Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased the GP 100 4" revolver. I do not like the new Hogue grips that Ruger is using, so I purchased the old style from Altamont with the wood inserts.
I installed them, but its a very sloppy fit, the grip does not come all the way up and sit flush against the frame. I can push it up to fit perfectly, but as soon I you handle the gun, it pulls away.

I noticed I DID NOT get the locator pin with the grip and was wondering exactly is the purpose of the pin?? There were no instructions in the box!

Any suggestions??http://s49.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Campton/media/grip_zps3hi4gkln.jpg.html

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The purpose of the pin is to keep the grip flush against the frame. :D Not trying to sound snarky, but you do need that pin. If Altamont won't send you one, I know Chigs will sell you one for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yep, that locator pin has a purpose. Without that pin those grips flop around like a fish out of water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. Can you please tell me how the pin is installed and used?? Altamont ships with no instructions!
Or can someone direct me to a You Tube video showing this?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Goes right there. Just pushes in. Grip panels hold it in place.

(Compact grips shown, but same idea)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
MidWayUSA has them, but it's a toss up if they're backordered or not.

There has to be a source for them, maybe even from Ruger, since they use them on the Wiley Clapp and th new .22 GP100.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Before ordering a pin, measure the ID of the hole in your grip and your grip stud on the revolver frame. Make sure the diameter matches. Ruger used two different sized pins depending on when the gun was built. You'll need to know the diameter.

Also, don't be afraid to poke around your garage or work shop for a suitably sized wooden dowel. I've heard of guys cutting these to length and using them in place of missing locator pins (at least until your correct steel one arrives).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that Altamont doesn't include the locator pin with their grips. I ordered a set of this type of grip with rosewood panels directly from shopruger.com, and they came with the locator pin included.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok,

Looks like I DO have the locator pin....

I think I follow now. The locator pin is that small cylinder like barrel that is in the Altamont rubber grips, correct? I popped that out so the grips would slide on. I see that you have to
remove that swinging piece at the bottom in order to push the locator pin in, correct? How do you remove that piece??

Its hard to believe Altamont provide no instruction!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Swinging piece????

Simple install: slip the grip (rubber) onto the revolver grip stud, push the grip locator pin through the big cavernous hole, slap on the two side panels (wood), and screw it all together. Done

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Owly,

You are not following me! The current GP100 comes with the black Hogue grips. There is a screw at the bottom of the grip that screws in a stirrup at the bottom of the grip frame that NEEDS to be removed in order to insert the locator pin!
Just trying to figure out how to remove it!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Just pull the metal "tabs" slowly apart, and ease that metal part that the screw goes into out of the stirrup frame. Remove the metal stirrup, out of the GP100 grip stud frame. Now that it's all out, you can put the Lett grips on.

Put the screw and stirrup inside the Hogue grips, and throw them in your useless parts bin:)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I didn't realize you had left that on there. It needs to go.

That entire stirrup assembly is part of the Hogue grip and needs to be removed entirely before you can install anything. It is simply made of spring steel. You just pry it apart far enough to get its pin out and slide it off (at least that's how it works on full frame revolvers. I've never had a Hogue for the GP). Your revolver is ready to accept the new grip only once you have a bare grip stud to work with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Done and installed! They fit perfectly and look so much better that those Houge finger groove grips, in my opinion!

Thanks for walking me through this!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ok,

Looks like I DO have the locator pin....

I think I follow now. The locator pin is that small cylinder like barrel that is in the Altamont rubber grips, correct? I popped that out so the grips would slide on. I see that you have to
remove that swinging piece at the bottom in order to push the locator pin in, correct? How do you remove that piece??

Its hard to believe Altamont provide no instruction!
Yes you need to remove that piece, it goes with the Hogues

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Done and installed! They fit perfectly and look so much better that those Houge finger groove grips, in my opinion!

Thanks for walking me through this!
Good to hear. Let's see some pics

1 - 20 of 26 Posts