Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys can help me out. I am pretty familiar with the 460 S&W cartridge and the X-Frame revolver. I have the 500 already. I have almost bought a 480 Super Blackhawk Bisley on several occasion, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. What can you guys share about your experiences with the 480 cartridge or the 480 Super Blackhawk?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I love my 480 sbh. It is lighter than the X frame, and a fairly mild shooting cartridge. It all depends on your intended use. The 480 is a much slower round than the 460. If you want a long distance hunting handgun, then the 460 will be a much flatter shooting cartridge. The 480 is a good hunting caliber, but if my shots were regularly 100+ yards, I would be looking at the 454 casull or the 460.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't really say id use it for over 100 yards. I am just a big bore junkie. That would only be a need to situation. I don't scope revolvers. If I need a scope, I pick up a rifle. I don't really see much need for a 454 unless I just wanted the single action version over the double (I generally shoot DA in SA anyway). The 460 will shoot 454 and 45 colts. The X-Frame weight helps a lot with recoil. The downside is the weight causes my hand to cramp up after about 35 rounds. Gotta take a break.

How's the recoil of the 480 compared to say, a 44 mag SBH? Is there a good source for brass/bullets you know of? Its just a much lesser talked about (or seen) caliber that has my interest.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Starline sells brass, but it is probably on backorder. I cast my own bullets. So, I am good there. To me, the recoil is different than a 44 magnum or a ruger only 45 colt. It is more of a straight back push, rather than a violent jerk. Since a 480 round rarely breaks the sound barrier, you don’t get that loud crack. I shoot 385 grain bullets at approximately 1100 fps out of my 480, so there is recoil, just not as violent as some of the faster rounds.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those 325gr I looked at were moving 1350fps. Guess it just depends on the ammo.Im thinking I may just bite the bullet and get one, assuming I can find ammo. May wait until I have a good lead on that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am partial to heavier bullets. It is just personal preference. I sometimes shoot 325 grain bullets in my 45 colts. I have friends that have taken bison, moose, large hogs, and a very large black bear with the bullet that I use in 480. My next big bore will be a big frame revolver in 500 jrh. You get the 1/2” bullet without the X frame.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My LGS asked if im looking for anything in particular. I told him a 454 casul or 460. Or an Black hawk 45 colt than can handle 45 ruger t/c loads.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am a fan of the 480 also and shoot it often, I like to throw sledgehammer sized hunks of lead downrange, I prefer a 410gr wide flat nose gc at about 1100fps, I would describe recoil as torque’y if that’s a word? And not snappy like a 44 mag and not as violent as a 454 but still demands respect

·
Registered
411 Posts
I love my Ruger 480 Bisley SBH*. I shoot a 412 gr cast bullet because if you're going to shoot a 480, shoot big lead. Agree with others, recoil is not snappy or harsh. It's also not overpowering and really just hard push. I find that for a big bore it's pretty easy to shoot. I also cannot compare to the S&W as I don't have one and have not shot one.

*(Full disclosure, I love all my BH's)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a fan of the 480 also and shoot it often, I like to throw sledgehammer sized hunks of lead downrange, I prefer a 410gr wide flat nose gc at about 1100fps, I would describe recoil as torque’y if that’s a word? And not snappy like a 44 mag and not as violent as a 454 but still demands respect
Sounds like a mild 500

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I've owned 44mag, 454C, 460S&W and 480Rug revolvers. Perceived recoil in handguns is so dependent of the gun itself that apples to apples comparisons are tough. However, I'll take a stab at it. I'd rate the snappiness of these calibers in this order from most to least: 454, 44, 460, 480. I'd rate the force of the recoil from most to least as: 460, 480, 454, 44. When you combine the two elements I'd rate the overall recoil from from least comfortable to most comfortable as: 454, 44, 460, 480.

My comparison is based on similar sized guns except for the 460S&W. The others are all Ruger Bisleys with 6.5-7" barrels. The 460S&W was a 8 3/8" X-frame DA revolver. If the 460 was the same gun as the other three it would I suspect it move to the front of the line for snappiness and overall recoil. The sheer size of the X-frame really mitigates the violence of 460S&W.

The only one I still have is the Bisley 44mag. I've gotten out of the big bore handgun game. I enjoyed my time there but other firearm interests won out when it came time to clear out some room in my safe. I haven't completely abandoned big bore pistol calibers though. I still shoot 454, 460 and 480 in a couple of Ruger #1 rifle I have chambered for those calibers.

I just realized I never mentioned 45 Colt. I guess that's because it's my favorite caliber and I never really considered it a big bore even though it can do everything a 44mag will do and more. I still have a 'few' 45 Colt pistols and rifles.

If you have an inkling you might like a 480 Ruger I highly recommend you get one. I really liked shooting my Bisley and the gun itself was really well made. I thoroughly enjoyed owning and shooting it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Bonk Appreciate the well written response. Sounds like you enjoy many of the same as myself. I've tried to keep up with pairing a lever gun with my revolvers as well, although, I went with Henry for most of my calibers. However they don't have a 480, 460 or 500 mag. I will have find out if the 480 slated in the future. I spoke with Anthony a while back about the possibility of the 500 mag. He said they have had it in R&D a couple of times but he doesn't think its going to happen. Big Horn makes a 500, 460, 454 and a 475 Linebaugh and some others, but no 480. Besides, I shutter at the price tag on those, they are proud of them. Marlin appears to have dropped everything but the 45-70 in the 1895 (I love that gun). Maybe Ill get luck and Ruger will bring back the Marlin 1895 in 480.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Circling back around. With all the Rona crap causing a flood to the gun market and Ruger not being able to keep up, it helped make the decision to go with the 460. In addition, it made sense in other aspects too. As I said before, I have the 500 and it’s slated to be engraved by Jeff Flannery Gun Engraving in Oct. The 460 I ordered should be identical except the chamber. If he does a good job on the 500 (I have little doubt), I’ll be sending the 460 to be done as a matched set.

I am still interested in the 480 Ruger, just won’t be in the near future unless I come across a deal I can’t refuse.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I've shot a 454 casull but would love to try the 460 and 480 before leaving the world ...

Reactions: Phish

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
@Bonk Big Horn makes a 500, 460, 454 and a 475 Linebaugh and some others, but no 480.
I missed this the first time around but in case you weren't aware you can shoot 480 Ruger in a gun chambered 475 Linebaugh. Same caliber bullet but the Linebaugh case is just slightly longer. It's the same relationship as 38spl/357Mag, 44spl/44Mag and 45Colt/454C/460S&W.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Banned
30 Posts
Personally I. A big 454 fan. I always have had outstanding results when using it for hunting. Brass isn't hard to find, and I usually can find a box of ammo no matter where I find myself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My vote is .480 which follows the .45 Colt philosophy of big bore, low pressure rounds which are highly effective on game and are great reloading options. Had a chance to buy a Ruger Bisley Hunter in .480 and missed it. Ugh!

·
Registered
319 Posts
The .480 is a fantastic cartridge. It is far more practical and deserves to be far more popular than the X-frames. For deer sized game, it can easily get you to 150yds. The factory 325gr is underloaded.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have both Ruger revolvers in 480 Ruger. For me to call the 480r the best tree stand deer handgun I've ever shot would be all-true. The 460 seems versatile but a five pound 45colt sounds silly. The 460, if you can find ammo, recoils like a 3" 12 ga in one hand. Like a hockey slap shot to the palm n wrist. Owww

Experts louder the 480r. Nothing flattens deer at ethical ranges better. But it's not for everybody.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have both Ruger revolvers in 480 Ruger. For me to call the 480r the best tree stand deer handgun I've ever shot would be all-true. The 460 seems versatile but a five pound 45colt sounds silly. The 460, if you can find ammo, recoils like a 3" 12 ga in one hand. Like a hockey slap shot to the palm n wrist. Owww

Experts louder the 480r. Nothing flattens deer at ethical ranges better. But it's not for everybody.
Ive been told the 460 is a bit milder than the 500. I’ve shot the 500 so much that it doesn’t really bother me unless I’m shooting Godzilla killers (think 2500-3k in energy). Even then, it largely depends on the model and grip you use how the recoil is.

My 4” with combat grips recoiled hard with 2200ft lb loads but it was a more direct back into the palm of the hand recoil.

The grips I have on my 8” changes the recoil due to the angle of the grip. It’s not as hard due to the weight but is harder on the wrist and has more muzzle flip. It is more comfortable two handed shooting though. I am hoping the target grips give me the best of both but we’ll see.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts