Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a nice M44 Sporter I acquired about a month and a half ago, the SN places it as a child of 1971. It was suffering a little from neglect, but that was remedied by a complete tear down and cleaning inside and out.

It came with an older Aimpoint, which I removed since my eyes do better with a bit of magnification these days. Just last week I was able to get my hands on a nice Redfield 2x7 lo-profile widefield scope. I mounted it to the Weaver bases using Weaver quick detach rings. It makes for a nice rifle/scope combination with a dotted line back to the the time period. To polish it off, I added a new sling.

I'm pretty excited about this carbine and believe - as many do - that this will be a very fine little gun to carry in the woods later this fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very nice. I have always wanted one as I like the .44 Mag in a rifle. Alas, I am making do with my Marlin 1895. Yeah I know, 1st world problem.

How well does it shoot?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whitesheep - I haven't got that far yet. Probably tonight I will be loading up some ammo. I've got a couple hundred 250gr Sierra FPJ pills to be loaded over some W296. I'm thinking it should cycle the action quite nicely.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Please post your results as while understand these are not known for accuracy, since your a hand loader you possibly can find a sweet spot.

Good luck, I know you're going to have fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can bet your brass that little sweetheart will be an excellent firearm to carry around the woods. I am the proud owner of 2 of these magnificent weapons, having just acquired number two a month ago. That is what has led me to this forum. Being so excited at my luck, I failed to realize that the safety is for a left handed shooter, but the gun is a right handed bolt of course. I'm trying to find any info about a left handed safety. The serial no. puts her birth year in 1978. If anyone has any insight they could share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and happy hunting

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Fine looking carbine! Maybe it'S just me, but the finger groove Sporter stoked model always felt better in my hands than the standard stock model. It is a great woods gun.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Those .44 carbines are great in the woods. My brother had one when he lived in Texas and I got to shoot a couple whitetail with it. The sporter stock looks cool, I wasn't aware of that variation. Did Ruger ever make a .44 mag carbine with the full length International stock ?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For anyone interested, I finally had time to take it out and spend some time shooting.

The load I used came straight from my old Sierra books and was/is based on the preferred hunting load. I placed a 250gr Sierra full profile jacket (FPJ) bullet over 23.5 grains of W296 ball powder. The rifle loved the load and I'm very happy with the results. I sighted in at 75 yards and was consistently hitting a 3" bullseye.

I chose the 250gr FPJ due to the M44's reputation for the gas port fouling from lead build up. I don't know if it was really necessary, but exceeding the recommended 240g minimum for proper cycling of the action was part of my decision as well.

The thing purred like a kitten and was an absolute treat to shoot. Felt recoil didn't come close to that of my M77 .30-06 bolt. I'm not sure where or how stories of heavy, nasty recoil came to pass, but I found it to be a real pleasure when squeezing the trigger..........

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice! Have to agree 100% on the recoil - these things are quite pleasant. I had a 77/44 and it was far more punishing than the 44 Carbine.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Good lookin' firearm! Ohio can now use straight walled cartridges....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts