Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a barely used 4 5/8" stainless steel New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt today. My question is this, will this revolver will be able to handle full house loads from Buffalo Bore and other heavy factory loads? Thanks guys.

OK, I read up, it looks like circa 1973 Ruger started using the large frame (.44 magnum frame) for all Blackhawks when Ruger transitioned from the 3-screw Blackhawks to the New Model Blackhawks. Therefore, if I have this correct, there should be no issue with using full power loads in this New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt.

Now, in the event I'm stupid and got this all wrong, please let me know.

GS

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ngashooter, I really appreciate it.:thumbsup:

GS

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't know, was hoping Iowegan would chime in on this by now...I understand mods/admins can't keep up with every thread, I would suggest sending Iowegan a pm and post back the response. Iowegan is one of the experts on all things Ruger...among other things.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know, was hoping Iowegan would chime in on this by now...I understand mods/admins can't keep up with every thread, I would suggest sending Iowegan a pm and post back the response. Iowegan is one of the experts on all things Ruger...among other things.

Thanks for the advice, will do.

GS

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
My 1977 vintage blackhakw has over 80 k orunds thru it including 20 k ruger only loads and some reloads of mine that weree looking back boy was that dumb. So shoot away. By dumb I mean 360 grain bullet at 1500 fps. That is 454 caull range velocity. recoil was to put it mildly bad.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,309 Posts
There are two different 45 cal New Model Blackhawks …. the origional is very strong and will handle high pressure loads up to 30k psi. The newer mid-frame Flattop Blackhawks have a much thinner cylinder so they are not suitable for high pressure loads but will be safe with pressures up to 23k psi (14k psi is the SAAMI max pressure rating)..

This subject comes up quite often because Ruger managed to confuse their customers by using the same name on both guns. One way to detect the difference is the serial number prefix has 3 digits in mid-frame Blackhawks but only 2-digits in conventional Blackhawks. Yes, there may be exceptions ….. seems with Rugers you never say "always or never".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you Iowegan, very helpful. Do we know when the newer mid-frame Flattop Blackhawks initially came out? I must admit I was confused by all this until Iowegan helped me out.
I found another New Model Blackhawk (blued) that has a two digit prefix, (46-64637 that's 1981, right?) it is also .45 Colt and is not, to my eyes, a flat top. That is, the top strap starts to rise up at the front of the rear sight. I might see if I can work a swap, I like the 7 1/2" barrel better on the blued Blackhawk rather than the 4 5/8" barrel on the SS flat top anyway. Thanks to all for your help. I will try and post some photos tonight of what I am talking about.

GS

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,309 Posts
Genetically Swiss, What makes it even more confusing ….. both the full frame and mid-frame Blackhawks are currently in production. The first mid-frame flattops were made in 2006 to celebrate Ruger's 50th anniversary for making Blackhawks and still continue along with mid-frame New Vaqueros, which is an even more confusing topic.

The 1981 vintage Blackhawk you mentioned is a full frame. 4 5/8" Blackhawks balance nice and are a bit easier to holster, however when it comes to performance, that extra almost 3" really helps to increase velocity and give you a longer sight radius. I own both but don't shoot heavy loads in the 4 5/8". My Bisley 7 1/2" 45 Colt is by far my favorite for heavy loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts