Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20-year old asked me earlier this week how much it would cost to have a trip to the range, his subtle way of telling me, "dad, can you bring me to the range?"
He's never handled a loaded gun before. So, i offered to take him. Today's my scheduled time off from work and so went this morning.
It's also my SR9C's 2nd trip since i just recently bought it.
I put 5 rounds before i let my son shoot. He was about on his 60th round when the SR9C had its first FTE. I maybe wrong but i attributed it to the ammo.
My first trip, i put 50 rds of 124 grain blazer brass. This time, we used 100 rds of 115 grain Winchester from Walmart.
All in all, my son shot 85 rounds and i put 15. My first impression was he's a natural, hitting center, making adjustments high or low, and pretty much grouped his shots better than I did.
I'm sure it helped that before we left for the range, we watched a few videos, asked him to dry fire and practice his grip and stance.
He's still in jr. college and has a part-time job. I see in our immediate future sharing the cost of paying for his first gun.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Glad to hear your father/son range time went well. I'm sure he's hooked now.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Good post
Sounds like you did a little bonding as well.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
It's good to hear stories like yours ;)

Sounds like you have a shootin' partner in the making, good deal!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
"sharing the cost of paying for his first gun"

Congrats, I believe there are quite a few folks that wish they would have to help their son buy a gun instead of a number of other not so good things like bail, money on jail books etc.

Sounds like y'all had a good day

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Might be a good 21st birthday present.:D As in legal ownership age in some states.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words!
My son thought he had fun, not knowing that i had twice as much enjoyment having him share with my new hobby. And yes, great idea for a 21st birthday present!

·
Rifleman
1,630 Posts
Good to hear. We need more of that kinda thing to keep gun ownership alive and well.

When I was younger(late 60s), it was nothing to take my trusty Marlin .22 carbine out frequently and squirrel hunt, plink, target practice, whatever, out in the woods between developments and such. Later on the same with my first Mini 14s and ARs in the late 70s and 80s. Just pull off at a pipeline, powerline, FS roads, vacant lot and not near housing, etc. I'm lucky living up here in the mtns now(80% of the county is US Forest service wilderness lands). But thats the exception. Its pretty much impossible in most areas to do such anymore. Sprawl has filled in all the old wooded areas now anywhere near more heavily populated areas. And, lets face it, guns are really frowned upon by many because of the media machine, gun control advocates, etc. People freak out now if they even hear one way off in the distance. I fear we're 1 generation away from REAL gun control efforts. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear. We need more of that kinda thing to keep gun ownership alive and well... Its pretty much impossible in most areas to do such anymore. Sprawl has filled in all the old wooded areas now anywhere near more heavily populated areas. And, lets face it, guns are really frowned upon by many because of the media machine, gun control advocates, etc. People freak out now if they even hear one way off in the distance. I fear we're 1 generation away from REAL gun control efforts. I hope I'm wrong.
My son shares my idea on gun control and i try to educate him more. We also received good insights from the friendly person in-charge at the range.
Plinking's something that i'd love to do freely and i'm still looking for a place here In CA.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Glad to see father and son sharing a hobby. With my dad it was pool. At 87 he shakes too bad to shoot anymore. We play a lot more cribbage these days. Enjoy your time together.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Thats great! I away have a great time when I go with my son to the range. He is 29 years old and he still wants to know when we are going to the range again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i took my daughter for the first time last week, she turned 8 yest, lol

my 4 y.o. is itchin to go...........no just yet, lol

congrats on a great time.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I treasure times like that out with my son.

Over the weekend we had a family reunion. My son and I got to teach 4 young ones how to safely aim and shoot an air rifle. That was outstanding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts