Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few pics of my Mini-30 & Saiga .223 :D The Mini I've had for almost 4 years now while I've had the Saiga for about two months. [:p]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The saiga just plain looks business like. How do the two compare as far as accuracy/function?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both have been reliable with their factory magazines. I've had some feed issues with the Ruger but I suppose in all fairness it was because the aftermarket mags I've been using and not the fault of the Ruger itself. I have had a FTF recently with it as well but that also wasn't the fault of the Ruger but a dud Wolf round.

Accuracy has been good with both too with open sights. I never have had a scope on either but may get one for the Mini. I think it'd be good deer medicine with the right loads. The Saiga should fit the bill also for a good SHTF rifle. I just have to get some hicaps for it. The price is definitely right though on the Saigas and they're built like tanks. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
9mm,.. interesting Gun... seems to be plenty of FirePower... and a Tank Gun to... That's Good Stuff...<:))

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you SgtKnuckles. I definitely hope to ratchet the level of firepower up soon with some hicaps. I just wish they weren't so costly for the Saiga.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Taurus... nice pics.

I am considering getting a Saiga 223 just like the one pictured. A couple of questions:

Do you think the reach to trigger is too long?
How simple is the breakdown for cleaning?
Are you considering a conversion of the stock?
And finally... Is it a boat load of fun to shoot? :D

Thanks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a question about the Saiga. A friend got one last year. I went out to the range with him when he first shot it. It was accurate and reliable, but we noticed almost every round coming out had a dent in the case. He was shooting some factory ammo, I don't remember what brand. Does yours do this? We thought the extracor might be stiff and needed some breaking in.
He's out of touch lately, so I don't know if his gun got any better, but it's always made me wonder about the quality of Saigas.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I currently own a stock Saiga 7.62X39 and used to own a .223 Mini-14; both are fine rifles. The trigger reach is fine on my saiga. Since the Saiga is a member of the AK family, it breaks down in a jiffy for cleaning. I actually like the Monte Carlo stock, even if it does not look "tacticool." The hi-cap mags are indeed costly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I currently own a stock Saiga 7.62X39 and used to own a .223 Mini-14; both are fine rifles. The trigger reach is fine on my saiga. Since the Saiga is a member of the AK family, it breaks down in a jiffy for cleaning. I actually like the Monte Carlo stock, even if it does not look "tacticool." The hi-cap mags are indeed costly.
I handled one the other day and it looked like the finish was wearing off on certain corners; this was a brand new rifle. The finish looks like paint, how is yours holding up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
International trade is awesome - now we can buy american guns chambered in russian calibers and russian guns that shoot NATO rounds. now if somebody would just relax clinton's import restrictions we'd have some serious freedom of choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts