Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my brand new 582 series Mini to the range this past weekend and had a great time. This rifle started out with a wood stock but I replaced it with a Hogue and Choate hand guard. I really like this combination but am torn because the Choate looks just as nice against the walnut.

Sighted in the open sights and fired about 60 more rounds. I tried out American Eagle, PMC, and Armscor ammo, all of which functioned flawlessly. You can see my expensive brass catcher. (OK the box was free, it's what's inside that costs so much).

The larger target I used for sight in and to get used to the ghost ring sights. The 8in target was 3 groups of 3 shots. I considered that pretty good for 50 yards. Definitely coyote killing worthy.
I plan to eventually swap out the gas bushing for a smaller one. I am also looking at an Ultimak and Vortex Crossfire scope combo when funds are available.
P.S. If you do not have a Mini 14 StripLULA.... GET ONE!!! These things rock!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice shooting for sure. I have the hogue stock as well as a factory Syn and a wooden stock . Of all my stocks I like the Syn the best . The hogue is great but the Hogues are cut for thr Mini 14/30 so they are a little sloppy. The easiest way to fix that is to shim them . Its far cheaper and Credit cards are every where. The credit card shim lasts for ever and helps the accuracy of these guns alot . There are many things to do to the Mini , thats another thread. enjoy.

Attachments

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Great! I always have fun with my Mini. When I share it. It usually gets more attention than my ARs... which always interests me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
Misfire51- I found my Hogue to be a fairly tight fit when I installed it. Maybe they have changed the design with the new ones. I'll take a closer look tonight.
Neon Horse- My brother actually wanted to help me build an AR. I tend to walk my own path more often than not. Not really interested in being like everyone else at the range. ;P

·
Registered
680 Posts
AR is a good platform but many people discount the viability of the Mini series. The Mini series can be every bit as capable as an AR for less money than a piston driven AR equivalent, plus you get everything you need out of the box including front and rear sights, something not every AR gives you. The accuracy issues of the Mini series are over blown, even on the older ones it was easily remedied with a $100 accustrut kit. I was about to suggest the Choate hand guard myself to reduce heat build up but I see it's on there! I just got one for my older 197 series Mini 30 and it looks great! I haven't tested it yet. The only real disadvantage to this platform, the Mini series, is it's hard to mount on accessories, especially optics. Yeah there are aftermarket stocks that give you fully length picatini rails but I heard most of them aren't robust plus the reason most get the Mini series is because they prefer traditional rifle stock and don't like pistol grip rifles. Great new gun you got there!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Glad you joined the Mini club there Woodswalker. I've owned them years ago but sold them off for the AR craze. I finally grabbed a 583 series a few months ago. Prior to shooting I installed the Hadaway .050 bushing. First range trip the gun worked like a Swiss watch. I shot a box of 50 mixed handloads. Like you iron sights at 100 yds. The Mini lobbed them into a 4"x4" area. Minute of battle field goodness. The .050 brass was flying in the area of 15' to 20". I've since installed the .045 bushing and a rubber recoil buffer but haven't tested yet.

Enjoy the Mini they are excellent rifles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am only finding gas bushings sold as kits of 3-5. Is there a website that sells the smaller size bushings per piece? Does anyone have an extra bushing they are not using and are willing to sell?
Thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts