Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Oh, and there is one more thing I forgot to mention. Sorry for the bombardment of questions... When I pressed the trigger to release the hammer it slipped out of my hand and hit the bolt catch. They both have a mark from it. The trigger and bolt catch both seem to work fine though. Is there something I should check?
So you had the upper detached from the lower and pulled the trigger resulting in it hitting the bolt catch. You probably ruined your entire rifle my friend. Your best bet now is to send it to me. :D

Jk, I understand your concern, You spend your hard earned cash and want everything to be perfect. Your rifle is fine. I've done it before. There is no way you could have damaged anything from that more then just a mark.
EDIT I guess it is possible to damage your bolt catch either by bending or breaking it and possibly cracking your lower receiver from a lower separated "dry fire". I'll take that as a hit on my rep :). My mistake people...

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So you had the upper detached from the lower and pulled the trigger resulting in it hitting the bolt catch. You probably ruined your entire rifle my friend. Your best bet now is to send it to me. :D

Jk, I understand your concern, You spend your hard earned cash and want everything to be perfect. Your rifle is fine. I've done it before. There is no way you could have damaged anything from that more then just a mark.
Thanks again! That mark will be a reminder not to hold the hammer but to put my thumb on top of it. Hands soaked in Ballistol doesn't allow for the best grip on the hammer... LOL

That should be all the questions I have(for now :D).

I hope to shoot it next weekend. I can't wait!

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Thanks again! That mark will be a reminder not to hold the hammer but to put my thumb on top of it. Hands soaked in Ballistol doesn't allow for the best grip on the hammer... LOL

Have fun! I guarantee you'll like shooting it more than your handguns.

· Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
When day dawns, head out to the range and shoot that thing. :D Then jump in here and tell us how great it was (after its cleaned).

Today I got to the range with one of my old ARs and the new one I just put together. The new one with a 24" stainless bull barrel was a anniversary gift from my wife (35 years Monday) and since I built the gun myself, its the best shooting AR I own. All together we put 400 rounds downrange.

You will love the gun even more after you shoot it a bunch. BTW, I take a bottle of CLP with me when I break in a new AR. In the East, I'd keep it sloppy wet for a 100 rounds or so, tear it down, wipe it down, reassemble it with normal oiling and shoot some more, giving it a squirt of oil every 100 rounds or so. In the desert, I'd not be so liberal with oil, but where you live keep her wet.

Go slow while you are breaking it in, no rapid fireing. A shot every 3-4 seconds is about as fast as I'd go. Shoot 5 rnds wait a couple minutes, shoot 10 rounds wait a few more - you've got to check the target right? Go back and shoot a mag. Let her cool. My opinion, YMMV.

For an erector set these things are a hoot to shoot. Have fun Friend.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
When day dawns, head out to the range and shoot that thing. :D Then jump in here and tell us how great it was (after its cleaned).

Today I got to the range with one of my old ARs and the new one I just put together. The new one with a 24" stainless bull barrel was a anniversary gift from my wife (35 years Monday) and since I built the gun myself, its the best shooting AR I own. All together we put 400 rounds downrange.

You will love the gun even more after you shoot it a bunch. BTW, I take a bottle of CLP with me when I break in a new AR. In the East, I'd keep it sloppy wet for a 100 rounds or so, tear it down, wipe it down, reassemble it with normal oiling and shoot some more, giving it a squirt of oil every 100 rounds or so. In the desert, I'd not be so liberal with oil, but where you live keep her wet.

Go slow while you are breaking it in, no rapid fireing. A shot every 3-4 seconds is about as fast as I'd go. Shoot 5 rnds wait a couple minutes, shoot 10 rounds wait a few more - you've got to check the target right? Go back and shoot a mag. Let her cool. My opinion, YMMV.

For an erector set these things are a hoot to shoot. Have fun Friend.
No rapid fire. Keep it wet. Keep it cool. Got it! :D

I hope I enjoy my AR as much as you enjoyed yours. I'll be sure to give a range report after I shoot it. Hopefully that will be soon. Again, I really appreciate all the help. :)

· Registered
596 Posts
I have yet to shoot my AR since I got it Sunday. Now the weather is crappy and having a job that I have to show up at least 6 days a week will prevent me from playing with my new AR until I have time and this wet weather lets up!

· Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I have yet to shoot my AR since I got it Sunday. Now the weather is crappy and having a job that I have to show up at least 6 days a week will prevent me from playing with my new AR until I have time and this wet weather lets up!
By all means, keep working, we need those tax dollars! :D I've got to be kept in ammo. :D:D:D

Perhaps you'll get a little break in the weather, Pal. I know I really get frustrated when I can't shoot for a while.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

Banjo, have you tried FrogLube yet? I've tried on several pistols and my Remington 700 SPS and my 10/22 TD. It works fantastic and makes future cleanings a snap. On the FrogLube website froglube.com, they mention it not only cleans and protects it better than oil based products but can also make it slightly more accurate due to the freer moving parts.

But, don't think this will help with slippery parts. When FrogLube is wet, it is extremely slippery but dries quickly. When your gun heats up, it returns to liquid form and adheres to the metal/plastic/wood, whatever. You can put it everywhere and it's so safe you can eat it. But, I've never tried it! :eek:'

I'm going to post how things go after I FrogLube my AR and let you guys know how it goes. But it's hard to imagine it being more accurate. :p

· Registered
193 Posts
Want a hint? Never underestimate the chance of it happening.

There is always the possibility that it can happen. People are not always going to be within the confines of a gunrange with all its regulations, shooting booths, and smooth floors.

If you are outside somewhere and trip you could automatically try using the weapon to break your fall or it could just slam into the ground with you. Granted it might take a good smack on the end of the butt, but it will chamber a round.

If you want to and have some of those plastic bullets, give it a try.
Thanks, But I don't need a hint from you. There is no possibility of this happening;) You say, you have done this - please post up a video. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see this.:rolleyes:

Another indicator of your story being fishy is " If you hit it hard enough, he bolt will go back, hit the buffer spring"

The bolt doesn't "go back and hit the buffer spring":rolleyes: It is always in contact (via buffer) with the buffer spring and under constant pressure from the buffer spring.

I think you are confusing what actually can happen. Again...The BCG needs to be locked back - then a slight tap of the butt stock on the ground will release the bolt and chamber a round if there is a loaded magazine in the magwell.

Also, it seems the OP has skimmed over my response to your post and thanked you for the tip:confused: This is how misinformation spreads rampantly- Sad.. you can lead a horse to water........ect......ect.

· Registered
2,180 Posts
Maybe I should have said that the bolt pushes the buffer back. A minor thing.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment of knowledge to post videos.

How long have you been around AR-15? I first my first M-16 in 1970 and for years after that I either carried one on duty or had an AR of my own until the mid 90s.

If you doubt me, give yours a good smack on the ground.

I just noticed, you're in N.Y. Are you even allowed to have one?

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Banjo, have you tried FrogLube yet? I've tried on several pistols and my Remington 700 SPS and my 10/22 TD. It works fantastic and makes future cleanings a snap. On the FrogLube website froglube.com, they mention it not only cleans and protects it better than oil based products but can also make it slightly more accurate due to the freer moving parts.

But, don't think this will help with slippery parts. When FrogLube is wet, it is extremely slippery but dries quickly. When your gun heats up, it returns to liquid form and adheres to the metal/plastic/wood, whatever. You can put it everywhere and it's so safe you can eat it. But, I've never tried it! :eek:'

I'm going to post how things go after I FrogLube my AR and let you guys know how it goes. But it's hard to imagine it being more accurate. :p
I've looked into Froglube. I tried to see if anyone local sells it and nobody does. Amazon wouldn't ship any gun cleaners to my address.... I'm not sure why? I don't buy anything online unless it's Amazon. For now, Ballistol is what I'll use. If I do get my hands on Froglube in the future I will definitely give it a try!

· Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I've looked into Froglube. I tried to see if anyone local sells it and nobody does. Amazon wouldn't ship any gun cleaners to my address....
Everybody is covering their backside these days. I can't imagine why gun cleaner would be a no-no unless the company only sells in certain states.

Banjo - Hey, why aren't you out shooting that thing????:D Waiting for rust to :D:Dset in??

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Everybody is covering their backside these days. I can't imagine why gun cleaner would be a no-no unless the company only sells in certain states.

Banjo - Hey, why aren't you out shooting that thing????:D Waiting for rust to :D:Dset in??
I could've gone today but my range is closed for Deer Season. :(

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
How many ranges you got there in NE? Anywhere you can shoot out of city lines?
Only two that I know of that are close to me. One of them is for Skeet Shooting only. The other one is the one I go to.

I've never looked into shooting outside of city lines. What do you mean by that? Go out in the woods and shoot or something?

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Maybe I should have said that the bolt pushes the buffer back. A minor thing.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment of knowledge to post videos.

How long have you been around AR-15? I first my first M-16 in 1970 and for years after that I either carried one on duty or had an AR of my own until the mid 90s.

If you doubt me, give yours a good smack on the ground.

I just noticed, you're in N.Y. Are you even allowed to have one?
You had me a bit curious on this whole thing so I gave the butt of my carbine length a nice smack on the ground and the buffer didn't budge at all that I could tell. Was the M16 you had a rifle length? I could maybe see that with the lighter buffer spring.

· finder of holes
186 Posts
Only two that I know of that are close to me. One of them is for Skeet Shooting only. The other one is the one I go to.

I've never looked into shooting outside of city lines. What do you mean by that? Go out in the woods and shoot or something?
Here in Northern Utah we have a lot of open land that's run by the BLM that we can go shooting at-check this DOI: BLM: Eastern States Home Page . I'd contact them and see what areas around NE you can shoot at or talk to the guys at the LGS. If it's outlawed around there it's time to think about moving out west(just not to California).

· Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.