Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to, "Toot my own horn" but I was pretty happy with the outcome of my latest work project.
MVI 2913 - YouTube
I had to research, price and order all the emergency equipment for our new patrol vehicle. Because it is a government operation, someone dropped the ball (not gonna' say who) they forgot to submit a budget request and there was no money for installing the emergency equipment on it.

Long story, short; I took it upon myself to take, "Ownership" of the problem. I installed all equipment (minus the decals) on my own time and paid for all the components/wiring out of pocket.

I could go on, but I'll just say that I am proud of how it turned out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
She's a beauty SSGT! Unfortunate about the budget but, it is a great feeling seeing your hard work come to fruition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't mean to, "Toot my own horn" but I was pretty happy with the outcome of my latest work project.
MVI 2913 - YouTube
I had to research, price and order all the emergency equipment for our new patrol vehicle. Because it is a government operation, someone dropped the ball (not gonna' say who) they forgot to submit a budget request and there was no money for installing the emergency equipment on it.

Long story, short; I took it upon myself to take, "Ownership" of the problem. I installed all equipment (minus the decals) on my own time and paid for all the components/wiring out of pocket.

Sounds like ya'll need contract manager, I'm available.......:D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I've seen that in my rear vision mirror a few times..... ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
698 Posts
Looking good. A upgrade to the push bar might help with lights on on the outsides (right+left) of the push bumper will give you better intersection warning especially blind intersections and at intersections blocked by stopped high profile vehicles. But great job choice on lighting.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looking good. A upgrade to the push bar might help with lights on on the outsides (right+left) of the push bumper will give you better intersection warning especially blind intersections and at intersections blocked by stopped high profile vehicles. But great job choice on lighting.
That option was available....for a price though. Didn't have the 120 dollars in the budget. But after I took the video, I scavenged the LED's (that wrap around the third brake light on our old Crown Vic) and made housings and placed them in the side/rear window for "Lateral warning devices". (Gotta love having the GM key for the machine shop).

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Banned
698 Posts
That option was available....for a price though. Didn't have the 120 dollars in the budget. But after I took the video, I scavenged the LED's (that wrap around the third brake light on our old Crown Vic) and made housings and placed them in the side/rear window for "Lateral warning devices". (Gotta love having the GM key for the machine shop).
LOL. Still had to cost. Strobes still kinda high priced. Led flashes are a little cheaper. But you took it on. Its hard to put different systems together. You could end up with 15 switches to flick between primary, secondary and off. Good job. especially on a out of pocket deal.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Nice Job! I have wired many emergency response vehicles over the last 26 years on the job, and still do the decals from time to time just because I enjoy it. It is a real good feeling when you finish and nothing smokes when you turn it on! again real nice job!!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice job and it's great to see your pride in your department. I hope they appreciate your willingness to step in and get the installation complete. Well done.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice Job! I have wired many emergency response vehicles over the last 26 years on the job, and still do the decals from time to time just because I enjoy it. It is a real good feeling when you finish and nothing smokes when you turn it on! again real nice job!!
I know what you mean. During the moment of truth when I inserted the mega-fuses to power up the system I was hoping things didn't start popping and smoking. I was pretty certain I had every connected correctly, but there is always the chance I was distracted on some of the connections. No burnt wires or blown fuses. The most worrisome moment was drilling the hole in the roof for the lightbar harness (have to get it right the first time plus the advent of the side-curtain air bags concerned me).

If I knew I was going to be tasked with the project I would have insisted in being involved in the vehicle ordering process. The vehicle came from GSA and there are items (boxes) to check off on. None of that was done. All the wiring harnesses should have been included but they were not. Plus, the "Power-point" set-up was in the rear of the rig but our application required all the power to be in the front (under the dash). I had to splice into the harness to re-route the power to where I needed it.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
MVI 2913 - YouTube

Great job! But I hope I never see you in my rear view mirror. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts