Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings Ruger Forum...
This is my first post here, and it's inspired by my recent acquisition of a GP100. My first Ruger! I'm sure you guys are familiar, but this is a re-import from an overseas police contract. This particular gun does not have much in the way of holster wear at all (I've heard that a lot of them are pretty rough). Anyway I am wondering about the usefulness of getting the action smoothed out by a gunsmith. The trigger is actually pretty nice, not gritty at all, but is does have that hitch just before the hammer drops. Since it presumably has no single-action notch, why does it even stack like that? Since all I can do is shoot double action, I'd like it to be as smooth as possible. Could a gunsmith easily eliminate the stack in the trigger? If so, what would be a reasonable cost? I'd like to know what I'm talking about before looking for a local smith.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Welcome from Northern California. Congrats on your GP. I didn't know Ruger made a DA action only GP, I learn something new every day!

·
Registered
534 Posts
To Upload Photos

I tried to upload a picture but it didn't work.
Could be the picture file size is too large; there is a max file size that can be attached to messages.

I have found the best way to post pictures to this (and other forums) is to create a (free) account at one of the photo hosting sites - I use photobucket.com, but there are many out there.

Once you have uploaded pictures to photo bucket (or whatever you are using), it is pretty straight forward to use the URL of your picture and typing
after it. In photo bucket, all this is accomplished by a single click on the "copy url" button, and then paste that in your message.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if that hammer was bobbed after being acquired by an overseas unit.
No, I don't think so. From what I understand, these are factory DAO's made under contract. I am unsure if replacing the hammer would work. Right now I'm more interested in smoothing out the action. Any idea how much a good action job should cost?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice GP. From memory I think that's a KGPF-440-DAO (if I'm not right I should be close). Curious how you can tell it was re-imported? Are there proof marks from another country or is it roll marked somehow? Or did you letter it from Ruger? The photo doesn't really show anything different from a domestic gun.

Can't really offer much on the cost of a trigger job. I tend to smooth things up on my own, experiment with different springs, etc. But only on my range guns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You found one of my Ruger grail guns.
That's nice of you to say. Makes me feel good about my obscure little gun. I hope you find every grail in your own time.
Curious how you can tell it was re-imported?
It is stamped C.A.I., Georgia VT. on the side not in picture. (Century Arms International did the re-importing on these). Grant Cunningham has an article about one of these here:
GrantCunningham.com - Gunsmithing
I'm mainly thinking of this as my HD gun, so I don't necessarily want to mess with the trigger spring... I'd just like it to be smoother, without the staging before the hammer drops.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Nice article! I suppose you could send yours to Cunningham for the same treatment....

So your GP came back to the states from NZ. That's kinda cool. Probably explains why there's such little wear and tear. Only drawn to control mobs of bewildered sheep (sorry Kiwihunter!)

I read Cunningham got the trigger down to 8.5 lbs. I've done that on a couple of GPs but changed out springs to get there.

You've got a nice piece there - enjoy!

Wave

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Most gp100's have a " stack" at the end of the trigger pull before the hammer drops. I have the exact same gun and I was told it was a Canadian re-import. It's one of my favorites, I left it in DAO and it shoots great as is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've been told mine was Canadian too. I wondered about that stack... since it has no single-action, do you think it could be removed or smoothed out? (I could be way off, but my first thought is that the stack comes right at the point (in the notch) where a single-action hammer would engage). I plan to leave mine in DAO as well.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Nice GP.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Congradulations...that is in nice shape! Those contract guns are hard to get...especially one that's in that nice of condition!

BTW... XS Sight Systems - Home makes a nice tritium front night sight for the fixed-sight GP100's...I have one on mine (see avatar).

You might try a set of Wolff Springs (10# set) to see if that helps with the DAO trigger pull and control...or maybe contact Ruger CS and see if they would be able to convert it back to SA/DA hammer set if you wanted to go that route?

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I don't know what he paid in 2012:) But those are maybe a $450 gun these days.

I have since added a 3" version of the same gun, love it.

I leave them in DAO, I let them exist as the anti-lawyer PC bureaucrat-policy induced ex-cop guns that they are, just like my NYPD .38 Service Six and GPNY. At least the Canadian GP's are .357.

With DA/SA GP100's readily available I see no need to swap hammers in a DAO revolver. They look good with that bobbed hammer and it's more of a challenge to your shooting skills to not have that hammer cocking "crutch" to fall back on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.