Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the mix-up, I posted this once and thought it was in the wrong section so I closed it. Then I realized it was in the correct section so I reposted. Sorry for the mix-up

I have always Loved Ruger but never liked the loaded chamber indicator on their polymer guns. I do know you can get a SR series with out that now but I already had an M&P 9mm so I just never bought it. I noticed Ruger put this new American series out a couple days ago. I watch some YouTube videos on it and decided that I was going to trade my M&P in for the American.
Went to the LGS today and did exactly that. I did not see them on the shelf so I asked the owner if he had gotten any and he said that he was so busy that he had not put them on the shelf yet. He unboxed the 4 that he received and gave me one of the boxes that was a 9mm. I ended up bringing it home and he kept the M&P.
Very happy with it. I will get it to the range tomorrow. I like that it comes with three back straps just like the M&P. No Manual Safety and Novak style sights. All Stainless. Great feel in my hand and good overall fit. Only thing that does bother me a little bit is the magazine release. It is a little more proud than the M&P series and I can feel it between my trigger finger and middle finger while my finger is on the trigger. I don't see it as a problem but you know it is there. I put my Streamlight TLR2-HL on it and it fits better than it did on the M&P. So far very happy with it and I have no doubt that it will preform flawless on the range. One more comment about it that they took from SIG, you do not have to strike out or use a lever to disassemble. Lock slide back swing the take down lever and the slide comes right off. Easier than a Glock actually.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations! They do look good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice. I looked at the 9 mm this morning, when I went back this afternoon they had the 45 out as well. Now I'm conflicted. Wife says I can get one, not both.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I personally can't wait to get my hands on one to feel how they fit my hands. They definitely look a lot nicer than the SR series, I was never a fan of them.

I think Ruger has hit the right market with this.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guy's I never liked the Ruger Poly guns for couple of reasons. I hated
1. Loaded Chamber Indicator (So I refused to buy them)
2. Magazine Disconnect (I always take them off)

On this gun I like the back straps (I use the small, I have small hands) I like the rail on this gun and the fact that it has no safeties (Manual that is)
I also really like the quick and very easy disassembly. I think that Ruger took the Good from all the companies and incorporated it with this gun. Is it ground breaking, NO. But has every thing that you can not get in one gun (Now in you can in this gun)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since I have an M&P full size 9mm that I am not crazy about, I will be interested to see how it compares. Please give us a comparison to the M&P after you get a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Congrats very nice! Thanks for pics. Looking forward to range report.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I got a chance to fondle one at my LGS today. It felt pretty good in the hand except the front checkering on the grip was a little too aggressive for me but not a deal breaker.

I didn't get to shoot it but in dry firing it I thought the trigger was great. Very short, crisp and light. For an out of the box trigger it is one of the best compared to other striker fired pistols like Glock, M&Ps, Springfield etc. I have a 9E and had an SR9c and really liked those triggers. The Ruger American trigger is far superior to the SR line.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guy's,
I did take it out and shot one magazine through it at 15 yards. Shot well and did not notice anything different to the M&P. I enjoyed it for that only magazine but only had 3/4 of a box of ammo and wanted to fill both magazines up to keep it loaded. At 17 rounds a magazine that will go through a box quick. I would have bought more but I have a shotgun to pay for on the 8th so I had to save my money. I am glad to have another Ruger, every hand gun I own is a Ruger now except for my Kel-Tec PF9. 7 revolvers and 2 pistols are Ruger's. Now if they only made lever action cowboy style guns. That would be great, but I still have my Marlins.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks guy's,
I did take it out and shot one magazine through it at 15 yards. Shot well and did not notice anything different to the M&P. I enjoyed it for that only magazine but only had 3/4 of a box of ammo and wanted to fill both magazines up to keep it loaded. At 17 rounds a magazine that will go through a box quick. I would have bought more but I have a shotgun to pay for on the 8th so I had to save my money. I am glad to have another Ruger, every hand gun I own is a Ruger now except for my Kel-Tec PF9. 7 revolvers and 2 pistols are Ruger's. Now if they only made lever action cowboy style guns. That would be great, but I still have my Marlins.
any problems with the way the grips are, there is another thread with a video of a guy complaining that the back of the gun hits his thumb knuckle and hurts...showed his camera man doing it and it took off some skin...they were using the large grip....I am getting the .45 tomorrow but its in Tennessee so I have to have it shipped to my shop here in Georgia so I am looking at Tuesday or Wednesday before I can take it home....good thing I live in the boonies in the mountains so I will be able to se what it does when I get it home......check out the video on the other thread and let us know what ya think.......I don't take everything a person says about guns on YouTube although I do put some faith in what Hickok45 says in his reviews.......Gun does look sweet

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
There are numerous videos up of people shooting the new American pistol and the guys on the MAC are the only ones I have heard complaining about that problem.

One of the reasons I take anything I see on the web with a grain of doubt. I would rather make up my own mind.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are numerous videos up of people shooting the new American pistol and the guys on the MAC are the only ones I have heard complaining about that problem.

One of the reasons I take anything I see on the web with a grain of doubt. I would rather make up my own mind.

Well I just got back from Buds in Tennessee bought the .45 ACP for $449.00....will be at my local FFL Wednesday at the latest....I like the feel....wife liked the feel....gun looks nice......comes with Certificate saying its one of the first 10,000 produced .....mine was under 4000 of the 10,000

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tumbleweed, just got done watching that video. After watching and not feeling that on mine when I shot it, I had to go and feel mine. I can see what they are saying, but I do not have that problem. I have the small grip on mine (Small hands) and being a old Revolver shooter I always lock my thumb down which pulls my knuckle down away just a little bit so it does not hit me knuckle.
The only thing that I agree about that video is that the rear sight should have a shelf so it can be racked one handed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was a rental one available at my local shop, I gave it a try. Ran 50 rounds of 115g federal through it.

I have no idea what size grip was installed.. but I echo the sentiment about my thumb knuckle hurting quite a lot by the time I was through with that box.

Recoil was fine, trigger was OKAY.. I was getting better groups the further I got.

I may take another crack at it if I can ensure the small grips are on it, but in the meantime I decided to pick up a Ruger SR9. I already knew I would like it from experience shooting an SR9c and SR40 which was very comfortable.

I'm pretty wary of buying new designs.. there always seems to be a recall and some design changes that happen in the first few years.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts