Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give an update on my Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary edition. I bought this new a few years ago, my first rifle getting back in to shooting and firearms.

To be honest I've been a bit disappointed. Right from the get go, it has always intermittently jammed, mainly stove pipes I think. Just enough to make me think this isn't a fun plinking rifle. My wife bought me a BX25 mag and that made things worse, jamming at least once or twice every mag.

After reading a lot of threads, yes CCI copper plated bullets performed better but I didn't buy this fun plinking gun only to be able to use the expensive ammo. I wanted to use whatever I can get my hands on. I read others saying their 10/22 eats anything.

So I bought and installed an aftermarket Volquartsen extroctor and spring of Amazon for $16. Took it to the range yesterday and had a literal blast!! Not one jam and I was using CCI lead and copper bullet as well as Federal bulk lead and it ran like a champ!! I even unloaded as quickly as I could a few BX25 mags with the federal bulk and not one problem. Now that's what Ive been looking for. Shot real straight too!

As far as the installation. When I took the original extractor out, it was REAL grimy and gritty to move. I've never really moved it manually before but it had a lot of crap on it. I really haven't shot it that much and have always had the jams from day one. Just giving the original extractor, spring and its hole a good clean may have fixed the problem also? It may have been like that from the factory. But for $16 I didn't mind putting the new one in and keeping the old (now clean) one as a spare.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A VQ extractor is always a wise thing to install when one encounters jamming with a 10/22. It holds onto the fired case much tighter than a factory extractor, allowing the case to come back and hit the ejector edge on the magazine, instead the case flipping loose. It also pulls out a live round much better in my experience.

Happy "10/22-ing". Joe

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the Ruger 10/22 Anniversary edition as well. I bought it last April. Yes, I initially had may stove-pipes and jams.

Wait, there is a happy ending.

I did the same things that everyone suggested. I replaced the extractor and ejector with aftermarket ones. I'm not sure how much that helped.

What worked for me?

I shot the thing.

I shot the thing a thousand times.

When it jammed, I cleared it and kept shooting. Every 1 to 2 hundred rounds, cleaned the actions so well, I could eat off of it. I used the lubrication products recommend to me by my RO. The bolt spring needs to be really well tended to. Still, I shot it and shot it some more.

Now, I don't remember the last time I had a jam.

Happy Shooting.

P.S. I upgraded the barrel and the trigger and now it single-holes at 25 yards.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
For the small amount of money, the VQ Exact Edge extractor is one of the best investments you can make in your 10/22. I replaced the OEM extractor in my 1973 vintage 10/22 a couple of years ago. Didn't really need to, it still hums like a top tho. If you want a better trigger pull, get the VQ hammer too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts