Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Right now I'm focusing on changing the really bad pistol grip. That little bulge is really uncomfortable. lol I'm going with the Magpul MOE grip and Magpul trigger guard. Thanks for the tip though. I'll definitely look into that a little later. :)
Is the MOE grip the one with the rubber coating? If so great choice. I've got the rubber coated one on my black rifle and it is the most comfortable grip you can get.

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Here's a little safety thing I was taught my first day in S.E.A. by my Q.R.T. commander: When you have the mag in the weapon, don't hit the butt on a hard surface. If you hit it hard enough, he bolt will go back, hit the buffer spring, and when it returns it will chamber a round and you might not even know it. I tried it on my M-16 and it did it.

Just thought you might like to know for future reference.
That would take one behemoth of a blow. Not trying to run it past you but how much force did it take? I could see falling from a height right on the butt...

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Oh, and there is one more thing I forgot to mention. Sorry for the bombardment of questions... When I pressed the trigger to release the hammer it slipped out of my hand and hit the bolt catch. They both have a mark from it. The trigger and bolt catch both seem to work fine though. Is there something I should check?
So you had the upper detached from the lower and pulled the trigger resulting in it hitting the bolt catch. You probably ruined your entire rifle my friend. Your best bet now is to send it to me. :D

Jk, I understand your concern, You spend your hard earned cash and want everything to be perfect. Your rifle is fine. I've done it before. There is no way you could have damaged anything from that more then just a mark.
EDIT I guess it is possible to damage your bolt catch either by bending or breaking it and possibly cracking your lower receiver from a lower separated "dry fire". I'll take that as a hit on my rep :). My mistake people...

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Thanks again! That mark will be a reminder not to hold the hammer but to put my thumb on top of it. Hands soaked in Ballistol doesn't allow for the best grip on the hammer... LOL

That should be all the questions I have(for now :D).

I hope to shoot it next weekend. I can't wait!
Have fun! I guarantee you'll like shooting it more than your handguns.

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Maybe I should have said that the bolt pushes the buffer back. A minor thing.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment of knowledge to post videos.

How long have you been around AR-15? I first my first M-16 in 1970 and for years after that I either carried one on duty or had an AR of my own until the mid 90s.

If you doubt me, give yours a good smack on the ground.

I just noticed, you're in N.Y. Are you even allowed to have one?
You had me a bit curious on this whole thing so I gave the butt of my carbine length a nice smack on the ground and the buffer didn't budge at all that I could tell. Was the M16 you had a rifle length? I could maybe see that with the lighter buffer spring.

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Only two that I know of that are close to me. One of them is for Skeet Shooting only. The other one is the one I go to.

I've never looked into shooting outside of city lines. What do you mean by that? Go out in the woods and shoot or something?
Here in Northern Utah we have a lot of open land that's run by the BLM that we can go shooting at-check this DOI: BLM: Eastern States Home Page . I'd contact them and see what areas around NE you can shoot at or talk to the guys at the LGS. If it's outlawed around there it's time to think about moving out west(just not to California).

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Yes it was. Mostly we carried the original M-16s without the bolt assist. We also at times carries the G.A.U. which was what the Army called the CAR-15. I never tried doing it with the G.A.U. though.

Was your dust cover closed? If the bolt moved enough the dust cover would open.

It could be possible that these springs had reached the point where they could do it but I had done it with my Colt M-16 and AR-15 some years back. Maybe the bolt assist prevented yours from doing it.
Interesting. The dust cover was off on mine. Hmm well maybe I'll try it again with it closed.

· finder of holes
186 Posts
When I bought this place we could and did, it was one reason I built this place here. Then we were re-zoned from agricultural to agricultural-residential, and now it's a no-no on the two acres the house is on. I can cross the creek onto land that I also own and it's legal to shoot, but a new subdivision is being built on the other side of that and Sheriff deputies were called out the last time I went back there. I'm so very done with this place where every burro-crat has their nose in your business. I miss the freedom of the west.
That sucks Larry. You spend your life savings on what seems to be a great thing then the government comes in and wrecks it. Bureaucratic BS at its finest. Well I hope something works out and you can move out this way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.