Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new pet. I picked him up cause of the unique "spots" between the bands. It's rare for copperheads to have two spots side-by-side, but four is quite rare!

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, this guy I got from the South Carolina Repticon on July 17th (Yesterday). This guy is ~15" long, the other copper is close to 28".

As far as getting out? No. These cages have a lock & key to them!

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the other, note he doesn't have the 'dots'.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
as long as you feed and water him and you can pet him too.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Right pretty snake but I shy away from those little suckers that have venom. Already looks like those beady little eyes are checking your thumb out. Just waiting for a chance to chomp on it:D
Baker

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by Snuffy

as long as you feed and water him and you can pet him too.
I would like to see that! :D
The larger one, I am 90% sure if you were easy and gentle with him, he wouldn't bite if you tied to pick him up. I have changed his water bowl several times without removing him from the tank and he has never gotten irritated with me.
Now the little guy, hes got an attitude. I always remove him from the cage before I do any maintenance. He has never struck at me, but you can tell tell he doesn't want me anywhere near his cage. Just walking by his cage he starts rattling* and watches me walk by. He doesn't ride a hook well either.

*Copperheads rattle their tails just like rattlesnakes when irritated, it doesn't make as much noise due to the missing 'rattles'.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

Right pretty snake but I shy away from those little suckers that have venom.
I shy way from the bad boys. For example this Sunday at Repticon, the most common venomous was copperheads, then the local rattlers followed by the green tree viper. So if you were in the venomous section and saw a green snake, it was more than likely a green tree viper. Most of the baby snakes are displayed in a small clear Coolwhip looking containers with holes poked in them. So with this in thought....

I was looking at a display a vendor had with young (under 12") venomous. I picked up and closely inspected a few juvenile copperheads, and looked at a couple of the pygmy rattlesnakes, and then I noticed a green tree viper. I picked it up for close inspection and noticed this guy has a conical head... mmmm.. Tree Vipers don't have conical heads... so I started rotating the container to read the label.. Green Mamba. After I lost my bladder control, I put the container down. [V]

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would say only WOW. Some may explain why he likes to pet a poisonous wife, but venomous snake... it's out of rationality, I guess. Isn't it?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Don't wanna see you on Venom ER, Keith-you won't look that good on camera all swelled up and moanin'....a snake is a snake and a bitin' snake will bite ya...just which day...you be careful and don't take chances...your girls need a Daddy....they are fascinating, and that's how they get you...you're thinkin' how pretty they are and they're thinkin' just a little bit closer...kinda like an ex-wife...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We went to the big reptile show in Hamburg, PA a few weeks ago, where I picked up a Kisatchie cornsnake and my wife got a bearded dragon. Lots of venomous snakes there, mambas, rattlers, etc., and a really wild looking thing called a rhino viper or something. Crazy. A lot of these came from south America, but I find the good ol' American big fat diamondbacks to be among the most intimidating looking of all the venomous snakes. Keith, those spots are indeed unique and cool. I have that same water bowl. That is where our snake similarities end!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
yeah, he's bad a$$, brother. I bet you have them down there in TX, don't you? Virginia has copperheads, timber rattlers and maybe cottonmouths, I'm not sure. Never seen any of them in the wild. Last year I was on an Indian Reservation in central Montana and although I never saw one, people said rattlers were everywhere and common. That's a little creepy, to have to watch out for something like that, always keeping it in the back of your mind. Hey, another reason to carry! (I would only shoot a rattler in self defense if I felt my life was threatened!)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I met one in a farmhouse near Waco a few years back, laying on my belly with my head under a sink...pulled up a rotten board under the sink and she was coiled about 12" from my head...I dropped the board back and scuttled back outa there-before I could get a gun she'd gone back down the gaspipe hole...had quite a nest under the sink and the lady'd always cooked barefoot and all the snake woulda had to do is go around the sink cabinet and had her anytime...I had nightmares 3 nights after...started carrying a .44Spl with shot loads on the place after that...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I like snakes, and they have their place in this world. As far as the venomous ones, they belong outside - far, far away.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Keith
you would like Sweetwater, TX if you like rattlesnakes. The 2nd weekend in March every year, they have the "world's largest rattlesnake round-up" (as advertised). Also along with it is a very large gun show. I tend to spend more time at the gunshow.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts