Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first one I built was the AR on the left using an 18” ARP barrel in 6.8 SPC.
The one in the middle started its life off as a Savage 110 Tactical in .308. After doing an ARP 18” barrel and bolt swap along with a mag modification, this has become my favorite deer rifle. Truly a one of a kind.
Not being able to get enough off the 6.8, I decided to sell off my 223 Wylde and consolidate with one caliber. After looking for sometime, I finally found this mint condition Mini 14 in 6.8 SPC.
Wood Art Shotgun Rocket Missile

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUGEON
119 Posts
Congrats on your liking for a good workhorse caliber . Good choice on your carbines and long gun .

Reactions: Nontypical

·
"The Real Deal"
8,624 Posts
I like the 6.8spc as well, have one of those and one of the 6.5 grendels in an AR too. In addtion i have 3 of the 25-45 sharps chambered rifles, and the 450 bushmaster, all are great shooters and would do well as hunting firearms.

I reload for all of them as well. Only annoying thing about the 6.8spc is that some of the brass makers use a large rifle primer like remington. SAA, and Hornady use the small rifle primer which i like better. Its very similiar to the issue with some 45acp brass.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Really love your choices! Nice find on the recent Mini 14 in 6.8 SPC.
*Kudos on the AR build. (never trade or sell IMHO)
*How hard was it to convert the .308?
*I have been look for a Mini for awhile now but keep getting out bid and or they are STILL sold out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really love your choices! Nice find on the recent Mini 14 in 6.8 SPC.
*Kudos on the AR build. (never trade or sell IMHO)
*How hard was it to convert the .308?
*I have been look for a Mini for awhile now but keep getting out bid and or they are STILL sold out.
Thanks. The hardest part of the 308-6.8 conversion was sourcing the barrel. ARP did a limited run of barrels a while ago and I was able to find one from someone who decided not to use it. I’m sure there are plenty of other places to get a barrel made. The bolt head also had to be replaced. I purchased one from PTG. The mag that the Savage uses is an AICS mag, but they don’t make it in 6.8. I was able to modify a 224 mag by just grinding down the follower slightly and adding a filler block because the OAL is a touch shorter. Overall it was a very simple conversion.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,624 Posts
Probably a good thing that I refuse to use Remington. Lol. I stocked up pretty well last year with Federal, Hornady, and SSA/Nosler.
Well in these times i dont toss them like i used too, its harder to replace them, so i just seperate them until this maddness ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts