Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ended up going with a Colt AR-15. Let's just call it an early holiday gift. :D

I have a question though. When I ease my bolt forward it will not completely close. I will have to tap the bolt closed. This happens every time I ease it closed. When I let the bolt slam home it will close completely though.

Please help! Is this normal?

EDIT: I am not using any ammunition. It will happen whether there is an empty magazine in or not.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You didn't say if you were doing that with a loaded magazine in or not. If with a full mag the correct way is to pull the charging handle back and let it go. Don't ease the bolt forward. The forward assist is really there if you had a sticky case.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't say if you were doing that with a loaded magazine in or not. If with a full mag the correct way is to pull the charging handle back and let it go. Don't ease the bolt forward. The forward assist is really there if you had a sticky case.
Sorry made the edit.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
As has been said - let the bolt fly!! Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! This is why I love this forum. I appreciate the help. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Colt

Your first AR and it's a Colt. I don't know what model, but you did excellent in choosing the Colt. It's one of the best factory made AR's on the market. She can be treated rough and won't break. Just like a shotgun, no baby moves. Load her and slam that bolt forward as other have stated.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I ended up going with a Colt AR-15. Let's just call it an early holiday gift. :D

I have a question though. When I ease my bolt forward it will not completely close. I will have to tap the bolt closed. This happens every time I ease it closed. When I let the bolt slam home it will close completely though.

Please help! Is this normal?

EDIT: I am not using any ammunition. It will happen whether there is an empty magazine in or not.
Sounds like a break-in issue. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're having jamming problems. As long as it slams closed with a round in the magazine, shouldn't be an issue.

Check out this for a cool, inexpensive mod.

BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle, GFH Mod 4

It was the first mod I made to my AR and well worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which Colt did you get? How much did you pay for it out in New England?
Colt LE6920 and I paid $1400.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a break-in issue. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're having jamming problems. As long as it slams closed with a round in the magazine, shouldn't be an issue.

Check out this for a cool, inexpensive mod.

BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle, GFH Mod 4

It was the first mod I made to my AR and well worth every penny.
Right now I'm focusing on changing the really bad pistol grip. That little bulge is really uncomfortable. lol I'm going with the Magpul MOE grip and Magpul trigger guard. Thanks for the tip though. I'll definitely look into that a little later. :)

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
The only mod I've made to my LE6920 was I added a small rail to the bottom of the stock handguard so I could add a VFG, etc. It keeps the classic look while still giving the advantage of the rail. Hang on to that rifle and don't much that you can't reverse. Our LE6920's w/ the LE only marks my command a premium one day. It works out well for me, since the only thing it really needs is some glass on top and a VFG, although I do want an AFG.

If you want a pic of the rail I added (cost like $12 and fits the stock handguard), I can grab a pic.

Like I said via PM, I thought my rifle did the exact same thing w/ the bolt, but after I went and checked I was wrong... which leads me to believe that jlh is correct and that it may be something that changes after it's broken in.

Get off the computer and go shoot that thing! The sound and feeling of that spring in the buffer tube gives the AR a personality all it's own.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Right now I'm focusing on changing the really bad pistol grip. That little bulge is really uncomfortable. lol I'm going with the Magpul MOE grip and Magpul trigger guard. Thanks for the tip though. I'll definitely look into that a little later. :)
Is the MOE grip the one with the rubber coating? If so great choice. I've got the rubber coated one on my black rifle and it is the most comfortable grip you can get.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the MOE grip the one with the rubber coating? If so great choice. I've got the rubber coated one on my black rifle and it is the most comfortable grip you can get.
That's the one! :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only mod I've made to my LE6920 was I added a small rail to the bottom of the stock handguard so I could add a VFG, etc. It keeps the classic look while still giving the advantage of the rail. Hang on to that rifle and don't much that you can't reverse. Our LE6920's w/ the LE only marks my command a premium one day. It works out well for me, since the only thing it really needs is some glass on top and a VFG, although I do want an AFG.

If you want a pic of the rail I added (cost like $12 and fits the stock handguard), I can grab a pic.

Like I said via PM, I thought my rifle did the exact same thing w/ the bolt, but after I went and checked I was wrong... which leads me to believe that jlh is correct and that it may be something that changes after it's broken in.

Get off the computer and go shoot that thing! The sound and feeling of that spring in the buffer tube gives the AR a personality all it's own.
After I get my new grip in the mail this thing is straight off to the range! :)

If its not too much trouble I'd love to see a pic. I cant imagine how you would mount a rail on the stock handgaurd. I really do like the classic M-16 look of this gun. The only things I plan on changing are the grip, trigger gaurd, buttstock, and maybe the charging handle. I'm keeping it simple.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Rail mounted to stock handguard:

Two screws through the holes in the lower guard

Keeps the rifle looking basically stock, while still adding the advantage of the rail.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts