Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
The .32 platform is a great reason to get into handloading. It's a very economical cartridge to handload, but not to buy.
Yes and Yes to your last sentence ... however, I have trouble finding the right components to reload for my 327 ...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Enjoy your Ruger single action. I think you'll find Rugers are a good value. They are meant to be used.

I am in the process of discovering the beauty of the .32 caliber. A single 7 may need to come home with me sometime.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also have that revolver. Love the 3 3/4" barrel and fixed sights. What I did not care for was the Birdshead grip, so I bought a stainless regular grip and had it fitted. Also, a very nice set of genuine Rosewood grips that were thinned down and oiled. Looks like one of those old Colt Sheriff's revolvers now. Fits perfect in my hand.
I reload S&W Longs, 32 H&R and 327 Fed. Very inexpensive averaging around $13 a box of 50 for me. All my dies are Lee's, brass is Star Line and bullets are BadMan 100gr poly coated.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also have that revolver. Love the 3 3/4" barrel and fixed sights. What I did not care for was the Birdshead grip, so I bought a stainless regular grip and had it fitted. Also, a very nice set of genuine Rosewood grips that were thinned down and oiled. Looks like one of those old Colt Sheriff's revolvers now. Fits perfect in my hand.
I reload S&W Longs, 32 H&R and 327 Fed. Very inexpensive averaging around $13 a box of 50 for me. All my dies are Lee's, brass is Star Line and bullets are BadMan 100gr poly coated.
Looks great! I really like the birdshead grips on the ones I have...I would have to buy two of those birdhead single sevens, and put a plow handle grip on one of them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks !!
And I just finished a full polishing job on it and the original brushed stainless is now a mirror shiny finish that looks like it was nickel/chrome plated. Looks all custom now.
A real show stopper and now my BBQ gun.
I'll have to get a new pic of it with the custom leather I had made for it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks. I'll check with them.

I haven't yet got a holster for it. I like the Sheriff's models for size.

Also, I'm looking at other options for grips, as I prefer wood or elkhorn over micarta.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm still with you. All Lee reloading equipment. Outstanding for the price.

I reload .32 S&W ('short') and .32 H&R for plinking and target-shooting, in that order. Also reload the .327s. Keeps costs more in line with my pockets.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes and Yes to your last sentence ... however, I have trouble finding the right components to reload for my 327 ...
Look to Lee Precision for their dies; I have their .32 H&R Magnum dies and they work just fine when adjusted for the longer .327s. Prices are low, low and quality is good.

Hornady XTPs in .312 size are my favorites for serious social work, and Acme Bullets makes some great little cast and sized 78 grain lead bullets that shoot just fine in the Ruger .327 Fed Mag.

Montana Bullet Works makes an 85 grain lead bullet that you can buy powder-coated or sized and lubed uncoated.

Other than that, nothing else need be bought if you kept your empties. I buy new Starlines in 100-round bags from Midsouth Shooters Supply if I need them. Their prices are good. You can buy direct from Starline brass if you need 200 to 500 cases of either round.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Enjoy your Ruger single action. I think you'll find Rugers are a good value. They are meant to be used.

I am in the process of discovering the beauty of the .32 caliber. A single 7 may need to come home with me sometime.
I got so hooked on the little .32s that I have bought three old break-tops on Gun Broker. Two of them are 'shooters' and I load .32 S&W for them at the lowest level of pressure and velocity for safety's sake. I don't want to shake them apart. They're a challenge to shoot accurately, but they were made for shooting across a card table and accuracy isn't a problem at that range! :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, here are some pics of the polished Seven w/holster and my handloads of 32 long, 32 h&r and 327 fed.
Beautiful! I like the look of real wood much more than the micarta grips on my Birds Head. I'm looking to have some checkered wood grips made to replace the micarta ones.

And that's a superbly even job of polishing you did. Did you use Jeweler's Rouge on a buffing wheel?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Beautiful! I like the look of real wood much more than the micarta grips on my Birds Head. I'm looking to have some checkered wood grips made to replace the micarta ones.

And that's a superbly even job of polishing you did. Did you use Jeweler's Rouge on a buffing wheel?
Check out Sack Peterson Custom Grips to see some beautiful stag Birdshead Grips!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Buffing soft cotton wheels from Harbor Freight on a cordless drill and Mother's Mag Polish. Took it all apart so I can hit it all with automotive brake non-chlorinated cleaner and a compressor air hose to wash out the polish and lube it back up.
Darn revolver blinded me when I took pics in the sunlight.
Here are the copper jacket rounds I also load. Costs a bit more per 50, but only around an extra $2 a box.
I use the same Lee dies for 32 H&R and 327 Fed. I have a dedicated set for the Longs. So inexpensive these dies are, so an extra set cost is minimal compared to factory ammo. Pays for itself in no time.
Something I learned right off the bat was the Lee shell holder for 32 works on several 32 cases (handgun, rifle) and found the 32 rims slip off the holder and gets jammed in the sizing die because it is a bit wider where it index's the rim. I now use an RCBS holder made just for 32 revolver cases and is great. All shell holders have an universal locking base and can be used on any press.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
And for my loads: I was trying out Unique, but was getting variations in the powder throws, since the flakes are on the large side and getting different grain throws in the small amounts needed for the 32 in all configurations (32 long, 32 h&r, 327 fed).
I went with HP38 (WIN 231 same stuff) with a finer ball shape and every throw is the same. Very clean burning, not like Bullseye which is dirty.
Just some info for you reloaders.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
And for my loads: I was trying out Unique, but was getting variations in the powder throws, since the flakes are on the large side and getting different grain throws in the small amounts needed for the 32 in all configurations (32 long, 32 h&r, 327 fed).
I went with HP38 (WIN 231 same stuff) with a finer ball shape and every throw is the same. Very clean burning, not like Bullseye which is dirty.
Just some info for you reloaders.
I found the same problem with Bullseye. I use either HP-38 or CFE Pistol, which gives some amazing velocities with acceptable pressures. H-110 is an ubiquitous powder for most of the .32 Maggies. I've got a lot of that powder. I love the way it meters.

I've also got a set of Lee dies dedicated to .32 S&W and .32 S&W Longs, then a set for .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal Magnum. At $ 30.00 a set of dies it's worth it to have the two when setting up for one of the .32s.

I haven't had a problem with the shell holder but I'll try the RCBS one you mentioned. Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice, dude!

Never shot one, but came across one guy that did. He swore by the .327 He considered it the perfect woods gun--Light enough round to carry enough ammo, and enough punch to put down anything south of the Mason-Dixon. Apparently, the gun's frame doesn't weigh a person down as much as a .357...
I understand it is expensive to shoot if you don't reload.

I took on a Marlin .357 and later bought a Ruger Sec Six to match logistics. I'm okay, but lord that ammo is HEAVY! I've always wondered about the .327...

That's a sweet pistol, bro! You should be happy. Is there a long gun caliber that it can marry up with, I wonder?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Single Seven was going to be my next revolver. In waiting had deal on SR-1911 10mm. Already have a Ruger SP-101 327 and a Single Six 32 h&R so got the 10mm(don't have that caliber) Really didn't need it but stupid is as stupid does. Now have to talk myself out of the Single Seven or maybe be stupid again. Now get into reloading and can you shoot lots more. Nice revolver and caliber.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a 327 in a LCR as it is a six shooter. But my Single action 327 is a bigger eight shot Blackhawk, tames those 100 grain American Eagles (Pretty hot factory round)

Would love a Single Seven.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I have a 327 in a LCR as it is a six shooter. But my Single action 327 is a bigger eight shot Blackhawk, tames those 100 grain American Eagles (Pretty hot factory round)

Would love a Single Seven.
those 100 grain in my Single Seven are pretty snappy ...

21 - 40 of 52 Posts