own pistol, which was after hubby bought one (can't even remember the brand anymore) he thought would be good for me to use and it was total junk and went marching back to the store. I became a totally dedicated Glock girl and shot them very well indeed for over 15 years. I had every 9mm model they made.

My Gen 2 17 was absolutely my favorite - perhaps because of no finger grooves on the grip. However, I had to slide my hand slightly around the grip of every double stack Glock I owned in order to reach the trigger!

One big problem is that my right hand is now totally trashed with severe arthritis of the thumb and total collapse of the wrist bones. The Glock grips were TOO LARGE for my medium size hands and I had to turn them so the center of the grip was not in the center of the web of my hand, but each and every shot recoiled back onto my thumb joint. After being slammed like that over 15,000 times over the years, there is irreparable damage.

Please check your daughter's grip and if she cannot keep the very center of the backstrap right in the center of the web of her hand, tell her that I am paying the huge price in constant pain for not ever knowing that would ruin my hand! NO ONE ever noticed that this could be a problem because I shot so very well.

I now shoot left handed, either .380 or .22, because that is all I dare use. My right hand does hurt after I shoot a range session even though it is the supporting hand now, but I WILL keep shooting, whatever it takes.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a grip that fits the hand properly, and much as it pained and saddened me to give up my beloved Glocks, the only one I have left now is my G42.

The orthopedic surgeon I went to told me he did NOT want to even consider surgery because the damage is so extensive that if he did the surgery required to ease the pain I would lose most of the use of my hand. So, with the help of Aleve and physical therapy exercises, I live with it.
That's great advice about proper grip, and one reason I'm not a Glock fan. I shoot Glocks well, but they literally feel like a 2x4 in my hand. When holding that VP9 vs Glock I feel there's no comparison in the ergonomics. I do wish Glock would step outside the box and make some changes. Shooting seems so much more diversified now. Young, middle age, older. We don't all fall into one category. But hey, they sell the crap out of them, so why change?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Nice having a couple indoor ranges that rent guns. The buck stopped here when the women discovered the changeable backstraps on the S&W M&P series and the already natural feel grip angle. :D

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Great job letting her choose.

Always let a new shooter choose the gun they want.
Agree with Hunter. You did a fantastic job getting the eldest exposed to a variety of handguns. Bravo.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I was teaching my daughter to shoot we had several different styles for her to choose from. Once she got the basics down of grip, stance, sight picture and follow through, we went through as many as possible without trying to prejudge anything for her
She didn't like the bite of the snubby 38 even with wadcutters but seemed to handle everything else well. She actually shot and liked shooting my P-90 very well which I thought strange as she is short in stature. Proves that you never know what works best.
After trying various ones she has settled for now on the SR9c but claims she wants a 1911. I have no problem with that either.
I guess the point is that I agree with how you handled it and letting them make the choice is always the best way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts