Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work With Me On All Caps...i'm Lazy Typist...i Ordered And Received My New Blackened Sr9..ser.no.range 11xxx Range.. I Had Followed All Posts And Had Almost Changed My Mind But Then I Remembered That Not Everyone Is Always Objective And I Try To Be, But I Only Tell It Like It Is And My Wife Would Never Ask If Her Butt Looks Too Big Because I Would Tell The Truth! Anyway, I Opened Box And 1st Looked It Test-fire Date To See If It Was Around The Magic 12/19/08 Date Of Mag Changes And It Was Dated 12/19/08..next Looked At Mags, They Were The New Ones..next I Took Apart And Removed The Mag Safety And Only Then Did I Ever Pull The Trigger...not Bad, Not Great Crisp 1911 Type Trigger , But Ok And I'm Sure It Will Get Better...looked All Over Gun, Sights Were Centered, No Real Blems Except For One Pin When Put In, "gunsmith At Ruger" Whacked The Edge Of The Plastic Frame Just A Tiny Tiny Ding, Overall Ok Considering Price..i Paid $20 Dollars Over Cost And Tax...i Loaded 1st Mag Full With 17 Different Rounds From 147 Sub Sonic To 115 +p+ And All In Between And Had No Problems..threw Lock And Mag Loader Away, As I Hate Both Of Them...now For The Range Part..i Fired My First Mag Full At Sight In Target At 7 Yds, And After A Mixed Bag Of Recoil And Bangs, You Could Cover The Single Hole With A Silver Dollar...not Bad I Thought And The Rest Of My 80 Or So Rounds Was A Piece Of Cake..so, What Do I Think..well, It Shoots To Point Of Aim Out Of Box At 7 & 10 Yards, Trigger Will Only Get Better, Fit And Finish On My Gun Was Okay And Imho, The Black Ones Look So Much Better Than The Others..at This Point In Time, I Cannot Say Its A Glock Or Sig Or Hk Beater, Too New A Product For That, But It Is A Viable Option For Someone That Wants A Striker Fired, High Cap Pistol At A Fair Price, And I Do Think It Is Far Better Than Sigmas, Taurus 24/7 And I Like It Better Than The Xd, And Its Made In The Good Old Usa, And Will Only Get Better As Mine Is Already Better Than Some Of Yours That You Have Wrote About Here And Its Only Been In Production For A Short Time...so, On A Scale Of One To Ten, It Gets About 8 Overall And A Ten For A Value Of A High Cap Nine..and, I Can't Wait For A Compact 9 And A Sr45..i Think Next On My Ruger List Is A Sp101 In .327 Fed..

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Thanks for the Report. Thats what I like to see. People that are not obligated to give a good report can give a good honest report on how they function. That means more to me than a Gun Review by a Magazine. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can you point me to information on the mag changes 12/19? I've been looking at sr9's now that they discontinued most of the P89 and P95's. This was the first I had heard about a specific date to look for. I'm trying to decide if I should get an 89/95, get a sr9, or wait for 6-12 months until the sr9 bugs are out.

Thanks for any information.

I was referred to this forum from the Guns and Ammo Mag shooting forums.

·
Super Moderator
21,477 Posts
That is consistent with other reports I have read on the SR9. Mostly all very good to excellent. I read a G&A report on in for a 12,000 round test and they had one hicuup that they attributed to gloves they were wearing that got caught in the action (?) in the cold weather.

The SR9 is definitely at or next to the top of the gotta have list. Next spring ought to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Too bad the folks who bought the first ones are stuck with crap, huh? Special tool to load mags .... scarce supply of first issued mags .... Ruger should recall everything prior to 12/19 and make folks happy. All the Mickey Mouse resolutions seem to be to save them money - screw the consumer. Those 'automatic gun makin' machines' they brag about must be real winners!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mag change

Can you point me to information on the mag changes 12/19? I've been looking at sr9's now that they discontinued most of the P89 and P95's. This was the first I had heard about a specific date to look for. I'm trying to decide if I should get an 89/95, get a sr9, or wait for 6-12 months until the sr9 bugs are out.

Thanks for any information.

I was referred to this forum from the Guns and Ammo Mag shooting forums.
old mags have a cut on side and larger square cut with a rounded edge on one side and this cut on on front of mag...new mags have a narrower vertical cut on front of mag and none on edge..old mags work on newest guns, new mags won't work on older guns...only downside to this gun is the spare mags are expensive, wholesale cost is about $26 and retail is $42..I don't know what the spread is for the 12/19 date, but thats when my new blackened one was test fired and it had new parts it...someone else said his gun in the 11xxx ser no range had old mags, mine in middle 11xxx range had new ones so that may help also...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should get an 89/95, get a sr9, or wait for 6-12 months until the sr9 bugs are out.
I would get a KP89 or KP95 right now, I am a little short on patience when it comes to guns, and then later on get a SR9, then you would have the best of both worlds. You will own more than one gun.....

If you haven't all ready drop over to the New Members Forum and introduce yourself and receive many warm welcomes, glad to have you here, enjoy.
peace

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have one of the early SR9's, my only complaint was that the mags were hard to load. After 800 rounds and leaving them fully loaded, I have no trouble loading them now, and being almost 67 with arthritis in both wrists and hands, thats saying something.
I'm very happy with mine, goes well with my P90, P95, P345 and 2 GP100's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
old mags have a cut on side and larger square cut with a rounded edge on one side and this cut on on front of mag...new mags have a narrower vertical cut on front of mag and none on edge..old mags work on newest guns, new mags won't work on older guns...only downside to this gun is the spare mags are expensive, wholesale cost is about $26 and retail is $42..I don't know what the spread is for the 12/19 date, but thats when my new blackened one was test fired and it had new parts it...someone else said his gun in the 11xxx ser no range had old mags, mine in middle 11xxx range had new ones so that may help also...
I found a couple of other threads where they discussed the 12/19 date. The mags changed around that time, and there were some with pitting on the cam block. So if I get an SR9, I'll try to check the box for the test fire date, and the serial number, to see when it left the factory.

So far, I'm still set on a 9mm, but not yet decided on P89/P95/SR9. Time to visit the LSG and see what they have. There is a gun show also coming up, so I'mm see what they have also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sr9

I have one of the first SR9s, date on the fired cartridge envelope is 10/22/07. I have had no malfunctions after 600 rounds other than the mags were hard to load after 12 rounds or so. Its a lot better now than it was at first.
Living in an anti gun state (IL) it says I can only have 10 round mags in my town.
(Damn Clinton) anyway.
I really Don't know why all you Ruger fans think this new gun is crap just because it isn't a P model. I tried a P94 a few times and didn't like it, hard to clean and it felt like holding a brick. I will get off my soap box now!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
pakettle,
that brick like feeling is just what some of us thinks a real gun feels like. The SR9 is also a great feeling gun.

Some times I feel like a brick, sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I really Don't know why all you Ruger fans think this new gun is crap just because it isn't a P model. I tried a P94 a few times and didn't like it, hard to clean and it felt like holding a brick. I will get off my soap box now!
I'm all for new designs being introduced. The "sr" has a lot going for it----consistant trigger stroke, stream-lined, light weight, adj sights, 17 rd capacity, accessory rail, and reasonable costs.

But i am also concerned about quality control from ruger---and not just in the "sr" series but across the entire production line. I "feel" safer with the "p" series as i have more faith in the q/c with those "p" series built in years past. The "sr" is a step in the right direction and propells ruger into the current mainstream of demand. But as with any new product that is introduced, i like to wait a bit and see if all the little nagging bugs get worked out--such as the change in the magazine line that has already occoured with the "sr".

In a year or two i just might own one--but not yet. I've been reading about some other possible issues with the weapon that i won't go into here as i don't know if they are design issues or QC issues----time will tell. In the mean time, i have more faith in the older "p" series market.

But thats just me. I'm sure 99 out of every 100 "sr" pistols sold are solid good performers. But murphy's law follows me around and i would be the one to get that one stinker. And money is tight!!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sr9 Pics

I am not quite so advanced...I have blackberry with no camera & actually I dont have a camera that works in my home...Black SR9's pics on Rugers website...ruger.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts