Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always had smiths and have eye balled rugers for a long time. I pulled the trigger on a match champion a week ago and fell in love. Then while admiring her I found some pretty bad imperfections. The rear of the frame behind the hammer was cut unevenly, one side was cut more than the other. Also the crane to frame has an uneven gap. I sent it in today hoping that ruger will fix the problem. They kept asking me if it shot ok and Id say yes but I didn't pay 700+ on a revolver for a messed up frame. Any one have these issues?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I blame much of what I read about Ruger firearms on poor & shoddy CS!!! Kinda bad reflection especially on a company & a $700.00 plus cost on the Match Champion Model. A lofty name the revolver should show the craftsmanship! Sorry about your problems hope Ruger will resolve your issues!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope they do too. I hear there customer service is top notch. It should be there Wednesday so I will see what happens. If they cant/won't fix it will they buy it back or something? I love the gun but the thought of bad machining and spending that much on it irks me.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Ruger CS will absolutely take care of you!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
If
So I've always had smiths and have eye balled rugers for a long time. I pulled the trigger on a match champion a week ago and fell in love. Then while admiring her I found some pretty bad imperfections. The rear of the frame behind the hammer was cut unevenly, one side was cut more than the other. Also the crane to frame has an uneven gap. I sent it in today hoping that ruger will fix the problem. They kept asking me if it shot ok and Id say yes but I didn't pay 700+ on a revolver for a messed up frame. Any one have these issues?
Did you get a chance to look at the revolver before you bought it? Or was it a mail order purchase?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If

Did you get a chance to look at the revolver before you bought it? Or was it a mail order purchase?
+1.

1. Even if it is a purchase shipped to a local FFL, you don't accept the transfer until you've inspected it thoroughly.

2. Ruger is known for outstanding customer service.

3. Who buys a Ruger GP100 for "craftsmanship?" Ruger builds their firearms using computerized highly automated machinery. That's why a GP100 costs $700 and not $1,500.

I feel bad for anyone who gets a gun with issues, but Ruger will make it right at no cost to the owner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did spend a while looking it over but missed those two things. I was more focused pikong between the Novak or fully adjustable rear sights.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
+1.

1. Even if it is a purchase shipped to a local FFL, you don't accept the transfer until you've inspected it thoroughly.
Guns are not usually shipped on approval. You own it, and the receiving FFL is not agreeing to be put in the middle of the transaction beyond record keeping.

2. Ruger is known for outstanding customer service.

3. Who buys a Ruger GP100 for "craftsmanship?" Ruger builds their firearms using computerized highly automated machinery. That's why a GP100 costs $700 and not $1,500.<snip>
I absolutely bought my Match Champion for craftsmanship. I bought it directly from Ruger in a trade for a Service Six they couldn't/wouldn't fix. It immediately had to go back for another cylinder. So I have over $1000 in that gun, counting the write-off trade, and expect it to look like the top-of-the-line gun that it is. It shoots well, feels good, looks nice, and I am one who likes the stock wooden grip. What really sold me was the half lug and the rounded edges, giving it a custom look and smooth holstering.

When presented with the trade on the Service Six, I had to pick something I didn't already have and which I thought I might like, and the Match Champion was already on my radar, but not until after they came out with the adjustable sights version.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Who buys "Any" Ruger for craftsmanship..........After shelling out over $700.00 for one if I were to buy one! I would expect to see some craftsmanship! Not rough edges or uneven space's the way a gun is fitted together etc. the name it's self should lead to better fitting etc. I guess that's why my last Ruger I bought I must have lucked out with no problems. You have to be very fussy at least I am so not to have problems!!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I blame much of what I read about Ruger firearms on poor & shoddy CS!!!
I'm going to say you either had an experience with Ruger's Customer Service where you had unrealistic expectations OR you meant to say QC for Quality Control instead of CS.

Customer Service isn't the group that lets improperly machined revolvers leave the factory - it's Quality Control that misses the boat. I won't say that Ruger's QC is sub-par, as there are a lot of manufacturers the same rate of CS issues.

But I will say for certain, unless you're making unreasonable requests, Ruger's Customer Service is second to none.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ruger's CS is so good because they get so much practice. The CS folks need to go down to the QC folks and kick them in the behind.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok then CS & QC it seems to me that Rugers lack of QC is giving a lot of business to Rugers CS. I mean Rugers lack of Quality Control! I had the personal experience to look at two Ruger GP100 WC models. One Stainless & one Blued well the Stainless unit when I tried to manually cock the hammer just to work the action so to speak right at Sportsmans Warehouse gun counter. The action was binding up on this particular handgun!!! Now priced at $780.00 well what kind of "QC" was that! Now the blued WC was extremely nice. So maybe some of the obvious problems are the lack of a sharper eye with purchasing a Ruger GP100 or any other model I guess. Not trying to flame anyone here but you really have to look todays mass produced firearms very very carefully as to pickup any problems I guess. Even though it might still be possible to get some of the issues come out after you shoot a handgun. So my feelings is exactly just what Smoky44's last statement is but maybe more then just kick someone's behind!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its not just ruger. Ive always had smiths and while i do believe they are more refined they also let some slip through qc. I had a 800 dollar smith that the cylinder was cut just a tad bit out of round and you would only notice if you spun the cylinder. Tracking sais it will get there wednesday,

what do you guys believe they will do? Re cut the frame to make it symmetrical, replace with a new frame or tell me I'm crazy and its fine.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I fell for the Match Champion hype too! I have several 70's and 80's vintage Security-sixes that are much better, smoother, and slicker sixguns. I unloaded the MC a few weeks ago and don't regret it one bit! Poor workmanship all the way around I might add!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I guess this problem comes with any mass produced firearms, not only Ruger. But you just feel bad when you hear about problems. I guess that's when I dig my S&W Mod. 66 no dash revolver out & shoot it this gun was made in the 70's just has so much quality with it is the reason I hang on to it. The statement that was made who buys a Ruger GP100 for Chraftmanship well my answer to that statement is if there isn't any Chraftsmanship built into a Ruger then I will not buy it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Its not just ruger. Ive always had smiths and while i do believe they are more refined they also let some slip through qc. I had a 800 dollar smith that the cylinder was cut just a tad bit out of round and you would only notice if you spun the cylinder. Tracking sais it will get there wednesday,

what do you guys believe they will do? Re cut the frame to make it symmetrical, replace with a new frame or tell me I'm crazy and its fine.
Mine (Not MC) is in to Ruger for the same thing at about the exact same time , but also with accuracy issues. After shooting a fellow shooters 12 year old Blue GP100 at the range today , that's exactly where it needs to be !
I can assure You they will take care of you one way or another.
I flat out asked them if cutting the crane to frame gap even will make for a Revolver wearing excessively as there will be more clearance.
Mine also had a bit looser lockup at the crane than several GP100's at the LGS checked , and the one at the range I shot today also.
If Your had good accuracy with yours be happy with that at least. Mine didn't , and that was eventually the deciding facto for RMA return. Ruger has excellent CS and simply addressing your concerns and asking for all questions to be answered will get you a VERY long way with them. Just wait and see. I guarantee they wont say anything about being crazy.....lol.
I'm watching this thread closely.

On a more personal note ....if it shot accurate , and locked up tight ......I would have just lived with the uneven crane Gap , grumbled a Bit..... and shot the snot out of it !

BTW....Post a Pic as I'm sure several people will take an interest in this thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I fell for the Match Champion hype too! I have several 70's and 80's vintage Security-sixes that are much better, smoother, and slicker sixguns. I unloaded the MC a few weeks ago and don't regret it one bit! Poor workmanship all the way around I might add!
I noticed the same overall QC issues on the MC and wasn't a bit happy and passed passed right over them. Couple I looked at looked like factory 2nd's or something.
Also was peeved when my local dealer got in a blue 6" GP100 and the bluing just plain sucked in several very obvious spots and I passed on that one too.

If Ruger doesn't get it right with mine , I will be ditching this one and just be more patient for a better copy to come along...New or Used.
Who wants to live with a revolver they just aren't happy with for any reason....not me.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I have to say that I do very much regret getting rid of my Blued Ruger Security Six several years ago it was really a very nice and very accurate revolver mine was a 6 inch. I would really like to find a older nice GP100 or a Security Six again. I feel that one of Rugers mistakes was to stop making the Security Six such a fine gun!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts