Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rested group, but this gun is about as accurate as any defensive sidearm I've ever owned, auto or revolver. It simply amazes me with its accuracy for an affordable service type pistol. And, the trigger is danged decent, makes a great match pistol for action games like IDPA. I've fired it quite a bit in matches, armed with a Ruger in a sea of 1911s and Glocks. LOL But, I've held my own and won some local stuff with it. I got rid of my 1911s after getting this thing and never looked back. I really prefer DA guns to SA or "safe action".

I like to use my P85 in IDPA (haven't shot a match in quite a while), but it cannot match that P90 for accuracy or trigger. The trigger is stiff and the SA has a little creep to it. It shoots about 2.5" groups for best groups rested at 25 yards. But, it's got the tapered mags that make speed reloads quicker and it's got less muzzle flip making shooting a little quicker.

For momentum games like pins or pepper poppers, heavy plates that take momentum to knock over, the .45 always gets the call. I really prefer it for shooting even IDPA, but for the fact that I sometimes have trouble getting a mag in that mag well which frustrates me. The 9 reloads a lot slicker. I might be tempted to spend some money on it if I could find a good pistol smith that could do a good bevel job on the mag well, not an easy job to do the way it's designed.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yep,
You gonna find a lot of folks here that like the p90--including me.
Have you got any pet cast loads for her?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Lee 200 grain SWC mold is a rounded nosed bullet that even fed in one of my 1911s (wouldn't feed much, but ball). Of course, the P90 will feed anything without chokin', or at least I haven't found anything that will choke it, but this bullet is quite accurate, what I used on the target to the right, and makes a great practice load in front of 5 grains of bullseye. I shoot it for about everything from competition to field carry, though my self defense load is the old "flying ashtray" Speer with a healthy charge of Unique. I have a small stash of those bullets, don't shoot 'em, 'cause they're no longer available. But, the 200 grain Speer gold dot is available, just haven't tried it, yet.

I also have a +P handload I worked up for that 200 grain SWC to carry when I used to hunt hogs with a guy using dogs. We killed 'em with a knife, but I always carried the P90 just in case and wanted something with some punch. That load puts up a little over 500 ft lbs. I have better guns for that (.45 colt Blackhawk) now days, but haven't hunted hogs with dogs in years, but that load makes a pretty decent outdoor round for the gun. It's the 200 grain SWC behind 12 grains of blue dot. It has some kick to it, but the P90 is a tough enough gun to handle it. I do have a 16 lb 1911 spring in the gun which handles every load I feed it and reduces any slide battering from the hot stuff.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Outstanding!!
Once upon a time that flying ashtray was the acid test for many a 45 for feed realibility.
Worked just fine in my p90!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Nice guns and shooting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts