Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've wanted a SP101 for over a decade, and when i found out that now Ruger was making them in blue i was glad i waited. not knocking the stainless but im not they type to want anything flashy. i walked into a local dealer to make a layaway payment on another firearm and like always, decided to look around and saw this on display... new SP101 357 blue for $534! i immediately pulled my wallet back out and waved it in the air like a crazy person while pointing at the revolver with my other hand. just got it home yesterday so have not shot it yet but my questions to you all are:

1) is the Hogue grip worth a look over the factory one? i'v read the trigger guard can pulverize your finger during repeated fire.

2) is it ok to shoot 38 special a lot or just a few times and use 357 mostly?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the blued version, congratulations. I've no experience with the hogue grips, but with the original grips my middle finger does takes a beating with continued shooting.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
The factory grip for my SP101 2.25" was too small for me so I tried a Pachmayr wood, Diamond Pro and Hogue monogrip. The Pachmayr wood looked great but was punishing to my arthritic hands shooting 357. I settled on the Hogue monogrip(3rd from left) for comfort and I get a full grip on the draw which I didn't with the others.
IMG_1628 (3).JPG
IMG_1623.JPG

·
Registered
330 Posts
Very nice. Looks great in the blued finish. They did a nice job on the bluing.

·
Righteous Dude
21,666 Posts
Nice revolver!

Shoot as much 38 special as you want. It's lower power/pressure anyways compared to the magnum.

Enjoy! 😊

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried several Hogue and Herretts grips, but found the Hogue rubber Monogrip to be most comfortable to me. The .38 Spcl., even in +P form, is a wimp load compared to .357 and you could shoot .38 Spcl. in your .357 exclusively and not do any damage. You might need to scrub the chambers good when going back to .357, due to residue from the shorter .38 cartridge case.
SP101 (4).JPG

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I tend to go with stainless steel on my handguns, but that blued steel sp101 of yours is a beauty! And, you certainly don't see one every day. I really like the Hogue monogrip grips and the rubber ones are really comfortable. If you ever feel the need to dress it up for special occasions, the same Hogue grips in wood are really nice also.
IMG_0632.JPG

·
Registered
364 Posts
I shoot 38 special a lot in my 357 revolver. Every once and awhile I'll shoot 357 just to keep it in shape. Just make sure you clean the cylinder really good and just insert some 357 to make sure you don't have a blockage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That Blue is SP is a charmer, and the Hogue really helps index the weapon in the hand and makes 357 very doable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts