Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I previously had a cheapo NcStar P-4 Sniper 1.25-4x32 scope and NcStar rail on my Mini14, but the scope wouldn't seem to hold zero. I got it sighted in one time and then after 50 rnds or so it would be shooting to the right. I tried re-adjusting to the left, but the group wouldn't move until suddenly I wasn't even on the paper - must have suddenly jumped. I liked the style of the scope and the illuminated reticle, but if it gives me fits, I don't really know if I care have it on the weapon.

So I decided to try another type and settled on a Nikon M-223 1-4x20 using the factory rings that came with the rifle. Got it sighted in and it seemed to group well (better than it did with the NcStar) - 2in group at 100yds using Ultramax remanufactured ammo. Only problem was - every few ejected cases nicked the windage knob on the way out, just barely, but enough to dent the neck and mark the turret. Thought about trying the extra high rings, but that would only raise it about 1/8", so I'm not sure it would work.

I decided to get the GGG rail (I had to drill off the NcStar), which seems to be a much better mount. Rather than conventional rings, I decided to go for the Burrris PEPR mount. A little higher than I might like, but I think it's about where the NcStar was when I started. We'll see how it shoots next time to the range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's about 1 inch higher than it was with the stock rings (Ruger includes the High rings), so it's a bit higher than I would really prefer. I wish there were more options with some of the AR style mounts, but seeing as they seem to be really intended for flat-tops. I kinda knew what I was getting into, because I have the same mount on my Gunsite, mounted forward with a Burris 2-7x pistol scope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out to the range today and put 50 rounds down range to sight in the scope on the new mount. Brass might bounce off the base/PEPR mount, but at least it doesn't hit the scope. 100yd grouping wasn't spectacular, only about 3 inches or so, but I may have been rushing a bit and it was kinda cool and windy (affects me more than the bullet).

Downside is that I can't get the bolt out to clean with the mount base. It's really kind of a dumb design the way the bolt has to be tipped, twisted and twirled to remove - even without a scope. Can't say that my M1A or Garand are easy, either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also have the GG&G rail on my Mini 14. I replaced the stock rear iron sight on my 581 Series Ranch Rifle with a Tech-SIGHTS MINI200 rear sight. The ocular Lens on my CenterPoint 2-7x32mm scope (2-7x32 mm CenterPoint Adventure Class Scope - Scopes - Optics) interfered with the new rear sight when I just used the Ruger rings directly on the receiver. I've not seen any evidence of ejected brass hitting the scope.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Your scope choice with the Nikon is nice but it does have rather large adjustment setup. Hence forth your extra high scope rings & mounts!!! My Mini 14 Ranch Rifle stainless wears a standard older Redfield Widefield 2-7x32 with the standard Ruger Scope rings that clamps onto my Mini 14's reciever. I guess to each his own but I much prefer the scope mounted lower down.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
kmgr, the Nikon is a great scope, but if I might interject some criticism, that is about the highest mounted scope on a Mini I've ever seen. I would rather live with the brass hitting the turret and be able to have a cheek weld, than crane my head up that high in order to see through the scope. Compare those pics to those of the Nikon 2.5-8x pistol scope on my Mini, and the same scope on my GSR, mounted with Warne medium Q.D. rings. Mounted out front, the scope will never get dinged by ejecting brass, will never interfere with the rear sight, and can be mounted as low as possible, so when you throw the rifle to your shoulder, you are looking right through the center of the optic.
The medium rings are a bit high on the GSR, if this scope stays on the GSR I'll go to low Warne rings.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Nikon & Ruger Rings

I've got your scope's big brother, and I was having the same problem. I was using #4 ruger scope rings, the turrets were dead center of the rings, and the casings ejecting scratched it up pretty bad. So I went out and got some #5 ruger scope rings to pick it up a little, and I moved the scope up as far as it could go, till the turrets cleared the ejection area. I've had zero problems with it sense, also I'll have to say my mini ejects casings like any other mini... slightly elevated, at a 90% angle from the rifle and about 30 feet out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to give this setup a few more times at the range before making any decision. I do tend to agree that a high mount would have an impact on consistency of hold that can affect accuracy. I may try conventional rings on the GGG rail to bring it down some or re-consider the acquisition of Ruger's extra high rings, although they are only 1/8 inch higher.

I have read other posts talking about moving the scope forward in the rings, but eye relief is an issue with this scope and I couldn't get comfortable and still have full view at 4x. Also, my gun seems somewhat random in both direction and distance of brass ejection - anywhere between 2 and 4 o'clock between 10 and 25 feet. Makes finding the brass real fun.

·
Registered
803 Posts
As others have mentioned your mount is very high. There is not any way to get a cheek weld with that setup and in turn will make repeatable accuracy a problem. On my mini I am still using the factory rings and that is to high to suit me but to get it down where I want it I would have to remove the rear sight. I am not sure I want to do that but I might at some point. The closer you mount a scope to the centerline of the bore the fewer scope sighting and accuracy problems you will have.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I have read other posts talking about moving the scope forward in the rings, but eye relief is an issue with this scope and I couldn't get comfortable and still have full view at 4x. Also, my gun seems somewhat random in both direction and distance of brass ejection - anywhere between 2 and 4 o'clock between 10 and 25 feet. Makes finding the brass real fun.
Oh I understand deeply about the eye relief, I was straining the hell out of my neck just to get a good sight picture. I guess i should have added that i did cut my wood stock on a saw and took off an inch of the butt stock, and with a slip on recoil pad it really made things much more comfortable for shooting. But I would never recommend cutting a rifle stock unless you know what you are doing. I have worked with wood a refinishing for almost 20 years now and it is real easy to screw up a cut.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts