Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 22/45 Lite will probably go down in history as one of the best Ruger guns of its time and one of the worst Ruger guns of its time.
Pre-warned about the somewhat 'interesting' field stripping procedures, the 'finicky' nature of 'certain ammo,' and the possible FTF and FTE problems perhaps related to 'certain ammo,' I bought one anyway because the look appealed to me.
Let me state up front that I am NOT new to shooting sports but the base of my experience has been in the shotgun area (years of trap & skeet). The handgun 'bug' is a recent (couple of years) interest. My first involvement with handguns started with the 1911 .45ACP and other semi-auto models. I also caught the reload 'bug' with the .45 and greatly enjoy it as a hobby.
I have patiently lived through the 'break-in' period with the 22/45 and have upgraded a few parts on the road to achieving comfortable satisfaction with my 22/45 as well. I have put almost two thousand rounds (various brands of ammo) through the gun and my current conclusions are as follows:
The field stipping/cleaning process has improved but the 22/45 is NOT the most friendly pistol in this regard out there. I have yet to find the favored brand of ammo and, the FTFs and FTEs continue albeit randomly. It seems that when I'm on to a possible solution, they turn out to be dead ends revealing nothing more than 'try, try, again, with the solution I thought I had evaporating or leading to another problem. I know total perfection is not likely but a better performer is yet to be achieved.
End of the line for me is nearing with this fine and frustrating firearm. Oh, I guess sending it back to Ruger may be my last resort. Or, I may sell the thing and go back to happy with some of my other handguns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel your pain! I have the same 22/45 lite, I have had more ftf with this pistol in the first six mags than I've had in 29 years with a MarkII. I tried different mags, different ammo, got rid of the LCI, modified mags no real cure. Just about the time I think I found an answer it starts all over again. At this point I can't send it back to Ruger, I've changed a lot of parts and can't expect them to warranty it now. The parts changes made it better just never cured it. When it shoots it's great, very accurate (1.75 pound trigger helps) Fiber optic sights, got rid of the mag disconnect. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I'm keeping mine because I couldn't pass the headache on to someone else.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Might I recommend the Browning Buckmark!?!? I moved on from the MKII 25ys. ago and haven't
looked back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see so many people talk about their problems with the 22/45 and I feel sad that Ruger made such an "iffy" gun. I have a Standard model from 1968 that has NEVER failed EVER! Eats all kinds of ammo without any problems. I can not remember ever having any issues with this gun.
Taking it down for cleaning was only difficult the first time, then, like riding a bike, once you know how to re-assemble you never forget.
I feel that the plastic frames of the newer guns is the problem. I do not think it holds the internal parts in alignment as it should. I also thought that the grip angle of the 22/45 changed the magazine angle, giving an additional area that could cause feeding problems, but I was told that the mag angle is the same as the Standard, MK1 and MK2's, so I guess I'm wrong on that one, but I have no first hand proof that the feeding angle is the same.
I understand that the Standard, MK 1 and MK 2's don't appeal to everyone, but the older ones are still available for pretty good prices still, so many of you may want to think about looking for one of these older models while they are still around. They never wear out, and really the re-assembly is not that hard. I feel that many of you would be better served by an older Ruger than the new models. Just look around on the forum, you don't see anyone complaining about the original MKs, just about the 22/45. SR22 and the new junked-up MK3's with all the LCI, and mag releases and all. Something to think about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel very lucky, my 22/45 standard eats any ammo I feed it now my SR22 is very picky. I will say my SR22 is getting better since I polished the feed ramp and stopped cleaning it except for the bore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts