Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I did it. I never thought I would own one nevertheless build one. I'm going to stick with the iron sights for now. I took it to the range for the first time on Friday and after a few adjustments to the rear sight I was nearly dead on at 50 yards.

Cmmg stripped lower
DPMS lower parts kit
Factory cmmg buffer tube
Magpul ctr stock
Hogue grip
Upper is a Rock River Arms elite comp 1 to 9 in twist barrel chrome lined
16 inch barrel mid length gas system
Chambered in 5.56

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Looks good! How about some specs? What components did you use?

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Sounds like a great kit! I've considered building one, but I'm so impatient. I want one NOW! I really am considering just buying the parts a little at a time though and learning to put it all together from scratch. I think it would be fun to do that.

Mind if I ask how much you've got in the build? No worries if you're not comfortable divulging that information. Could be incriminating if your other half is on the forum. :D Also, speaking of the forum, welcome. I see you've only got a handful of posts. Glad to have you on board. Give a shout if you need anything at all!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a great kit! I've considered building one, but I'm so impatient. I want one NOW! I really am considering just buying the parts a little at a time though and learning to put it all together from scratch. I think it would be fun to do that.

Mind if I ask how much you've got in the build? No worries if you're not comfortable divulging that information. Could be incriminating if your other half is on the forum. :D Also, speaking of the forum, welcome. I see you've only got a handful of posts. Glad to have you on board. Give a shout if you need anything at all!
I've got around 1000 into it. You can build a basic one for around 700. I used a friends tools to build mine. You will need some punches and AR wrenches and a bench vice. The bench vice is not necessary but it makes it easier. If you have no patience and want to shoot now you can buy a good one on sale for about 900. It start adding up on the build depending on the barrel and the length and quality of the hand guard. If its something your considering just watch YouTube videos of how to build an AR 15 and they will provide excellent demonstration on how to build one and what is involved. Thanks for the welcome! I originally came here looking to fix an issue I had with my sr40c. This is a great forum

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice build! You must feel great about it.
Just curious as to why you went with a chrome lined barrel?
This topic comes up a lot. The chrome lined barrels are easier to clean and supposed to last longer. However its stated that chrome lined are not as accurate but I don't know if that's true or not. I told the sales rep and people I was talking to and when mentioned I'll put around 500 rounds a month through this rifle using 55 gr 193 it was suggested I go with chrome lined 1 to 9 in twist ratio. I'll find out when I get my acog scope and go for 400 yds.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Overall cost? Just curious cause I might build one now! Lol

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Nice rifle, they appear close to a few I built for myself. I also like the idea of the RRA half quad. I own 3 RRA factory built guns, before I modified them and have always been pleased with them as well as Dpms rifles. Did you have any issue with getting parts for this build? I know I did with my recent Retro build, chalked up to the election I believe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice rifle, they appear close to a few I built for myself. I also like the idea of the RRA half quad. I own 3 RRA factory built guns, before I modified them and have always been pleased with them as well as Dpms rifles. Did you have any issue with getting parts for this build? I know I did with my recent Retro build, chalked up to the election I believe.
Thanks and yes I like the way the half quad looks too. Very comfortable and still enough room to mount accessories. I didn't have any issues getting parts but I believe right now the bolt carrier groups seem to be running out.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
This topic comes up a lot. The chrome lined barrels are easier to clean and supposed to last longer. However its stated that chrome lined are not as accurate but I don't know if that's true or not.
The reason for this is because the barrels are made to extremely accurate dimensions, including the rifling. The chrome is plating and the thickness or consistancy cannot be controlled as accurately as on a barrel that has not been plated.

It's explained in Patrick Sweeney's AR books (which I've only read part of the first one! :eek:)

There a great set to have, if you don't already. There are four of them and all available from Amazon.com.

EDIT: BTW - nice build! I've built a 1911 from parts, but not an AR... yet. :)

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Yeah the bolt carriers are getting hard to come by. I got lucky and scored a chrome bolt assembly from delton, but since they are out of stock. Also since I reload primers, and powder are also getting scarce.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
The reason for this is because the barrels are made to extremely accurate dimensions, including the rifling. The chrome is plating and the thickness or consistancy cannot be controlled as accurately as on a barrel that has not been plated.

It's explained in Patrick Sweeney's AR books (which I've only read part of the first one! :eek:)

There a great set to have, if you don't already. There are four of them and all available from Amazon.com.
I remember reading that, I have also read volume 1,2, and 3. Waiting for the next one if its not already out.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Yeah the bolt carriers are getting hard to come by. I got lucky and scored a chrome bolt assembly from delton, but since they are out of stock. Also since I reload primers, and powder are also getting scarce.
I got a nickel-boron plated BCG from Brownell's last year, made by Spikes Tactical, but I've also heard they're getting scarce.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

EDIT: BTW - nice build! I've built a 1911 from parts, but not an AR... yet. :)
Thanks I'll have to check it out. All the people I've talked to said for my needs (not really going past 400yds that a CL barrel would be fine. When I was debating on having one built from Daniel Defense the only barrels they offer are chrome lined. But yes I understand what you mean though I'll have to check out those books.

Hopefully my next one is a 1911

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A friend of mine was having trouble getting one as well but found out Daniel Defense had there chrome bolt carrier groups in stock. Cost is around 200 but it sure does look nice!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Yeah I hope this is not the new normal for getting parts, but hey no sense worrying about stuff you can't do anything about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts