Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Generation vs. Your Generation

A very self-important university freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

"You grew up in a different world. Actually, an almost primitive one," the student said loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon and our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light speed processing and...," pausing to take another drink of beer.

The senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young. We invented them! Now, tell me, what are you doing for the next generation"?

The applause was resounding. :D:D:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nobody said the young whippersnapper was stupid...just liberal-minded....and, like most liberals...the youngun had no answer to the old man's question...I heard this joke 6 months ago, and he STILL ain't put together an answer:D...maybe he's busy appointing a committee...see you in the Minefield[}:)]

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
quote:and, like most liberals...the youngun had no answer to the old man's question...
HEHEH...Oh, we got lots of answers, it just seems them old people just get to plum set in their ways to listen to anybody but themselves.[}:)]

Of course nobody around these parts would ever be guilty of that!;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, I are!!!! Sot in my ways...but I took over half a century to get that way...that's a little more life experience than some of the younguns have...and experience helps...now, when I see a young man who's thinking for himself and trying to find out the best way to look at or deal with or think about something, instead of coming up with cute catchy phrases and empty slogans that are mod and the fad of the day...I'm open to listen and learn...the whole point is instead of the kid being a know-it-all smartmouth, he should have thought it out and realized the oldman's generation came up with those things, and been curious as to how they came up with them...and might have even had some thoughts/ideas to develop and invent the goodies for his own generation....instead of spewing idiocy like a fart in a mud puddle...youth should show respect for those of age, and then the aged can respect the youth and the exchange of ideas benefits both....it begins with respect....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sheepdog,
I can tell you this...

I always try to listen to someone with more life experience than me. If someone older says "son, your gonna hurt yourself." I listen, cause everytime I haven't, guess what, I hurt myself.:D

I don't always agree, but I ALWAYS listen!:)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The first 35 years, I din't listen to nobody...I'm still sufferin' some of the penalties....carryin' the scars...then I started listening and found out the grey-haired ones not only knew, they knew the way to make it work best, often easiest, and I started searching out the grey-hairs...usually found puttering around the back of the store, staying out of the rush....learned a lot once they found out I'd listen and really wanted to know...they taught me...two old phrases come to mind: "A new broom sweeps clean, but the old broom knows where the dirt is" and "If you have to force it, you're doing it wrong"

Since nobody asked: sheepdog likes this one a lot "Till they know how much you care, nobody cares how much you know..."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts