Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I kinda like Zombie stuff. After someone posted their 'Zombie Defense' build, I looked that supplier up, never could get ahold of them so set about finding a roll mark I like. I've never really cared for the Spikes Zombie roll mark (although I might eventually get one), I found this Zombie/BioHazard lower produced my Tactical Machining. I must say, the quality of the lower, the finish, and the engraving are all excellent! I plan to update with photo's as the build goes, not all parts are set in stone but so far I've picked the following:

TM Zombie Lower
Voodoo 14.5" Manimal with pinned/welded flash hider
MI Gen2 SS FF 12" hand guard
RRA NM 2 stage Varmint trigger
Magpul Enhanced trigger guard
PSA Buffer tube kit

As for the upper, I'm not sure yet. I ordered a USGI M4 upper from Damage Industries, and whenever they decide to ship, and I receive, I'll decide if I want to use it, depends on the finish, needs to match the TM lower. If it doesn't match, I might try a TM upper whenever they get the one I thought about back in stock.

I've installed the trigger guard and started the color fill on the lower. Mixed up a couple colors I wanted to use for the roll mark and pictograms using axalta refinishing products

Here's the finished product. Pretty easy, used lacquer thinner to clean up paint, using a lint free paper towel. Used toothpick to do the color fill. For second color, I used a fresh toothpick in the biohazard and pushed back towards zombie, kinda scrapping the green over flow out of biohazard and making a dam so the second color didn't flow in to the first color. Also used plastic razor blades after second color set a bit to scrape excess off before final wipe with lacquer thinner. Much easier than I imagined it would be.

Mixed up a little reddish orange for the 'red' to make it stand out a little better than basic red on the black.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assembled my lower, put a pinned/welded 14.5 upper on it to try it out while I wait for the rest of my upper parts to come in.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm waiting on a USGI M4 upper from damage industries. Then just have to make sure the PSA M16 BCG will go/nogo in the barrel (waiting on the go gauge, it was out of stock...).

I want to check the head space before the barrel is mounted in the upper, from the videos I've watched, doing it this way, no need to remove the ejection from the bolt.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Oh! I gotcha now. You put an assembled upper on the lower. I misread. Cool! Sounds like you have a great build coming together.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looking good! I like my 14.5" but I dabble in the shorter ones for pistols and the normal 16" too. But I think everyone should have a 14.5" AR15!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This isn't the actual upper receiver I'll be finishing the build with, but I pseudo assembled if so I could see how I like the hand guard (turns out I REALLY like the hand guard). This is an Anderson upper for one of my Anderson lowers (I tend to buy two at a time and swap to find best fit).

Anyway, this is basically what the finished gun will look like.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the rifle assembled, for the most part. Have some Magpul MBUS on the way, and just have to decide on what optic to install. Will also probably get a Hogue Butt stock.

Found a cheap seekins zombie green mag release button, not as zombie green as I'd like(not quite as bright as their stock photos), but ok. Trying out the NcStar Zombie Stryke LED light. Wanted a light, something simply and bright that wasn't a couple bills, much less a single bill. It came with a pressure switch, but that's not my thing, so using the push button end cap. For ten bucks, hard to go wrong, it's small and simple.

Voodoo 14.5" light contour mid length gas with pinned/welded Manimal flash hider. USGI M4 upper, QD mount end plate from damage industries. Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS 12" FF rail, love this rail! Smooth and small diameter.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Awesome! I really like MI's rails. I just installed their rail/handguard on an AK. I have their slim rails on ARs too.

Really well done!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are iron sights on my original M&P15-22, have never used them. Sighted them in tonight with this rifle, just to give it a test run with 20 rounds. Ran well, sighted in in about 5 shots at 25 meters, that's about max distance for me and my eyes without a scope.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, I did have the flashlight on the whole time firing the twenty rounds. Wanted to see if it'd still work while firing, worked fine. Just did a walk about outside in the dark, I'm really impressed with this ten dollar light. I got on Amazon and ordered 4 (but it limited me to 3...) lights. They'd came down to 8.65!

It would like up and be plenty effective about 50 yards away. Went in my 30x40 garage and pointing it at the far wall (~40' away) it lit up the entire wall. Works on one cr123 battery.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want a slim 15" hand guard for the dissipater look. How does that one feel?
I love it! My next build will use the same handguard in a 15" length

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I don't know what to say.....................no comment I guess!

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I just may have to join the zombie hunt. Saw a Spikes lower and just love the roll marks it has. Safe is marked alive, semi is dead and full auto is undead. Guess I'll have to order one in.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably end up getting a Spike's zombie lower as well some day. I thought perhaps my next lower would be the Spike's punisher

1 - 19 of 19 Posts