Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Shotgun Gun barrel Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Automotive tire

So, if anyone followed me originally, I had to sell my dad's 44' Inland M1 cal 30 carbine as I could not own it in the "great" state of New Jersey. And, although bitter sweet, the shop I left it with finally sold it and I picked this up last Tuesday. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time and at the right price. To each his own, but I stripped everything off (laser, flashlight, and the rigged rails), had to replace the stock as when the rail was cut around the iron sight, the prior owner cut into the stock. Just waiting for some new parts and will post some pics when its all done. And yes, when I got it I did look up and thanked my Dad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for your loss! Although I'm in the People's Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia, I'm unfamiliar with NJ's enlightened laws on M1 carbines and fear these will somehow, someway be deemed "assault rifles" or other WMDs. Please englighten us as to the Garden State's edicts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, basically, just think California and there you have NJ. Our governor (Governor Knucklehead Murphy) said he wants to make NJ the east coast version of CA. And there is a ct case here in NJ where the defendant had all of his firearms seized due to a DV matter. They were all returned with the exception of the M1 Carbine his grandfather gave him. So, it's actually noted in an actual case. It's a mess. You can google NJ firearms laws to see the entire list of banned firearms.
We have to wait several more years before we can relocate due to my job. However, wherever we go will be RED.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess getting a Curio and Relics license and owning it under that wouldn't make a difference?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hopefully, we recall Comrade Newsome tomorrow, so that he doesn't run for president. Ditto with Murphy.

And I'm sure Murphy is aware that 60 people got shot in Chicago over the weekend, Chicago being the flag bearer for gun control laws.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Guns bans sometimes pop up in the most unlikely places. When I bought my .22 lr Ruger 10/22 Charger (1st gen), it was banned in just ONE CITY in OH. You would think one of the big 3: Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati, right? WRONG, it was Toledo !?!?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
First, sorry about your pops and having to sell his rifle. Looks like you honored him with a respectable replacement though. Given your circumstances, I'm sure he'd approve. Regardless of your hometown government, we're all in that fight. Enjoy that rifle while you can. It looks sharp and big fun conducive. Welcome to the forum paulm667!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess getting a Curio and Relics license and owning it under that wouldn't make a difference?
The NJ definition is way too narrow for anything you would want. We'll just have to wait for an "assault weapon" case to reach the Supreme Court, which may never happen.

In the recent past, NJ would have brought felony charges against that guy for being discovered with an M1. They're laying low for now because the Supreme Court has recently shown an interest in taking gun cases.

They routinely threaten criminal prosecution, but, if you're able to defend yourself in court, then they're like "just playin' you didn't think we'd actually send you to prison for 10 years for inheriting granddad's rifle," but that's exactly what they would do if the Supreme Court were not looking at these issues.

·
Registered
701 Posts
^^ LifeLong Ruger Fan, what exactly did the ban involve and did owners have to turn them in?
Mine was the very 1st generation of the Ruger 10/22 Charger, available in one model only. There are several now + distributor exclusives: Ruger® 22 Charger™ Rimfire Pistol Models At the outset, the Charger was just not available for sale in Toledo, OH. It was on a Ruger list of states & municipalities that prohibited them, and it was really strange to see Toledo lumped in with CA, NY, NJ (entire states). I don't see the prohibition on current ads.

I just got through reading the Wikipedia page on CA gun restrictions. I feel for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ LifeLong Ruger Fan, what exactly did the ban involve and did owners have to turn them in?
I am guessing people were going with "don't ask, don't tell" on anything they may have had. In this case, I believe from what I have gotten from a couple of law enforcement officers (who by the way think it BS), that the M1 is too easily converted to a full auto. I'm sure everything else on the list either comes under the same ridiculousness or is just scary looking. Yet a couple of years ago we had a shooting in Trenton where the perp had a handgun with I believe was a 30 rnd mag. Apparently gang bangers don't read the laws. Ours is no more than 10 rounds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First, sorry about your pops and having to sell his rifle. Looks like you honored him with a respectable replacement though. Given your circumstances, I'm sure he'd approve. Regardless of your hometown government, we're all in that fight. Enjoy that rifle while you can. It looks sharp and big fun conducive. Welcome to the forum paulm667!
Thank you. Yup, the M1 was the last of his firearms. Ironically, it was the only one we could not have transferred to NJ. I should have all my upgrades done by the end of next week. When I first picked up the 10/22, the shop owner jokingly said it does not come with a humvee to mount it on. LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The NJ definition is way too narrow for anything you would want. We'll just have to wait for an "assault weapon" case to reach the Supreme Court, which may never happen.

In the recent past, NJ would have brought felony charges against that guy for being discovered with an M1. They're laying low for now because the Supreme Court has recently shown an interest in taking gun cases.

They routinely threaten criminal prosecution, but, if you're able to defend yourself in court, then they're like "just playin' you didn't think we'd actually send you to prison for 10 years for inheriting granddad's rifle," but that's exactly what they would do if the Supreme Court were not looking at these issues.

Scott Bach pretty much summed it up. In other words, "GET OUT." and that's our plan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NJ resident here. I have heard a theory that the M1 carbine ban was because of the Newark and Plainfield riots of '67. Rioters broke into the Plainfield Machine Company and stole a bunch of M1 Carbines and passed them out. Most of those guns were never recovered. When Gov. Florio and the legislature enacted the AWB in '94, they added the M1 Carbine to the list of banned guns.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NJ resident here. I have heard a theory that the M1 carbine ban was because of the Newark and Plainfield riots of '67. Rioters broke into the Plainfield Machine Company and stole a bunch of M1 Carbines and passed them out. Most of those guns were never recovered. When Gov. Florio and the legislature enacted the AWB in '94, they added the M1 Carbine to the list of banned guns.
That may be the case. Who knows here in NJ. As they say in the NJ Lottery commercial "in New Jersey anything is possible." My dad's has a continuing history. From Inland Mfg in Ohio, to South Korea (apparently it was issued to a SK police regiment according to the Kangi on the stock), to Virginia and now to a new owner in the south western US.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I watched a 15 min video yesterday by a guy who went through all the steps to buy a handgun in NJ. I was floored at the paperwork involved! I used to think some of the posts on this forum were going a bit too far when they talked about "The People's Republic of {CA, NJ, etc.}" But now I see they weren't exaggerating! Along with all the other severe intrusions into your privacy, they have to have 2 people not related to you to officially "vouch" for you? Questions about their drinking, or any reason you think they should not own a gun? There's only a few people I would vouch for, and they're guys I've known 30+ years. I can't imagine state government requiring these forms to own a firearm (which is a "right," not a "privilege" like a driver's license).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I watched a 15 min video yesterday by a guy who went through all the steps to buy a handgun in NJ. I was floored at the paperwork involved! I used to think some of the posts on this forum were going a bit too far when they talked about "The People's Republic of {CA, NJ, etc.}" But now I see they weren't exaggerating! Along with all the other severe intrusions into your privacy, they have to have 2 people not related to you to officially "vouch" for you? Questions about their drinking, or any reason you think they should not own a gun? There's only a few people I would vouch for, and they're guys I've known 30+ years. I can't imagine state government requiring these forms to own a firearm (which is a "right," not a "privilege" like a driver's license).
Hahaaaa!!! Yup. That would be NJ. First you need a Firearms ID Card. Then you have to apply for permits for handguns. I've applied for permits multiple times over the years at the local PD. By law they have 30 days to approve/disapprove the permits. I've waited 28 days, 65 days, 45 days. And my local PD, although it may have changed based on complaints, required re-fingerprinting every 3 years. It's seriously ridiculous to the point where you really do have to laugh.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hahaaaa!!! Yup. That would be NJ. First you need a Firearms ID Card. Then you have to apply for permits for handguns. I've applied for permits multiple times over the years at the local PD. By law they have 30 days to approve/disapprove the permits. I've waited 28 days, 65 days, 45 days. And my local PD, although it may have changed based on complaints, required re-fingerprinting every 3 years. It's seriously ridiculous to the point where you really do have to laugh.
Excerpts from the Wikipedia web page on "Gun Laws in Ohio":

"The Ohio Constitution acknowledges the right to keep and bear arms. Ohio law provides very few additional restrictions on gun ownership and transactions other than the restrictions provided by U.S. federal law."

"It is illegal to consciously fire a firearm while inside of a motor vehicle.[5] "
[Really? what about UN-consciously?]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excerpts from the Wikipedia web page on "Gun Laws in Ohio":

"The Ohio Constitution acknowledges the right to keep and bear arms. Ohio law provides very few additional restrictions on gun ownership and transactions other than the restrictions provided by U.S. federal law."

"It is illegal to consciously fire a firearm while inside of a motor vehicle.[5] "
[Really? what about UN-consciously?]

Here we have a governor who publically stated that the Constitution is above his pay grade. The one he took an oath to uphold.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts