Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I picked up my new Blackhawk flattop convertible from the LGS. It has quickly become my second favorite gun (my very first gun, a 10/22, will always be my favorite).

I'd been trying to decide on a new handgun for some time, but just didn't know what I wanted. I was interested in a revolver, but I didn't want to pay for revolver ammo. I was interested in a 9mm pistol, but I didn't want it to be boring. Awhile back there were some specials on the convertibles floating around the interwebs. When it dawned on me that a single action revolver would not need moon clips to shoot 9mm, I drove right over to the LGS and ordered my Blackhawk.

I'm glad I did. I've been really enjoying this gun. It's made well, is fun to shoot, and for my purposes is plenty accurate with 9mm.

Only problem now? One is not enough!

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't shoot groups, so I can't give any measurements. My understanding is that most folks who do find that 9mm is not as accurate as .357/.38. For my purposes, though, I have not noticed any practical difference. I shoot steel at 25 and 50 yards. I put clay pigeons on the 25 yard fence. Sometimes I reach out and shoot at the steel at 100 yards. Both 9mm and .38 special seem to work the same for me.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Congrats. Glad your enjoying it.

And the Ruger SA Blackhawks are kinda addictive. I think we shoot the single six convertable the most. Everyone in the family loves it. With 22 mag, that thing is lethal accurate at over 150 yards. The gals love the 22 lr and the fact they can ring the 50 yard line no problem.. Ive seen them spend all afternoon, visiting, shooting, etc, and burn a 500 round brick. It creates a very enjoyable and cheap family day at the range.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What?! No pictures of your second favourite gun ditto?! :eek:

DCD, I had a 6.5" New model single six and really enjoyed that revolver too. :)

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Halifax, sadly, Photo Bucket and I just don't get along. :(

roadtoad, as for .44 magnum, yes, it sure is tempting. Meanwhile, the convertible BH I bought does also come in .45 Colt/.45 acp. ....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
ditto, Don't be afraid to reach out past 100 yds. That Ruger will do it just hold up a bit of front sight above the rear sight perch your target on top & press the trigger. You might be surprised just how far you can make hits.... Anyway it's fun shooting at things a long way off.
Good shooting.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just shot some 9mm through my NMB. The accuracy was more than good enough for paper and will be surely decimate bottles and produce more than a 22. I can't see me ever going to the range without it a cheap box of 9mm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts