Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very recently bought my first Ruger SA; the Single-Seven .327 Federal Magnum. It's a beautiful piece of work.

I've owned several single-action revolvers, starting with a German-made .22 Magnum that I bought to plink and murder jackrabbits with during the 1960s. I have owned five or six cap-and-ball revolvers from my black powder days. But this chunky fellow is a real barn-burner.

The .327 Fed Mag is an uncharacteristicly powerful .32 caliber revolver. It can run pressures and velocities that exceed that of the .44 Remington Magnum. And it is LOUD! Kicks, too!

My sport and target shooting will therefore be mostly of the relatively mild .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long, and .32 S&W (Short) rounds, all of which the Ruger happily cycles through without a hiccup. I've got about 100 .32 S&W and 50 .32 H&Rs loaded, and am working on more.

It's a sweetheart to shoot. And it's beautiful. It is all stainless, has a birds-head grip and a short 3-3/4" barrel that look just right for it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,801 Posts
Congratulations. I've gotten my first SA gun too, recently: a Blackhawk in .357. It makes plinking loads of fun. The only problem is that I want another one, and the Single Seven in .327 is a contender for that purchase! I'd enjoy reloading for it. Have you seen the recent piece in Revolver Guy about a special edition of the gun?

https://revolverguy.com/shootists-35th-anniversary-bisley-single-seven/

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
I very recently bought my first Ruger SA; the Single-Seven .327 Federal Magnum. It's a beautiful piece of work.

I've owned several single-action revolvers, starting with a German-made .22 Magnum that I bought to plink and murder jackrabbits with during the 1960s. I have owned five or six cap-and-ball revolvers from my black powder days. But this chunky fellow is a real barn-burner.

The .327 Fed Mag is an uncharacteristicly powerful .32 caliber revolver. It can run pressures and velocities that exceed that of the .44 Remington Magnum. And it is LOUD! Kicks, too!

My sport and target shooting will therefore be mostly of the relatively mild .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long, and .32 S&W (Short) rounds, all of which the Ruger happily cycles through without a hiccup. I've got about 100 .32 S&W and 50 .32 H&Rs loaded, and am working on more.

It's a sweetheart to shoot. And it's beautiful. It is all stainless, has a birds-head grip and a short 3-3/4" barrel that look just right for it.
Congrats on the Single Seven. The Single Seven was my first SA as well. You will enjoy it, i have since picked up a Single Six and most recently a Wrangler ...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Congrats! I started with a Single Ten at the beginning of this year...now I have 7 Ruger single action revolvers...they are addictive. I love the looks of the birdshead Single Seven, but ammo for my 357 Mag (shooting -->38 Special) New Vaqueros is cheaper.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
Congrats! I started with a Single Ten at the beginning of this year...now I have 7 Ruger single action revolvers...they are addictive. I love the looks of the birdshead Single Seven, but ammo for my 357 Mag (shooting -->38 Special) New Vaqueros is cheaper.
The .32 platform is a great reason to get into handloading. It's a very economical cartridge to handload, but not to buy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got the blue Lipsey's. Great gun. But unfortunately mine's for sale. Need to thin the herd due to a pending job loss.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The .32 platform is a great reason to get into handloading. It's a very economical cartridge to handload, but not to buy.
So, you're one of "those guys"...an "enabler". LOL

I've been thinking of getting in to reloading, was planning to start with 38 special. I've never done any cartridge reloading, only shotgun shells.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Congrats. I have one and it works great. All I shoot out of it is .32 H&R Mag hand loads. The Single Seven was my first '.32' revolver. Since then I've added a few more .32 revolvers ... I call the .32 cartridge my 'reloadable' .22. Haven't shot much .32 since .22 became 'available' again ... hence my Single Six sits in my range bag now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I read it, and that's another Single Seven in .327 that I want now ...like the model in the article, mine is also a "Lipsey's Exclusive." The bird's head grip is striking. A Bisley-style hammer would be perfect.

My .32 S&W (Shorts) aren't the usual factory wimps. The manufacturers of ammo for the old break-tops kept pressures and velocities at or below that of black powder versions, as there were many very old BP-era revolvers in .32 S&W still out there. My handloads are accurate and fun to shoot, but in my Single Seven only.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I handload, it's not a problem. 12.5 grains of H-110 or 6 grains of CFE Pistol don't cost much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful guns, all! Your Birds Head is exactly the same as mine. But I have a tough time finding accessories that other calibers take for granted.

May I ask where you got your beautiful black leather reload holder? I'm having to pack my .327 Maggies in an MTM plastic six-shooter reload holder, with one more round squeezed in between the others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree whole-heartedly with this post AND your choices of firearms and motto.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Glad you guys finally discovered single actions. I’ve been collecting them and shooting them since the 70’s. Don’t know how many I own cause I won’t count em. I do have 4 different
.327 mags. Hope you all enjoy your singles and yes you will have more.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Beautiful guns, all! Your Birds Head is exactly the same as mine. But I have a tough time finding accessories that other calibers take for granted.

May I ask where you got your beautiful black leather reload holder? I'm having to pack my .327 Maggies in an MTM plastic six-shooter reload holder, with one more round squeezed in between the others.
I reached out to Mernickle Custom Leather and asked them if they would make a seven round ammo slide for my Single Seven, which they did. Highly recommend their work.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts