Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Recently I started reloading for my 38 specials and 357s. I own a LCR, SP101 and GP100 all in the 357 caliber. I'm down to one 9mm semi auto pistol and I never shoot it. Love the revolvers and am happy with the SP and LCR as my CCWs. So I've embraced the 357/38s as my caliber preferences.

I now want to explore 357 rifles/carbines. I honestly don't know what the difference is between a rifle and a carbine? But that's not the reason for this post.

I'm thinking about a Rossi R92. SS or Blued? 20" or 16"? I'm not super handy but I have taken my SP101 and used MCARBO to polish internals and change the springs. I really enjoyed the project! What I read about the Rossi there is a lot to be gained by tinkering with it. If it's not much harder than the work I did on the SP101 then it's something I'd look forward to.

But then there is the Ruger 77 in 357. This looks interesting too. Don't think there is any need to tinker?

I posted this in the Double Action Forum because this is where I currently am in my guns. I wanted to get YOUR opinions as maybe like minded revolver dudes!

Thoughts? OH! I know a lot of you are going to say get both! Haha. I probably will but let's pretend I'll only get one. For sure I can't get both now and it will probably be a 2-3 months until I can purchase one.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I’m not sure where to start here so I will first say I just like guns period so all the choices are fine to me however you described a lever and a bolt so that might be the first decision to make, by the way carbine generally refers’s to a short riffle.
I usually suggest to try on the choices, just like a pair of good boots or blue jeans some will not feel right at all and a few will just feel right from the git go.
I have a Rossi 92 in 45 colt that shoots just great and it is the cheapest of the choices you described, I also love the M77’s but they can be a bit expensive, my shooting buddy has a Henry in .357 that is just outstanding.
Also .357 is a very comfortable round to shoot from a riffle and a good choice I think.
I will stop there and let some real experts advise from here! But whatever you choose be sure to post a pic because I think we all like photographic evidence!

·
Righteous Dude
21,561 Posts
They're both excellent rifles. The Marlin 1894 is also. All 3 are fun rifles and shoot well. I've done minor upgrades to the Ruger and Rossi. The Marlin is pretty good to go.

If it helps, the Ruger was my first, then the Rossi, then the Marlin. A Henry H015-357 will probably eventually join the ranks again (single shot Henry).

I would research and then at least hold one of the models you want and choose from there.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To the OP I can comment on the Rossi Model 92 & a Marlin 1894 I currently have both in .357 Magnum. My Marlin is scoped the Rossi open sights. The Marlin 18 inch barrel Rossi 16 inch. Both rifles function great. I usually shoot the Rossi more for anything out to 50-100 yards it’s very accurate. My Marlin is a older pre cross bolt Model. When Remington bought out Marlin the first few years known as Remlins I don’t think that they were very good!!! Both 1894’s & 336 & 1895’s. The recent Marlins are much better, I wouldn’t be afraid of one of those or any original JM stamped models. The Henry Big Boy Steel & Big Boy Brass are also very nice. Except do not have the traditional side loading gate. The Ruger M77 .357 also a nice rifle. Choice is if you want a Lever Action vs a Bolt Action. I also have .357 revolver’s as well. The Rossi R92 with a 16 inch barrel is a carbine Model. The Henry Lever Action .357’s are heavier than the Marlin & Rossi, I’m sure that any of the Models you have mentioned will serve you very well. Good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're both excellent rifles. The Marlin 1894 is also. All 3 are fun rifles and shoot well. I've done minor upgrades to the Ruger and Rossi. The Marlin is pretty good to go.

If it helps, the Ruger was my first, then the Rossi, then the Marlin. A Henry H015-357 will probably eventually join the ranks again (single shot Henry).

I would research and then at least hold one of the models you want and choose from there.
Thanks, curious what did you do to upgrade the Ruger?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I continue to research I saw a video of taking apart and cleaning the 77. Wow, I loved the simplicity of it!

As I understand it the Bolt will have a little more accuracy and velocity.

The lever more speed for follow-up shots and more ammo capacity.

Like I said before, it's probably not a matter of which one I will ever have just which one first! They both look really cool.

I'm sure I would tinker with both but looks like I would do a lot more to the Rossi, but its cheaper and again might enjoy the project

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a new Rossi 92 20" stainless on the way. This one is stamped " made by cbc"
Fit and finish is excellent and action is smooth . But I will be polishing internals to make it even better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Browning designed Winchester 92, or in this case the
Rossi clone, is one of the most complicated mechanism to
take apart and put back together. The OP may think he's
handy but he should think again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had both a Rossi 92 with a 24 inch octagon barrel and a Marlin 1894 with a 18 inch barrel. I vote the Marlin, fitted with sites from Ranger Point Precision it's been an accurate little rifle and a blast to shoot. Recoil with .38 specials is akin to a .22 and .357's shoot great out of it, minute of milk jug at over 100 yards. It's a new Marlin made 2 years ago. Quality has been great and fit and finish was excellent. I've got no complaints. The Rossi wasn't bad either but personally I prefer the side eject of the Marlin

·
Righteous Dude
21,561 Posts
Thanks, curious what did you do to upgrade the Ruger?
Well, I got mine before Ruger started selling threaded models... So I had mine threaded. The smith, however, didn't move back the sight like I asked, so I put a blank in the rear dovetail. Added a rail up front on the stock as well as a sling. Mounted a 30mm Vortex 1-4x. I also messed with the trigger and bolt a bit to smooth it out. I may shim the bolt at some point.

Ultimately, it's not bad from the factory. I just tinkered here and there.

The Rossi follower replaced with a metal one. I will do a safety delete eventually. Also a good shooter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts