Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to a monthly multi-gun match today. Planned to do single stack and shotgun, be home before lunch, but some Tyros showed up so I went through a second time to RO for them and to give them a proper introduction. Anyhow, ran my SR1911 second time as Limited 10. So all that shooting was more then I had planned today. Poof, my favorite gun is now over 10,000 rounds in my log. Still going strong, still no issues, still puts a sheet eatin' grin on my face every time I get her out.

That is all, thought I'd share my little news :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Good news.
Apparently I do not get out nearly enough with my SR1911.
I am only up to 800 rounds and I have had mine since May 2011.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news.
Apparently I do not get out nearly enough with my SR1911.
I am only up to 800 rounds and I have had mine since May 2011.
that is about as early as we could get it unless you have connections ;) I got mine 3 May 11, 2 days after release, I still consider myself lucky on that :) A hint to increase your round count - get into weekly practical matches, monthly USPSA and monthly Multigun - seems to have put rounds through mine ;)

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Well, you sure have me beat on the round count, but not at all surprised about how well the SR is doing. Mine has been 100% reliable for over 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Good grief 10,000 rounds on a Kimber you'd be going on to your 21st recoil spring as my Kimber manual says to change it every 500 rds. I've only got got about 500 rds thru my SR 1911. Love that gun.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, 10K rounds is great, I'm only up to 600 but it still makes me smile too.
Have you replaced anything yet (springs or other)?
It's good to know it's proving so reliable.
no replacements yet. Only mod has been a drop in mag well on arched MSH, which I really like for both the grip and improved speed of reloads. Guess it is due for recoil spring. There seems to be two schools of thought: 1. replace at some frequency, seems to vary by gun brand 2. as an older gent who has shot 1911s his entire life told me - "it's a 1911, replace parts when they break". Think I'll order a 14 pound spring, bet the original factory 16 pound is less then that by now
Good grief 10,000 rounds on a Kimber you'd be going on to your 21st recoil spring as my Kimber manual says to change it every 500 rds. I've only got got about 500 rds thru my SR 1911. Love that gun.
Kimber every 500 rounds! I did not know that. Wow, I have had days that would be close to half of that, sometimes more then half of that. Yikes. Another proof that SR1911 is best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For a range gun, definitely replace as they break. For a carry gun, or something for home defense I would reaplace some things likes springs prophylactically...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a range gun, definitely replace as they break. For a carry gun, or something for home defense I would reaplace some things likes springs prophylactically...
good point - I had carried the SR1911 but it is a range gun now, since getting an XDs45. Guess I'll get on with getting a spring - it would suck to be stranded in middle of a match.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Funny, I just ordered a XDm45 5.25 Comp kit. It should be in on Monday, and after the ILL-i-noise waiting period, I'll get to check it out on Thursday. What do you think of the XDs?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny, I just ordered a XDm45 5.25 Comp kit. It should be in on Monday, and after the ILL-i-noise waiting period, I'll get to check it out on Thursday. What do you think of the XDs?
I really like it. Had done lots of research and tried several of the small 9s. I found the XDs much more natural to shoot. Over at XDtalk there are some complaints about light strikes and feeding issues, but I have had no such issues. I have found that need to be very aggressive when chambering by racking the slide, but that works for me. I pretty much knew that a small gun would not handle like a big 1911.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
no replacements yet. Only mod has been a drop in mag well on arched MSH, which I really like for both the grip and improved speed of reloads. Guess it is due for recoil spring. There seems to be two schools of thought: 1. replace at some frequency, seems to vary by gun brand 2. as an older gent who has shot 1911s his entire life told me - "it's a 1911, replace parts when they break". Think I'll order a 14 pound spring, bet the original factory 16 pound is less then that by nowKimber every 500 rounds! I did not know that. Wow, I have had days that would be close to half of that, sometimes more then half of that. Yikes. Another proof that SR1911 is best bang for the buck.
Sorry reread manual Kimbers recoil spring replace every 800 rds,firing pin spring 5000 rds and main spring 5000 rds I don't see anything like that for Ruger and your living proof that they don't have to be replaced as often as Kimbers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since an SR1911 is on my must-have short list, it's great to read of it's excellent reliability and durability!

Kenny

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I'm not even in the race..... :eek:
Now reloading, things should change..... :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sorry reread manual Kimbers recoil spring replace every 800 rds,firing pin spring 5000 rds and main spring 5000 rds I don't see anything like that for Ruger and your living proof that they don't have to be replaced as often as Kimbers.
Is Kimber just being overly careful here or did Ruger figure out a way to make a more durable 1911?

Seeing how my only experience with 1911s is with rental guns (Ruger, Springfield, and Para) I have no idea how they compare in terms of durability. I just know they all functioned while I tried them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts