Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For now anyway, lol. All of the plug and play Single Six parts were in stainless and beadblasted as were the MIM Wrangler hammer and trigger. The midway birdshead frame needed nothing but the beadblast. The stainless loading gate from a Single Six did not work (very different profiles) this is a silver Wrangler gate and the match is good enough for my taste. I installed a set of Wolff springs and I now plan to switch the base pin latch spring back to stock, the Wolff 17lb hammer and 30oz trigger made a huge improvement. The grips are Altamont bonded ivory and the coins are 1850s 3 cent silver pieces, I really like their design (graphic) for this use, it has been a fav coin of mine for a long time and this is the first time I have inlayed them but not the last. The egg yolk patina did not work but the liver of sulfur worked super well. My Wife and I are taking the tu-tone Wrangler and a few other 22s to the range tomorrow. The "build" was great fun and done totally for that reason, however I would recommend the Wolff springs to anyone with this pistol.
Thanks for looking,
Vince

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
That’s the best looking Wrangler I’ve seen so far... very nice job!
The coins are an especially neat touch too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you, I can't keep my hands off it tonight

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well Done! I hope that Ruger brings one out like yours. I need at least 2.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I had a lot of fun with this, my next set of coins will turn out even better I think. I have some heavily figured Florida Rosemary Longleaf Pine that my Son is going to make a set of grips out of for his Wrangler and they will get a pair of coins as well. Now whenever I am in a coin venue I look for 3c silvers in suitable condition (read cheap), I have 3 extra ones now and a big coin show here locally coming up this month.

It does seem like Ruger could easily cast a birdshead frame in Zamak3 and it shouldn't affect the price at all. Personally I do like that the only zinc alloy part is gone from my pistol :) But even at $73.99 on Cyber Monday you cannot call it cost effective. But a Zamak3 frame would be way less expensive than either the blue or stainless aftermarket ones.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Fantastic job!

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
441 Posts
Great job and good pictures, sir! I am impressed that the birdshead grip from Midway only required bead blasting. Ruger must have upped their ante on casting these as I’ve seen here, before, that they needed a lot of file work ... :(

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Grip frames are cast and rough finished oversized so they can be fitted to the main frame. The main frames are not perfectly uniform so for a good mating between the two there has to be an allowance for fitting. That's also why the carbon steel grip frames are in the white - fit first, blue later.

The Wrangler grip frame may be injection molded. It would make sense - MIM parts come out of the mold within pretty tight tolerances. The Wrangler looks to have a MIM hammer, trigger, loading gate and possibly the grip frame to me. The tolerances are a bit looser than my Single Sixes but that doesn't seem to affect function. It's how they can minimize hand fitting and come up with a model that just needs assembly in minutes.

The grip frame to main frame fit on my Wrangler is nothing to brag about but well within acceptable standards for a new gun that I bought for $179.99. Since I like doing birdshead grip frame conversions on other Ruger SAs I hope they don't try to put out "better finished" grip frames. I would rather get the fit right myself and having oversized edges lets you bring it in to match the main frame.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again to you Waveform. The Midway grip frame does have some very sharp corners and edges, but the fit to the Wrangler frame was a tight as the original grip frame was imo. The Altamont grips fit just fine but the overall contours are not as smooth and transitional as some C&R birdshead grips I have and that I have seen, but it is really pleasing overall.

After speaking to a Ruger tech about the anomalous pawl spacer in the Wrangler he told me of their set of pliers they have to hold the loading gate spring depressed as to allow the trigger pin to be placed into final position. I rigged up a small pair of vice grips to do this and they worked quite well. The bottom jaw rests against the frame inside the cylinder opening and has a strip off the back of a worn out leather glove glued to the jaw, the other jaw has a small piece of white oak glued to it, nothing actually touches the frame and it holds the spring out of the way until the pin is seated.

The range trip today was a blast, my Wife had fun, we shot 4 different rimfire pistols including the non-paper weight equipped one. Several people liked liked and commented on the birdshead Wrangler.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like the color contrast you chose. You made the right parts the lighter color to contrast nicely with the black Wrangler.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Vince .... I LIKE IT !!!

Job well done and it looks awesome .
Gary

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, my Son may be down from college (Gainesville) this weekend and we can shoot the pair of them, he is excited.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts