Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my RPR in 6.5C put together for a few days now. It took a week to get the high mounts for my scope.
I shot a box of Hornady 140 gr and Winchester Match 140 gr and groups were consistently just under an inch. Not as good as I was hoping for, but I was shooting off the bipod because I didn't have the right configuration of bags with me to hold the rifle steady.
This was my best at that session.

Yesterday I went out again with a smaller front rest and a larger rear rest. I had one box of the Winchester. The shop was out of Hornady, but I've got everything I need to start reloading for it as soon as I turn out some more 38 Super.
The rifle was steadier. Steady enough that I could feel the creep in the 2.6 lb trigger, which otherwise felt fine dry firing it. My groups shrank by 1/4", but that elusive three shot one-holer eluded me. Always the third shot that was the flyer, so it was probably me. But lets face it, the RPR isn't exactly a BR rifle. And I'm wondering if the bipod hanging off the fore end affected the barrel harmonics... but aren't the barrels supposed to be free floated?

So overall I'm very happy with it. The barrel gets warm, but the groups stay tight enough for gov't work. And I'm hoping with reloads I can squeeze another 1/4" out of my groups. Maybe start shooting cloverleaf's.

Some pics of my setup.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Very cool setup and thanks for the excellent range report. This was at 100 yards?

So it looks like it still takes practice and skill to shoot the RPR well, just like any other rifle. That's OK - that's the fun of it.

Still waiting on the RPR here......

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, 100 yds, Waveform.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Ruger has a pretty decent video on breaking the rifle down. I've had the bolt apart already, just to try out that tool in the bolt shroud, and am going to look into the trigger assembly today.
Ruger Videos

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does your safety switch jiggle around ? I just got my RPR in 308 and I'm not impressed not much precision used in making this rifle even my hand guard is crooked right from the factory

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your safety switch jiggle around ? I just got my RPR in 308 and I'm not impressed not much precision used in making this rifle even my hand guard is crooked right from the factory
Yes, there's a little jiggle in the thumb switch. It's the first I've noticed it. I never gave it much thought. It jiggles both on and off. Maybe it's a loose fit because it's reversible?
Hand guard is good.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I shot that group at 100 yards I would not complain in the least.
I prefer something more like this.

Unfortunately I am starting from scratch trying to work up a load. I had to have the bolt replaced due to some bad Winchester primers.
Ruger, as always, came through with flying colors and had my rifle back to me in a week.
Winchester is supposed to be picking up the bill, plus sending me 2700 new primers.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starting to shoot off the bipod.

Getting a little better with my technique. Wishing I had a two-stage trigger though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you find yourself limited by the Sightron optics?

mbogo
I have the .308 RPR and started with a Vortex PST 4-16x50FFP. It was ok but switched to SightronSIII 6-24x50FFP and love it. Only wish it had a zero stop like the Vortex. Everything on my rifle feels tight, early production run I'm guessin'.
This rifle loves BLK Hill 168gr. sub-MOA. However this picture I think I was shooting Fed Gold Match 175gr. 5 shot groups with operator error as you can see
Love this rifle

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm confident I'll get rid of the flyer with a little more bipod time. I'm used to shooting off rests, practically free recoil. But this is what I bought the RPR for.

I'm thinking about a .308 bolt and was just thinking today that there is no reason not to stick with the RPR.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I switched from Vortex PST to Steiner Military and even thou I only have 3-12x 50mm it is awesome ! Glass is super clear and my night shots have definitely improved ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1447898181.718488.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts