Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of rimfire rifles and handguns, but recently I returned to the sport of deer hunting after a long hiatus. I decided I wanted to try the challenge of handgun hunting, so yesterday I purchased my first centerfire handgun....the Ruger GP100. The previous owner had it for 2 months (my store sold it to him) and sold it back to the gun shop where I work. It is in absolute MINT condition and I got it for $285 out the door.
Just found this site last week and I'm having a blast here.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Wildturkey, you can't go wrong with the GP100 for deer hunting. I have take 3 white tails with mine so far, and with practice and knowing your limitations a .357 is fine round for white tail size critters.

The 2 things I would recommend are...Barnes Expander Bullets, Federal Loads them, they hit like a hammer and do massive soft tissue damage. The other is placing yardage markers where you hunt. The .357 is capable of making clean kills out to around 50-60 yards; after that it looses power fast. I put a Bushnell red dot on top of mine for hunting season and love it; it improves my accuracy A BUNCH! Enjoy your GP100 you got a great deal, and a great gun!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any chance you can post a picture of yours with the red-dot on it?
I'm curious about the mounting configuration.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use the B-Square full length mount. It replaces your front and rear sights. I have NO problem with it, and I really like the ability to take it off quickly at the end of hunting season. I like to use the red dot on the 12 gauge for turkeys in the spring. Some folks here are not fans of this mount, and prefer to go with the drill tap method, that’s fine if that’s your preference, but I have never had this mount loose zero.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gun L00KS GOOD to me... <:))

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
A fine addition!!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I sure do like your GP100 WildTurkey! I like mine & am trying to decide what kind of scope to put on it. Johngoboom's B-square mount looks pretty good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is an excellent looking gun. I just got a GP 100 Stainless, it is a great gun. I really love these Ruger Revolvers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice; not bad for a red dot on a revolver. Hmm..... :rolleyes:
I just got myself a GP100, SS 4". It's a solid platform and just gets better every time out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those are some fine looking blued Rugers. :) Did B-Square ever make that sight for the 4" GP100, or is it just a 6 incher thing? :confused:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I really like the look of the GP-100 in blued finish. I am thinking of getting a .357 and the GP-100 tops the list.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congrats

Congrats on your GP. I just purchased my first Ruger as well. Wemnt with the SP101 3" .357. Figured the next one would be the GP (As soon as I can sneak it in :D)

Enjoy

·
Registered
65 Posts
nice GP; I want one like that SSOOOOO BBBAAADDD!!!

I was shopping around for a nice used one like yours for field use; no luck...all I could find were new ones; I didn't have enough funds available to get new, so I snagged a nice used stainless Blackhawk in .357 mag; still got a rugged workhorse for the field and I can 'retire' my Security Six to HD duty :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts