Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my SR1911 for maybe a couple of months now and it is going to be going for it's second trip back shortly for the same issue. I sure cannot figure out what is wrong.

The guns feeds and shoots FMJ rounds just fine. So far I have shot Blazer Brass 230gr and Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ out of it with rarely any issues at all. The problems comes with JHP though. I have shot Freedom Munitions 230gr JHP and now Remington UMC 230gr JHP and these both jam it up good! I really have to reef on the slide to get it to pull back. If I take out the barrel and do a plunk test, the back of the brass case is above the top of the hood of the barrel and generally does not just fall back out.. If I do this with my FMJ rounds, the back of the case is even with the hood and will just fall back out. If I look real close at the bullets of the JHP, I can see where the rifling of the barrel has hit the bullet a fair amount above the case. I have one of the Remington rounds that I have tried to re chamber several times. It started out at 1.1395" OAL and after several attempts to re chamber, it is now at 1.2090" OAL.

I really hate to send the gun back again, but I have no choice I don't think. Most people I read of no problems with most any ammo fed into the SR1911. I hope it comes back right this time.

If any of you have any suggestions, I would sure like to hear them!!

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
998 Posts
My full size SR1911 had to go back for a total replacement for serious machining defects. The replacement they sent was just as bad, if not worse! I ended up getting a full credit for it and applied it toward the purchase of a Springfield Loaded Operator which was far more expensive, but has been 100% flawless. The 1911 is my favorite semi auto platform and Ruger is my favorite overall manufacturer but the SR1911 was such a huge let down for me! I'm now reluctant to purchase a commander size SR because of this. If, after 2 trips home, they can't get yours to 100%, perhaps you should look into a refund or store credit, if at all possible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am thinking about getting the commander as my dealer has a brand new one for 619.00. I think I will wait and see how things go for you first though, I am sorry to here this is the 2nd time you had to send it in. I hope you get a good turn around time and it is fixed right this time!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like an ammo problem and not a gun problem.

What's the OAL difference between the HP's and the ball ammo.

As far as the set back problem..That's what can happen when you chamber the same round over and over.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bought my SR1911 Govt. in 2012 which now has several hundred rounds through it including JHP. I also have a SR1911 CMD which I bought in August that only has a couple hundred of hardball as I'm still breaking it in. Neither has had a FTE or FTF . Both are more accurate than I am. I'm sorry that you're having problems. I hope Ruger takes care of you. I own five Ruger firearms and have never had to send anything back to them for service so I have no personal experience with Ruger service. As someone said it sounds more like an ammo problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just a bit of an update. I have not sent my gun in yet, but am ready to do so tomorrow. I have thought from the beginning that I knew what was wrong with my gun, but this is my first 1911 and I have a lot to learn about them. Most people I talked to, including our LGS and range kept telling me it was the ammo. I have read a lot of people saying that these guns shoot anything. I now have 2 different JHP that would not feed.
I have some pics to add here.

This is a photo of the second JHP that does not feed. Notice the line being pointed at?

I have a friend that also has a SR1911 CMD. He brought his barrel for me to look at and compare to my barrel today.

His barrel and one of the JHP.

My barrel with the same round. Pretty easy to see why my pistol is not going into battery.

Both barrels.

When I compared the two barrels I confirmed what I thought all along and I am not sure why Ruger did not catch this the first time in. On my friends barrel, when I look into the chamber, I see the shoulder, then maybe about 1/8 of a tapered throat leading to the rifling. On my barrel, most of the rifling does not have any throat. The full height rifling starts right at the shoulder. This certainly explains the marks on the bullet! I am hoping that this has not caused excess pressure that may have damaged anything.

Anyway, the gun will be sent in tomorrow. I am anxious to get it back!!

Ron

·
Registered
740 Posts
After seeing your photos I checked out my CMD, as I haven't fired any defense rounds through it. Fortunately mine chambers like your friend's. BTW I noticed that your barrel has a stainless barrel link and your friend's has a blued link like mine. I wonder if the barrels are of different lots? On another note, a head spacing issue like that is not only dysfunctional but dangerous. Ruger had better get their QC act together. I just don't understand why the FMJ chambers OK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definate issue! Let us know what Ruger says. I am sure they will take care of you, but this is not good and really a poor reflection on their QC!!

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Sounds like an ammo problem and not a gun problem.

What's the OAL difference between the HP's and the ball ammo.

As far as the set back problem..That's what can happen when you chamber the same round over and over.

What he said. Clean it good, lube it good, get it good and broken in with FMJ, and then try some different brands of HP ammo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just don't understand why the FMJ chambers OK.
I would say that the shape of the bullet has helped me figure out that there was an issue, but the bullet is not the issue.

Ron

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What he said. Clean it good, lube it good, get it good and broken in with FMJ, and then try some different brands of HP ammo.
Your kidding, right?

The gun has been cleaned several times and is very clean. I also lubed it very well. There is nothing I can do to fix this issue short of machining it.

Ron

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have requested a new barrel and bushing.

Ron

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I bought an SR1911 in september of 2011 for a very good price. I now have over 6000 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. I shoot mostly cast 225 gr RN bullets but I have shot a fair am ount of hardball without a problem. Mine even feeds SWC bullets flawlessly. Just lucky I guess!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Appears the leade is in need of champhering. There is no excuse for so many QC issues with Ruger products regardless of high manufacture numbers or the best customer service. Personally I would demand a new barrel or get a refund; it should have passed a QC inspection that was legitimately performed at the factory.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appears the leade is in need of champhering. There is no excuse for so many QC issues with Ruger products regardless of high manufacture numbers or the best customer service. Personally I would demand a new barrel or get a refund; it should have passed a QC inspection that was legitimately performed at the factory.

I would agree!

Ron

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to report back on my gun. I received it back from Ruger on 11/27/2013. I had requested that it be returned overnight as this was the second time the gun had been sent back to Ruger AND because the fact that we were moving. I am happy to let you know that the gun was fixed this time and works perfectly. I know the barrel and the bushing was replaced, though I am not sure if the slide was. I would not have expected that, but I had the dots on my Novak rear sight blacked out and the sights came back white again. Maybe they cleaned them?

Anyway, I am very happy with the gun now. I have shot it a couple of outings now and it performed flawlessly:).

Take care, Ron

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I just wanted to report back on my gun. I received it back from Ruger on 11/27/2013. I had requested that it be returned overnight as this was the second time the gun had been sent back to Ruger AND because the fact that we were moving. I am happy to let you know that the gun was fixed this time and works perfectly. I know the barrel and the bushing was replaced, though I am not sure if the slide was. I would not have expected that, but I had the dots on my Novak rear sight blacked out and the sights came back white again. Maybe they cleaned them?

Anyway, I am very happy with the gun now. I have shot it a couple of outings now and it performed flawlessly:).

Take care, Ron
Good to know they got it right. From your pictures it was obviously the barrel. Excellent photography skills by the way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

Ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts