Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, everyone!

I have had a couple folks ask me to keep the forum updated regarding my in progress 10/22 build.

I'll start by noting that this is the first rifle I will have owned. I didn't grow up in a family of shooters, so I've kind of caught the bug much later than some folks probably did. :) I'm 26, and didn't shoot my first gun until I was in my early 20s, and only recently purchased my first firearm and started regularly going to the local range.

As such, this'll be my first rifle, and my first build. I'm on a strict budget, so it won't be anything earth-shattering, but it'll be special to me. Nonetheless, don't let that dissuade you from making recommendations on which component I should change next, etc., because I don't think this will be something I put together once, and never tweak again as I have more money to spend on it.

I'm interested in long-range shooting (500-1000+) yards, in the long-term, but recognize that I have a lot of work to do at even 100 yards in order to develop my skill to the point that I could conceivably shoot accurately at such distances.

In the meantime, I felt it was important to have an inexpensive-to-shoot .22, and a Ruger 10/22 seemed like an appropriate place to start my rifle collection.

It is, in effect, a 50th Anniversary 10/22 with a Magpul Hunter X-22 stock and a BX trigger. I would like to put a bi-pod on it, but haven't determined which one to purchase... and will eventually put a fluted, threaded bull barrel on it, as I'd like the increased accuracy, and flexibility to add a suppressor, down the road. I don't ever see myself doing anything exciting, like a 500 dollar receiver, or a 3-500 dollar custom trigger; it's just not in the cards, as the next 1,000 dollars I spend on a firearm will likely be on a bolt-action center-fire with optics, to perpetuate my fantasy of being a good marksman. :)

Thanks for reading!
Tim

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. Looking forward to seeing your updates on the progress. Obviously a good idea to start small and work up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So much for not knowing which bipod I'm getting...

Harris Bipods - HBRMS Bipod

Just ordered a Harris BRM-S, 6-9". Should do nicely! Was able to justify the cost by telling myself I'll wind up using it on my center-fire rifle down the road, too. Heheh.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, my BX trigger came today... yesterday, rather.

I'm going to regret this, but what is everyone's opinion on the BX trigger? Bearing in mind I'm aware there are better out there, but that finances constrained my purchase of them. ;)

Also, to note, and something I saw someone reference in another post... I'm not sure how much money I want to pour into this endeavour, so I felt like an aftermarket, but not expensive, trigger was in order; thus the BX.

I'm excited to get this thing together and see how it shoots, and more importantly, how I feel about it... will it be all of I've imagined, or will I still be looking for more? :D I think I know the answer... I just need to pace myself, because my wallet won't take much more of this fast-paced beating. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Flagstaff 40" Ruger rifle bag came today: Flagstaff Ruger® 10/22® Rifle Case-ShopRuger Also, my slide assembly, bushing, pins, takedown screw, charging rod, and 10-round rotary magazine... Should have the rest of the essentials (stock, barrel, receiver), by Wednesday, and the build should be in a preliminary state of completion by the week's end! :)

My local range is doing a 3-gun shoot on Saturday, but I should be able to go shooting Wednesday/Thursday evening and perhaps Sunday. Man, it's like Christmas every time the mail arrives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely, DeFer!

My Harris bipod came today, which is awesome. The barrel I ordered is missing in action, right now... not awesome. So now I have no idea when the barrel will arrive. The seller luckily has several more, so he can always ship a second one, but how frustrating. It was supposed to arrive today, marking the completion of the essential parts, and allowing me to go to the range this evening and fire it... Ah, best laid plans, interrupted by the USPS. Heheh. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news, folks! The barrel which was MIA finally got scanned at my local post office. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow, and that will mark the final piece of my 10/22, allowing me to go out and shoot it tomorrow evening! :D Ahhh, I'm excited!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay! Here is my completed (as if, haha...) Ruger 10/22, based on Magpul Hunter X-22 stock. Yey.

Took it to the range and put about 60-70 rounds through it... Lot of fun. Can't tell if it's just me (probably), or if the gun is shooting to the left. How common is it to put together a 10/22 and have to make some sort of adjustment for accuracy of iron sights?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I am thinking really hard about that Magpul stock for mine. I love the fact that it is convertible for both barrel styles. The 1022 was my first rifle also, nearly 40 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts