Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching muzzle breaks the last few days and I'm as confused as an old guy can get.

My SR762 will be here today and goes from the LGS to the gunsmith because, here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts a flash-hider is considered terribly deadly when combined with a collapsible stock!

So, off with the flash-hider and on with the break then pin the stock and I'm legal.

There at least 10,000 breaks out there and I have to make a decision pretty darned soon.

I know this is a Ford Chevy kind of question but, . . . .

·
Banned
650 Posts
Not like there is a flash to hide from a 7.62x39. I wonder if those dumb paper creators would know the difference in a flash suppressor and a debris shield. I have a flash suppressor for my 10/22. It doesn't do a thing but screw up the barrel harmonics. But I put it on my 10/22 when I am teaching a child to shoot. With the flash suppressor installed on the 10/22 if the barrel is shoved in the dirt I will see the dirt in the suppressor.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I use the PWS PRC on my .308's. It essentially eliminates muzzle rise. This was verified by having someone shoot video of firings. Any rise was not discernible.

I have also used the PWS FSC's.

These are not as expensive as some brakes, but they are extremely effective in eliminating muzzle rise.

Congrats on the SR762. A fine rifle. My last range trip, the first two shots at 100 yards (scope of course, with these bad eyes) were inside the same hole.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Most muzzle brakes are LOUD (at least for the shooter next to you). I like the linear (Levang) style brakes. They don't really reduce recoil but they are "quieter" and direct the blast more forward. I got mine so as to not deafen companions who are not wearing ear muffs when out calling coyotes. At the range a lot of brakes are annoyingly loud.

·
Banned
650 Posts
The flame is really visible on camera but the shooter would not notice the orange colored muzzle blast. The muzzle blast has to be white like a flash bulb to bother the shooter. I don't even notice the muzzle flash of a 357 mag or 44 mag. I notice the blast from a LCP but it does not make me see spots. Modern powders do not make a blinding muzzle blast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts