Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in the form of some Aguila Colibrí rounds.

Product Rectangle Office supplies Font Packaging and labeling

And BTW, that's pronounced A-gee-lah koh-lee-BREE (the plural being Colibríes, koh-lee-BREE-es).

I've been wanting to try the Aguila Colibrí rounds for some time now. I've only used standard velocity .22lr in my Wrangler thus far, except for one occasion when I fired a few shorts through it at a friend's. And I just couldn't find this specific Mexican ammo on the shelves in town.

Well, the other day I was ordering ammo in other calibers as well as some gear and cleaning supplies, and I just decided to order a few boxes of the Colibri ammo (the regular ones, not the Super). And today I tried them doing some backyard target practice.

From comments made about them and YT videos, I was expecting them to be as quiet as an air gun or cap gun. Well, it's been a l-o-n-g time since I've fired a cap gun, but the Colibrí rounds were louder than my recollection of that. An I would say louder than an air rifle. Still, they're pretty quiet. I didn't have my ears on, intentionally, because I wanted to know how loud they'd be. They didn't leave my ears ringing or hurt them, they just weren't as quiet as I thought they might be.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with these. I have some locked in the back of a closet that I've been meaning to test out myself.

Did the slower velocity result in any noticeable change in point of aim/point of impact?

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,116 Posts
The Colibri rounds contain no powder and rely on the priming compound to generate enough pressure to propel the small bullet through the bore. Be very careful using them in a revolver where you lose some of what little pressure there is through the barrel/cylinder gap. If the bullet fails to clear the muzzle and then you fire a standard round next you will likely damage the gun. I use the Colibri rounds in a single shot rifle to control pests on my back deck at home. They have a report very similar to a pellet gun when fired from a rifle barrel. The low velocity and light projectile limit their range to distances better measured in feet instead of yards. Squirrels on my bird feeders drop to head shots at 15 feet. Teaching young children basic safety and marksmanship is another great use for these rounds. Getting the kids prone on a shooting mat at 20 feet allows teaching sight alignment without scary blast and noise. Changing out the paper targets for plastic farm animals from the dollar store keeps youngsters engaged.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
ngasshooter, I have had the same results when shooting Colibri. I don't have much use for mine. I don't have squirrels at my bird feeders and I don't think they work well on racoons. But they are fun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We live within the city limits, but that doesn't keep us from having racoons and possums come around. And we have to deal with those varmits 'cuz we also keep chickens (permissible by city code, as long as we don't keep roosters, just hens). So that's what I was thinking of primarily when I ordered the Colibríes.

When dealing with such pests, I have not and will not fire off a standard velocity .22lr round in the city, but I've actually had to kill a possum that got into the coop and wedged itself underneath the nesting boxes. So I basically was within arm's reach of that varmit and used a pitchfork to kill it. That worked, but it was a little bit too close-quarters-combat for my liking. I decided then that if I ever got even close to that situation again, I'd just shoot it with a.22, and the quieter the round the better. Hence the Aguila Colibríes.

I haven't tried them out on any kind of critter yet, whether squirrel, racoon or possum. So I don't know (yet?) from firsthand experience that it will be lethal at any distance. But again, I'm not thinking of firing across the backyard at night, but using them at basically very close range/in close proximity. I'm talkin' about 6-10 feet here, roughly. At that distance, I'm confident I can put one or two rounds in a varmit's ear, or else one in each eye socket. I'd be surprised if that wasn't effective.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience with these. I have some locked in the back of a closet that I've been meaning to test out myself.

Did the slower velocity result in any noticeable change in point of aim/point of impact?
When I was firing a few of them off yesterday, I was primarily concerned with how loud they were. I don't have a decibel meter or even such an app on my phone (perhaps that can be a point of discussion in a later thread), I was just getting an impression of how they sounded to my unprotected ears right on the spot, and wondering if they would even get the attention of my neighbors.

That said, point of impact seemed to be a little low, but not a drastic difference. Of course, I was firing into my homemade bullet trap from about 10-12 feet away, so bear that in mind. At any rate, it was easy to compensate.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I haven't tried the Colibri yet but I have shot the Aguila HV with good results. I do have a couple of hundred CCI CB Caps that are really quiet from my old Winchester single shot. Quieter than my buddies high end air rifle for sure ... it really (((pops))) while the CBs sound like a cap pistol.

I also picked up a couple of bricks of the CCI Quiet last summer but I haven't shot any of it yet ... I'm looking forward to seeing how "quiet" it really is. And come to think of it I have an old box of .22 longs too .... Oooo ... I can do a sound test! I'll have to hunt up a box or two of the Colibri and do a serious ammo shootout.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
ngasshooter, I have had the same results when shooting Colibri. I don't have much use for mine. I don't have squirrels at my bird feeders and I don't think they work well on racoons. But they are fun.
I'm sorry to hear you don't have any squirrels , PM me a shipping address and I'll send you a box full of the pesky beggars ... is 6 enough ... is 12 too many !
PS don't open the box inside your house ...nothing worse than a house full of squirrels running around ... they will keep you up most of the night !
Gary

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry to hear you don't have any squirrels , PM me a shipping address and I'll send you a box full of the pesky beggars ... is 6 enough ... is 12 too many !
PS don't open the box inside your house ...nothing worse than a house full of squirrels running around ... they will keep you up most of the night !
Gary
😄😆😂🤣

I didn't say I don't have any squirrels; I said I haven't tried the Mexican hummingbird rounds on any of the arboreal rodents...yet. We have a big pecan tree in the back yard. Squirrel visitations are a daily occurrence. Bella, my Bocker Speagle (Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix) goes ballistic when she senses one is down out of the tree and in the yard. We have double doors leading out onto our back deck, and the blinds built into those doors are usually shut. But somehow Bella knows when one has descended from the heights.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
@largo , the louder-than-expected report you're hearing from those colibris might have to do with the fact that you're shooting them from a revolver. That cylinder gap lets out a lot of pressure that might otherwise be relieved within the barrel of a closed action. If you have a semi-auto, you might notice that they're more pellet gun-like in decibel level.

I'd actually like to get a box to try in my Walther P-22.

·
Registered
738 Posts
For rifles , it's Super Colibri for me.
Years ago I was shooting a Mossberg 44 in my shop doing some trigger testing with the standard Colibris .
So quiet I cranked off 4 then went to check the target. DANG, no holes, DANG PANIC.
Pulled the bolt and started pushing out with a cleaning rod . Thankfully they moved quite easy.
Now the funny part was as each of the 4 exited the muzzle there was a satisfying POP.
The little buggers actually sealed in the bore so well they compressed air between each one preventing any bore damage.
YAY!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@largo , the louder-than-expected report you're hearing from those colibris might have to do with the fact that you're shooting them from a revolver. That cylinder gap lets out a lot of pressure that might otherwise be relieved within the barrel of a closed action. If you have a semi-auto, you might notice that they're more pellet gun-like in decibel level.

I'd actually like to get a box to try in my Walther P-22.
You're probably right about the loudness of the report in revolvers vs. semi-auto pistols. Thing is, I greatly prefer revolvers to semi-autos (it's largely a southpaw thing). So my application of choice for dispatching a possum, in town, at close range, will be a revolver loaded with quiet rounds, hence the experimenting with the Aguila Colibrí rounds.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You're probably right about the loudness of the report in revolvers vs. semi-auto pistols. Thing is, I greatly prefer revolvers to semi-autos (it's largely a southpaw thing). So my application of choice for dispatching a possum, in town, at close range, will be a revolver loaded with quiet rounds, hence the experimenting with the Aguila Colibrí rounds.
Well, the Colibris out of your revolver will still be quieter than standard rounds out of it. The nice thing about using them in the revolver is that it doesn't rely on rounds being hot enough to cycle the action. With semi-autos, I understand that the action has to be manually cycled between shots because the Colibris won't generate sufficient recoil to do it. Of course, that's to be expected when only the primer is what's pushing the projectile.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, in just about every video I've watched and everything I've read, it's been said that the Colibrí rounds won't cycle the action of a semi-auto. For what I want them for, however, that isn't an issue. I bought 3 boxes/150 rounds, and plan to target practice with enough of them to get familiar with them. After that, I'll pretty much save them for pest control within city limits. For plinking purposes, I've got plenty of standard velocity .22lr ammo for that.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Yeah, in just about every video I've watched and everything I've read, it's been said that the Colibrí rounds won't cycle the action of a semi-auto. For what I want them for, however, that isn't an issue. I bought 3 boxes/150 rounds, and plan to target practice with enough of them to get familiar with them. After that, I'll pretty much save them for pest control within city limits. For plinking purposes, I've got plenty of standard velocity .22lr ammo for that.
Post some range results of the Colibri - Wrangler accuracy ... interested in how accurate they are .
Pest controll requires a accurate load and these might be useful in the Wrangler .
Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts