Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Hogue grips on it, not too crazy about the look or the bulk, or the fit, but they sure tame my SP101 and GP100 so I have high hopes.

This nifty revolver sure has grown on me fast. Seems like the ideal size, six rounds over the SP's five, and barely larger. But it is significantly heavier. Haven't found a holster for it yet.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Very Nice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Very nice. I like it a lot.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I love the Speed-Six, Service-Six guns. They are excellent revolvers.

The 2 3/4" Speed-Six is in the same class as the 3" S&W K-frames and it is an outstanding concept in a combat gun. Full size but concealable round butt grip, 6 round cylinder, decent sight radius but easier to pack than a 4" gun.

I put Pachmayr Grippers on my full size Service-Six's but the Compac's are a bit more suited for the round butt Speed-Six. I also tend to favor the old Tyler T-grip adaptor on the round butt frames.

Back in the 1980's you could always find used Ruger Six series revolvers in a gun store display case and they were always less expensive than the S&W guns. It was a bit of a secret that the Rugers were better values than the Smith's back in those days. Then the secret got out and the Six's got harder to find.

The Speed-Six is an outstanding concept!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I put Hogue grips on it, not too crazy about the look or the bulk, or the fit, but they sure tame my SP101 and GP100 so I have high hopes.

This nifty revolver sure has grown on me fast. Seems like the ideal size, six rounds over the SP's five, and barely larger. But it is significantly heavier. Haven't found a holster for it yet.
Nice!:)

Holsters:
I've found that my Speed Six fits well in some holsters made for 2.5" "K" frame S&W revolvers (Model 19, 66, etc.). Two that come to mind are Bianchi's Model 5BHL (outside the waistband) and Model 100 (IWB).

Grip wise:
I had Pachmayr Professional round butt grips on it:

Those have been replaced with some Herrett's Shooting Stars (these turn up on auction sites) that I trimmed down a bit:

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Nice looking guns and grips.

I left the small wood ones on; but, then 9mm doesn't recoil so bad in it.

I would want a bigger grip for .357.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those wood grips look nice!

The LGS had a Galco that works great. I don't usually go for belt-threaded holsters because I don't wear it during all waking (and dressed) hours, but this thing is comfortable. It even holds the SP101 with enough retention.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shot another 50 rounds of .38 and 50 of .357 today. Then I went home, cleaned the Six, and put the wood grips back on. Shooting .357 isn't horrible, but I think I'll stick to .38+P in this gun, and save the .357 for my GP100 and S&W 28-2.

The Hogue grip doesn't fit all that well so it pinches slightly where the backstrap fails to fit with the frame. So if I'm going to stick with .38 I'd rather have the original wood grips on it.

It doesn't seem to like getting dirty. The action gums up a little but if I just pull harder on the trigger it still goes bang.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I wish Ruger would reintroduce the Security Six series back into their line up! It fits nicely between the GP-100 and the SP-101. I own all three pistols, the GP-100 is a monster and the sp-101 is a 5 shot, so the is an opening for a nice 6 shot medium sized firearm. And if you have ever tried to buy a used Security Six, you will be surprised at the way they have held their value.
I put a set of Hogue Wood grips on my Security Six, they look and fit great and make the gun a pleasure to shoot!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm getting better with this Speed Six, tightening up slowly. It took several range trips to get good tight groups with my SP101 so I'm being patient. This target was 5-10 yards.

I've found that the cylinder binds up a bit on two chambers, one more than the other. It takes a lot more trigger force in DA to bring the hammer back. Anyone had this happen? What should I look for?

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm getting better with this Speed Six, tightening up slowly. It took several range trips to get good tight groups with my SP101 so I'm being patient. This target was 5-10 yards.

I've found that the cylinder binds up a bit on two chambers, one more than the other. It takes a lot more trigger force in DA to bring the hammer back. Anyone had this happen? What should I look for?
Nice shooting:)

Some thoughts in regards to the binding:
Check for excessive powder, lead, cooper fouling on the cylinder face and barrel
Check under the extractor "star" for any unburnt powder or other debris.
Check to see if the ejector rod has unscrewed.
Check that the screw below the cylinder latch is tightened all the way in.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
When my service six starts to bind its always the ejector rod on mine, my wife and I will each take one and mine loosens

·
Registered
70 Posts

I carry mind in a DeSantis thumb break scabbard. The belt loops on the Galco I had seemed too low, allowing the grip of the gun to fall away from my body and move around. The DeSantis holds it tight to the body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts