Ruger Forum banner

My latest Flintlock

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  gunman42782 
#1 ·
Built this half stock from a lot of parts I have been collecting over the years. Mostly leftover parts from other gun builds. It's a 45cal 33inch barrel, L&R Lock, iron furniture and a curly maple half stock. I have a matching percussion lock and drum to convert from flint if I want too, but caps are scarce right now so I'm shooting flint guns mostly. I'm beginning to like flint more and more when I shoot traditional guns.
Fence Tree Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Grass

See less See more
#11 ·
I too built a TC Hawken from a kit in 1980 that started me into black powder guns. It was a great gun that I loved to shoot but I sold it to buy parts to build a Longrifle. The gun above uses a barrel I got from a CVA Kentucky Kit that I found years ago at a sidewalk sale for $30. It was a great deal just to get the barrel and sights. The lock and trigger were missing in the kit and the store sold it cheap.

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments Folks. I have been able to find Swiss and Schuetzen Black Powder for Flintlocks at one gun store as well as 777 and Pyrodex at several places for percussion. I hear some Walmart stores are getting caps but have yet to see any in my stores. I have some tins left but shoot them sparingly until they start showing up again here.

#12 ·
Just saw this thread.... Very nice Flintlock. Always meant to get one for the experience ... but never have. Only BP shooting I do is with the revolvers from the Walker to the ROA. Never went further back in time ...

Reactions: krag96 and VMC
#15 ·
Oh how I regret not getting a flint lock..to go with my TC Renegade 54...and my TC Cherokee 32...have had my TC since the 70s...swapped out the barrel 1/48...for a Green Mountain 1/66....could shoot three rounds into a 3/4 group.....it is just a crying shame that TC stopped making the Renegades... Hawkins...Cherokees....would much rather have than a plastic stocked/bolt action/high powered scope/shotgun capped/sabot firing.....excuse for muzzle loading rifle....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.