Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Gun Show today looking for a 4" GP, but came back with another Six. :rolleyes:

This is a limited edition Marksman model. I've never seen one before and the seller told me there were only 1000 made. The stock target grips are really nice. Not a scratch or blemish and they fit the hand like a glove.

My question to all of you Ruger nuts? The gun is unfired. Should I fire it or keep it as a collector? I'm leaning towards firing the gun.

I only have $425 into the gun so I'm not to worried about using it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Very nice find. I would try no to fire it, but that would last a few weeks
I think it was a good deal for 425

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I love those grips........is it a .357 or a .38 Special?

I don't own guns that I haven't fired, so I would shoot it.:) Let your grandkids worry about the value 70 years from now......

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dids you get the original box and papers too?
The guy said he would send the papers.

I did a little research and found they came as a set. A Security Six and Redhawk. The collector value is probably not there without the matching Redhawk. Ruger Police Marksman Association

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice Six! I would shoot it. You can't hurt it, you can clean it up like new and with no box or papers I'm guessing it's already been shot anyway. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't own guns that I haven't fired, so I would shoot it. Let your grandkids worry about the value 70 years from now......
Now that is just what my itching ears wanted to hear. :D I don't think I would make it very long not firing it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Waveform.

Without the matching Redhawk and papers there doesn't seem to be anything holding me back. She's going to the range! :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Too many people worry about the value of their unfired, NIB guns........life is short, put some rounds through that thing:)

That's why I collect "meat and potatoes" service revolvers and trade-ins, I love to shoot and I don't need fancy, engraved or NIB stuff that's gonna be a safe anchor and never see any range time.

What comes to mind, was an older gentleman who passed away and his wife sold his collection of S&W's to our local gun shop here, including a very nice Model 29 that looked like it had maybe 6 rounds through it......well, my Dad bought that 29 that sat in the collector's safe for 40+ years in mint condition, and we don't shoot the crap out of it, but it's got a few hundred on it at least:) If you don't shoot it, eventually , someone is going to!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love those grips........is it a .357 or a .38 Special?
It's a 357. I've never paid more than $350 for a Six, but this thing is in excellent condition and the grips are well worth the extra money. I wish I could find grips like this for my other sixes.

ExArmy-- My intentions were to get a GP like yours, but all they had were new 4" models for $560. They didn't have any used ones in my price range so I settled for another Six. I'm happy with it though and can't wait to take it out.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
... I wish I could find grips like this for my other sixes. ....
exlogger - would the target grips Ruger is unloading on shopruger.com work for you?

RLG-Security-Six-Grips-Set-of-6-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

I bought a box of six sets and the price including shipping works out to $9.51 per set. One comment - the wood grain quality varies. I had one really nice set, one that was a close second, a third that was pretty good and the other three were OK but had the color of butterscotch pudding! They fit was good and they feel great.

I think these grips fit guns with serial numbers starting with 151, which cover most Sixes except the first few years.

Wave

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I should add - the wood on your Marksman model find is very nice. Not a real dark walnut but very nice grain. I would think they took extra care to put nice stocks on those Sixes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's a really nice find, and a great price! And yes, I would shoot it. I've never had any interest in owning any firearm I cannot shoot. If I want to just look at or admire rare or special weapons, well, that's what museums are for to my mind.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
That's a great looking Security-Six! That Ruger was made to shoot, so that's what I would do with her!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your new wheel gun & Welcome from NE North Carolina..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts