Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined and have gotten a wealth of info already.

I just want to share a story about my Standard. It is a '77. It was teh first handgun my Dad ever shot and the first handgun any of our family members ever shot. It has been in our family for 34 years now. It's the same age as I am. I love this gun and have used it for everything from hunting to plinking and even to teach pistol classes. I recently got a PacLite upper for it and am looking forward to shooting it.

I have of course kept the top end from Ruger especially since it's a family heirloom. I wouldn't have modded it except that my Dad has always been of the mindset that something comes from the factory as good as it can be..... Usually. With cars and such he has always said if it didn't give him more MPG or something practical then he would never do it. This seems like a mod that he would have done. Maybe not the right finish, but I think he would find it sensible. I can always swap it back, too. I understnad there's no reason to worry about collector value on them, either so I can''t wait to clap this thing at the range with the new threads! I gotta admit it isn't the finish I would've chosen either, but it was only $100 from a guy who wanted to unload it.

Thanks to you all for building up such a forum. I'm really looking forward to being here.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

This is a great place for sharin' ideas & information, learnin' new stuff and hanging out with a some very fine folks.

Glad you could join us, ENJOY! :)

·
Banned
56 Posts
The Ruger Standard is a great old gun. Sounds like the upper is an upgrade that won't hurt the value. It's a neat experiment. I have a collection of Standards, Mark Is IIs and IIIs. in different barrel configurations. I love them all. Have fun and let us know how the Upper works out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome alabaster! I learn something every time I log in here. Only had my Mark III for a short time. Great group of folks here for sure!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My very first handgun was a Ruger Standard that I bought in the mid 60's. It was stolen twenty or so years ago, and I still miss it.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Welcome from the hills of Tennessee!

My Standard turned 40 this year, still a shooter! My first handgun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts