Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my Part One post on this gun, you might be thinking I'm nuts to keep a gun that is so painful to shoot. Read on.

Now that I had the gun, back, first order of business was to address the grip issue. Basically I needed to find a grip that allowed me to better control the gun's recoil.

My first attempt was a bust. Ordered what was listed the correct Hogue, but after getting it, there was no way it would fit. Rather than send the grip, back, decided to keep it and use it on another gun, some day. Wasn't too crazy about going with a rubber grip on a Single Action, anyway. Yuck.

I finally found the answer with an Altamont over-sized grip with finger grooves and when Altamont says oversized they mean it. Here it is with the factory grip for comparison.

That took care of the hammer bite issue, but with so many sharp edges on this grip, it was not pleasant to shoot. I can see where that would be irrelevant for use on a Single Six, but you do pay for any sharp edge when shooting a 44 mag.

Spent several evening, then, with sandpaper, reshaping the grip and removing all sharp edges. Even deepened some of the finger grooves. When finally done, I had a truly custom grip. This gun is now every bit as comfy to shoot as my Bisley versions.

One other irritation with this gun was the short extractor rod. Too short to completely shuck empties, so I replaced it with a Ruger Sheriff base pin and then shortened the recoil spring, slightly. The gun now shucks empties as easily as a longer SBH. Easy fix.

So what was that little voice telling me about this gun? Why should I keep it?

The short answer is that this is one of the most accurate 44 mags I've ever owned and I've owned all kinds of 44 mags and not just Rugers. With this grip and the way the gun balances, the excellent trigger ... I don't know that I've ever had such an easy to shoot 44 mag.

Standing, no rest.

At 50 yards, again, standing position.

And my best 50 shot group of the year, compliments of a gun I almost traded, away. Thank-you, little voice in my head. And thanks, all, for taking time to read about my journey with this gun. Shot, today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
All great ideas to make the gun work for you, and excellent shooting as well!!!

I to have the same model except I converted it to a Bisley and I find mine to be extremly accurate also...

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
When that model SBH first came out, it was called the gunfighter model. Great solutions to make a good gun work for you. And good shooting!

I also took issue with the short ejection for those long cases. My solution was the 10" SBH's 5" ejector on my old Vaquero 5 1/2":

·
Registered
799 Posts
My own adventure with the 5.5 SBH started out with the trigger guard rapping my knuckle on my middle finger. I started wearing a glove and that took all the bite out. Then without any reason I stopped hitting my knuckle and quit wearing the glove.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My own adventure with the 5.5 SBH started out with the trigger guard rapping my knuckle on my middle finger. I started wearing a glove and that took all the bite out. Then without any reason I stopped hitting my knuckle and quit wearing the glove.
Minor adjustments in technique as a result of experience can have this effect.

:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
I went with a pachmeyer grip to solve the problem. Easy and works well but I do like the look of wood on a single action better than black rubber.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might have gone and stayed with the Pachmayr, but it didn't fit or I was just too dumb to make it fit. Worked out for the better, though, because I'm one that also much prefers wood grips on any SA revolver. I use rubber grips on our DA revolvers, but have to think the Duke would be rolling in his grave at the thought of rubber grips on his Colts. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts