Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY Taurus "THE JUDGE" Ribber Grip MOD...<:))

"RIBS"~You Say Ribs~I Don't Need No "S T I N K I N G" Middle Finger Ribs...!!!
My trip to the Range revealed a problem that I had read about in other reviews... Your Middle Finger just below your Trigger Finger is a persons longest, biggest finger, and the Ribber Grip is flawed in its design, in that it leaves little room between the Trigger Guard, and Grip...!!! I found the the Ribs under the Middle finger really don't compress, but fold over, and don't let that middle finger sink into the Grip hardly at all...!!! I found that shooting caused the Trigger Guard to jack back and Ding the back of your middle finger a little bit... After 20 shots of +P's you knew you were being picked on...

Well, there is a easy Mod, that can be seen in the Grip Mod Picture below...<:)) The Grip is in its natural molded satin finish, so I got My Dremel Tool out, and 1/2" round stone bit, and proceeded test it out on the interfearing Ribs... WOW... it ground them down so nice, and I could remove them down to solid rubber, and blend, taper them back so perfectly, that it looks like it was factory Molded, and the finish the stone made was a perfect match...!!!... Amazing... Its totally undetectable, that it wasn't molded that way...!!!

How did it work... Great, now my middle finger is placed properly in its own groove, and the Gun Sticks better when Jacking up after a shot...<:)) You can see clearly in the comparison sample I made in PhotoShop, of what my Grip looks like now...<:)) The problem can be seen clearly in the photo... We all were being bumped by the trigger guard...!!!....??? But was so easy to fix...<:))

TAURUS Factory Grip INFO: Coming To Grips With "THE JUDGE"
The grips on the new "THE JUDGE" are Taurus’ patented Ribber design. They absorb recoil and increase controllability tremendously, which is a very important factor in firing a 24-ounce, full-power-magnum handgun. A handgun’s direct recoil impact ordinarily does two things to the hand: It slams the backstrap against the web of the palm and wedges the angle of the grip downward, working to break the shooter’s grasp. Ergonomic grip designs can compensate by providing cushioning for the palm over the backstrap and by securing the purchase of the fingers against the frontstrap. The Taurus Ribber grip does both.

Molded from a soft-textured polymer, the Ribber’s backstrap is thickly cushioned around the reduced-dimension inner titanium grip-frame, and the front and sides of the grip are formed by wraparound, closely spaced, small elastomer ribs. These softly flexible ribs (visualize them as three-dimensional teeth on a comb) deform and squeeze together when grasped, shaping themselves into a natural “fingergroove” configuration that molds to the individual shape and surface of the palm and fingers of the specific hand. Released, they return to natural, ready for the next different grasp. Plus the many small ridges greatly increase the surface area contact between the grip and your palm compared to conventional solid-surface grips.

This is a major advance in grip technology. We have long known that the most effective handgun grips for keeping a secure grasp against direct recoil are those with fingergrooves—but only if the fingergrooves match the shooter’s hand. Unfortunately, no one shape or size, no matter how “average,” can fit every shooter’s hand (“one size fits all” always means no size exactly fits). The Ribber solves the problem, creating an individual “custom” fingergroove fit self-molded to the individual hand every time you pick it up. It provides a remarkably comfortable and controlling grasp on lightweight titanium guns, even the snubnose Total Titanium .41 Magnum, even in rapid fire. It’s the best, most secure revolver grip design I’ve ever encountered. I hope Taurus will license it to aftermarket accessory manufacturers for application to other manufacturers’ handgun models.

"RIBS"~You Say Ribs~I Don't Need No "S T I N K I N G" Middle Finger Ribs...!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sharp idea...sharp execution-even LOOKS better....I like it...my hand has never fit fingered grips...anybody's...so it's been Packy Presentation or Compac for me...Compac since I don't uniform carry anymore-these Ribbers look(in the modified form) perfect ...I've never had a problem with the rubber grabbing clothes and drawing slow-my hand is covering them by that time...I haven't carried a wood grip since there were termites......:D

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I like that look Sarge. Good job.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Good job Sarge! My 45ACP Taurus Tracker pinches my finger. I might try your fix instad of buying a different grip. [8D]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kansas45,... I see that same small Grip relief, just like my "JUDGE"...<:-((
Nice looking piece of "S W E E T S T E E L"...<:))
I took my Grip off, and Dremel'ed it some, checked it in my hand, and did that about 3 or 4 times... About 20 minuets, taking care not to over do it... I don't have a Put Back ON Dremel Tool...<:))

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Tracker.htm

<center>
</center>

BUT,... there is one other thing... How long is Your Barrel...
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
A job well done there.
Been years back but i remember trying to do the same thing to a set of fg grips--resulted in a hole being made in the grip as it seems the fg was hollow.[:0][B)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts