Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Ruger at Wards in Napa kalifornia in 1980.It is a 10-22 carbine.It cost $79.00 plus tax.They could not find the magazine for it,so they knocked $10.00 off the $79.00--Picked up a replacement magazine for $6.00 plus tax.I still have it,but it is semi retired.My second Ruger was bought at Wards in Walnut Creek Kalifornia.It was a toss up between Smith & Wesson model 41 target pistol,or a SS NM 357 Blackhawk with a six-1/2 inch barrel.Got the Ruger and had to wait 2 weeks to pick it up.It cost $237.00 plus tax.I also still own that one,with less than a box of shells thru it.Third one was bought in 1982 in Vancouver Washington at a pawnshop for $125.00 plus tax.Still has orig box and paperwork.It was made in 1971 and has the A54 gripframe.I bought this one because we had been at a garage sale at a cemetary in Portland Oregon across the river from us.The guy having the sale had a Ruger magazine for a A100 framed 22 auto for $1.00---I bought it and then went looking for a gun to use it in.I had been wanting to buy a early 22 auto pistol because I had read Ruger had quit making them.I also still own it.And then got a 5-1/2 bull barrel 22 auto at the flea market.It was made in 1977 and cost me a whole $75.00--Next one my mother inlaw bought me at a estate sale.A 1976 Bi-Centennial 6-7/8 MARK 1 target pistol w-box and paperwork for $125.00--
PLVMBTOOLMAN

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My first Ruger was a standard, blued, MK2 I bought from my dad for $75.00! It had no telling how many thousands of rounds put through it, all the bluing was gone from the front of the gripframe. I re-blued, shot many thousands of rounds through it myself, and ended up selling it back to my day for what I gave him for it about 5 years later. Then, one of his "friends" stole it out of his house.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My first Ruger was a SA Blackhawk in .357 Magnum. That was back in 74 when I lived in that kalifornia place, when I was a stationed at Beale AFB. Sending them B-52's off for the mission you know in S.E.A.

Wish I still had my first one.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
quote:Originally posted by PLVMBTOOLMAN

I bought my first Ruger at Wards in Napa kalifornia in 1980.It is a 10-22 carbine.It cost $79.00 plus tax.They could not find the magazine for it,so they knocked $10.00 off the $79.00--Picked up a replacement magazine for $6.00 plus tax.I still have it,but it is semi retired.My second Ruger was bought at Wards in Walnut Creek Kalifornia.It was a toss up between Smith & Wesson model 41 target pistol,or a SS NM 357 Blackhawk with a six-1/2 inch barrel.Got the Ruger and had to wait 2 weeks to pick it up.It cost $237.00 plus tax.I also still own that one,with less than a box of shells thru it.Third one was bought in 1982 in Vancouver Washington at a pawnshop for $125.00 plus tax.Still has orig box and paperwork.It was made in 1971 and has the A54 gripframe.I bought this one because we had been at a garage sale at a cemetary in Portland Oregon across the river from us.The guy having the sale had a Ruger magazine for a A100 framed 22 auto for $1.00---I bought it and then went looking for a gun to use it in.I had been wanting to buy a early 22 auto pistol because I had read Ruger had quit making them.I also still own it.And then got a 5-1/2 bull barrel 22 auto at the flea market.It was made in 1977 and cost me a whole $75.00--Next one my mother inlaw bought me at a estate sale.A 1976 Bi-Centennial 6-7/8 MARK 1 target pistol w-box and paperwork for $125.00--
PLVMBTOOLMAN
Wouldn't it be nice if you could still buy Rugers for that price?

·
Registered
10 Posts
New model Blackhawk. Stainless, 4 5/8 barrel, 357 magnum. Accurate, accurate, accurate. I still miss that gun. One of the ones I let get away. Traded for a wondernine in the early 90's. At the time, the Ruger was the only gun I owned. I needed something a little "faster" for protecting the house. Nowadays, I wouldn't think twice about using a Blackhawk for home defense but I was young and a little slow with a single action then.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My dad gave his Mark I, he bought while he was in the service. It's been a great a little gun. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first Ruger was a New Model Super Single Six bought for me by my Dad in 1978. I was about 14 at the time and pestered him to no end :D to make the purchase for me. I still have it in very good condition with box and paperwork despite having toted it a million miles. It will not be leaving until I do.:)

That gun started a chain of many more Rugers that had another link just added with a mint BKH34B. Many more to come I hope.

heatingman

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My first Ruger was a Super Black Hawk in 44 Mag, 71/2 barrel. I have since collected many of them. And have plans for more as soon as I get the money.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
My first Ruger was also my first handgun a Security Six with a 6" BBL in 1979. It was the nightstand gun for many years and I traded it in on a GP100 in 2004. The SS was very accruate, rugged and a pleasure to shoot once the Hogue's were put on. I hated to trade it away but wanted the GP and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My first one was a 4 5/8" Single-Six-I think it was nickel-anyone remember one? I got it at my first job in a pistol-sellin' hardware store...kept it about a year and sold it...dumb move...second was a 10/22....

·
Registered
515 Posts
My first mk1 was in the late 50's. Didn't keep it. Next was a mk1 bull barrel. Cost me new 67 dollars also a 10-22 cost me 57 dollars new. Still have both of them. Thought that was a lot of money then. Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first Ruger was also my first handgun, a P89DC in stainless. Traded it on something later on, didn't like the trigger. Now I probably wouldn't care but like it goes, older and wiser. Had a P95DC stainless later on, traded it for the same reason. I still have a soft spot for P-series guns and will probably get myself another one at some point.

Steelheart

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 1st a NM black hawk .357/9mm convert about '74. Since then? several 10/22s some for me and others for my sons and brother. A SS 2 3/4" security 6, 2 SS speed 6 2 3/4". 2 super black hawks in .44mag. Both with the 11+" barrel one blue and one SS. A P85 9mm. # weeks ago I bought a MKIII fluted barrel .22 hunter. I carry the speed 6 daily and the p 85 Rides in a shoulder rig any time I ride my 4WD ATV. I still have 3 10/22s and the one SS .44. Traded the other blue steel one for a 14' fishing boat. I own Colt, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Sig, and etc... I shoot Ruger!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My first Ruger - or should I say Rugers - was a blue Single Six, and a blue Black Hawk. Ended up selling the BH, and someone stole the SS. Now, I plan to get another Single Six. Then, I got a SP101, then a 10/22, then a MK III 22/45, and lastly, (but probably not last), a GP100. My favorite Ruger is...all of them.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

quote:Originally posted by PLVMBTOOLMAN

PLVMBTOOLMAN
Wouldn't it be nice if you could still buy Rugers for that price?
Oh Yes Indeed!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts