Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a used SR40c last week on a trade (through armslist.com). It was advertised as LNIB. After driving 45min. to the contact point, I was slightly disappointed because the photo in the ad was taken in such a way - angle, lighting - that it indeed looked LNIB... but inspection left a little to be desired. Yet, I had already decided that if it was in the ballpark I'd go ahead with the trade 'cause I had a 9mm that wasn't getting much use... and I've had a mild hankering for an SR40c since they came out.

There was holster wear in the whole trigger-guard area. I cleaned that up a bit with some very fine (1200 grit I think) paper.

I ordered (and installed) a 14 lb. stainless steel guiderod assembly ($40) and a polished metal striker shaft/indicator ($22)... (from Galloway Precision in NC).

I also upgraded to a much stronger striker spring because my initial range trial revealed that the gun, as-is, was performing miserably at @20% misfires due to light strikes.

A little internet research showed that this light-strike tendency is about the most common major complaint regarding this series of guns (though most of them are fine). So, I figured right away that this was probably the reason that the gun was up for trade... The previous owner didn't want to deal with it.

Amateur tinkerer that I am, I wasn't bothered too much by the challenge as I'm retired and kinda need projects to do anyhow. So I got real familiar with my striker assembly and after some trial and error finally got a strong enough spring in there to get it running 100%. I'm not gonna say 'zactly how strong a spring I used 'cause I'm NO EXPERT and don't want anyone relying on my advice regarding such a hugely IMPORTANT part... So don't bother asking, thanks.

I also epoxied a square of thin polymer to the back of the lower part of the magwell 'cause I hate loose mags, especially one such as the 15 rounder (which is integral to good gripping). I don't care about speedy mag-drops and changes... I just like them as tight as reasonably possible and don't mind pulling on them a bit to change them. That's just me. I also epoxied the lower gripper on the 15-rounder 'cause I didn't like that just being loose either. (A .40 is a powerful handful... I don't like ANYTHING loose on such a gun.)

Here are a couple pertinent pics showing the end of the new SS guiderod in the front... and the metal indicator in the back.

That's my story... So far, so good... A very handy and versatile gun for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Like that polished striker indicator. That looks pretty sweet. Thinking that an SR9 is moving up on the wish list.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,812 Posts
Very nice! Love to see a good gun get rescued, restored and given a new lease on life. Thanks for sharing - you've given me some things to watch for on my SR40C.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all... Yeah, as with most Rugers... they're good values.
This one rounds my collection out nicely... (At least for awhile... heh heh...)

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Looks nice! Fortunately, I've never had a single jam or misfire with my SR40c. I wonder if the previous owner put a reduced power spring in it? Or possibly never cleaned the original factory gunk out of there. That could definitely cause light strikes.

Glad you got it going. Enjoy!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
possibly never cleaned the original factory gunk out of there.
I hear ya'... That was my first thought too... But it wasn't gunked up at all. Still, I gave it a very thorough cleaning. Didn't make any difference.

I get the feeling it had been carried a lot but not shot much... There isn't much wear on any internal parts or even the mags.

Kind of a mystery about the light strikes but it's a mystery which apparently affects a small percentage of the line. Internet chatter I've read reveals that some owners have just sent theirs into Ruger CS and they've returned them running fine... Don't know the details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts